• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to owning a Parrot, seeking help- Sad Update Post #73

MooShu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calin
He isn't losing weight.
And probably that could be it.
I'm offering him 2 spoons of the combined seeds and 2 spoons of millet.
I'll stop this "millet" diet at once. I'll give him only that mix of seeds.
Here's a pic of his wing feathers. I'm asking again, shall I bathe him?
26857532_2034115490133230_1549255634_n.jpg

It doesn't look good does it?

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
If it doesn't stress him out you can try gently bathing him with a washcloth soaked in warm water, it might be a process though.

Could you post a picture of the spoons that you're using to measure? I know this sounds really specific, but making sure the quantity of food is appropriate is important! My idea of a spoon might be different from what you're using

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
It doesn't look good does it?
If my TD could go from this:
VID_20170523_105200554_fx10.jpg
VID_20170523_105200554_fx17.jpg
to this:
TD DAY 09.jpg
to this:
TDs1stYam02.jpg
to this:
IMG_20171208_121610746_BURST002.jpg

I know that your little one will flourish! And that all in the animal community in your location will benefit from having you as a veterinarian! Post some pictures of your birdy!

MooShu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calin
I don't use inches so here's in cm :
The spoon is 11.5 cm long, and the head is 2 cm wide, 0.5 cm deep. Hope it helps. Don't thing a pic can help you get the real size of it.

I think I would stress him out. He usually just comes to my hand to take sunflower seeds then runs away with it and eats it. If my hand gets to close to him he spooks.
I've managed to pet him once or twice but he's not the kind to accept hands that easily yet.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Have you tried putting out a shallow pan of warm water and splashing in it first with your hand to entice him? Or maybe a very fine, light misting? Sorry if you already mentioned you tried this. If you have, keep trying. My tiels only like to bathe in the morning and on sunny days.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
My tiels only like to bathe in the morning and on sunny days.
TD would get wet every day if he could! I usually just mist him with a plant mister. Lately, though, he's taken to splashing in a shallow bowl of water!

MooShu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calin
He's doing great. He's still dirty, I don't have the time in the morning to wash him. I'm in the exam session. But he's flying again and singing. And he's gotten used to my hand ^_^.
92972679-171f-4f71-9b66-e9f1ed6cf665.jpg

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
It looks like you're making progress! That's wonderful!

Reactions: Jas

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I'm glad he's feeling better! He's a real cutie. :heart:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that he is doing better and you are making progress.

MooShu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calin
Well. Here are the bad news.
MooShu Died last night.
I came from the university. Went there for the majority of the day to study for the exams.
When I came back home, MooShu was laying on his belly sleeping in the cage.
I was scared, didn't knew what to do. I grabbed him in my and and that was a clear message for me. He never like me touching him, but then he didn't even try to fly away. His right foot was paralyzed. With his left foot he was grabbing onto my finger, but like a soft and weak grab, not a strong grip. His head was falling down, like he couldn't keep it up right. He was dizzy and sleepy, falling asleep on my hand.
At first I laid him down in front of me and tried to search online for something, as it was 10 p.m. and the vets were closed. While I was searching online, he started to crawl with his beak and wings. His fingers were closed. I grabbed him again, and while I was walking towards his cage, he started having a seizure in my hands. Waited until he stopped moving then laid him down on the cage bottom. I knew he would die until the morning. After the seizure he entered a coma.

I was sad and disappointed that I could not save him. Almost started crying when I had to put the cover on his cage for "the last time".
Damn.

This morning he was laying cold. Droppings around him. But the most sad thing were his eyes. Half open, and they looked like glass. Like he cried and his tears froze. That's the impression it was giving me. Of course they weren't frozen, the room temperature was at 20 grades C but still. A sad moment indeed.

I speculate that he was sick from the beginning. An virus of some kind?
Like, he was having watery poops almost all the time. I was giving him medication, treatments that you guys suggested, and I even dewormed him.
I don't know what to say.
I tried my best. But at last, it wasn't enough.

I won't try again with another parrot for a month or so. I'll clean my room as thoroughly as possible and the cage as well. If there was a virus, I need to kill it before I bring in any other bird.

Sorry if I annoyed you on this forum. I hope your birds stay healthy and safe. No one wants this happening to them.

Have a good day.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I am so sorry for your loss. :sorrow:

It is so hard to lose them. My male cockatiel died over a year ago and it still hurts. He fought so hard, he was sick for over 10 days and we went to the vet multiple times but they were not able to save him.

I know you are studying in veterinary school. Learn all you can - it will help your next bird. And before you get another one, let yourself grieve for Moo Shu ... and stock up on medication like Ronex... and if there are no avian vets at your school, find one somewhere that will help you. :(

Please stay in touch with us here. You did not annoy us, we welcome you and your questions.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for your loss.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So very sorry for your loss.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
:sorrow:

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
So truly sorry. I was following Mooshu's progress and rejoicing with every step!
You did everything you could do. Grieve for your friend, but don't close your heart to another bird who may need you!

You bothered no one. Good luck in your studies. Hope to see you on the Avenue again soon.