• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Parront Conure with abnormal droppings? please help.

Tonya Bautista

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi guys, I recently took in a Sun Conure and have never owned a bird. I am still learning. Here's a few facts; My guy was on a seed only diet when I got him. I have just in the last couple of days switched him to a pelleted diet, along with some sweet potato and a grape here and there. He's tried corn on 16729651_1730647337264596_1638043082_n.jpg 16709629_1731157420546921_2033709357_o.jpg the cob, fresh, flax seed (only today) and a couple of other veggies. The problem is that in the last several days, he's had some little bubbles in his poop and Spider-web like white urates. It hasn't been every dropping, only a dark green, soupy one first thing in the morning and maybe a few green ones with white urates throughout the day. occasionally some brown droppings with white. He was at the Vet's office last Tuesday and the vet said he looked great. He doesn't seem lethargic or ill... he is very high-energy and he gets at least 13 hours of sleep a day. Is it possible that the change in his diet, from seed only, to pelleted and fresh has caused this change in his poop?

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Was your vet a certified avian veterinarian? Did he do a gram stain and bloodwork? There should not be bubbles in the poo. If your vet did not do a poop check and bloodwork, I would find a vet who is certified and have him rechecked to be sure.
Yes, some food can alter the color and consistency of the poo. The more watery the food, the more watery the poo. Grapes will do that. Poo should be a dark green to brown color.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
And Welcome to the Avenue!

Tonya Bautista

Checking out the neighborhood
yes, the vet I took him to was a Certified vet but did not do any bloodwork or gram strain. He was eating a couple of grapes a day until yesterday, when I toned it down.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
That may be the issue. Check his droppings in the morning and see if they are more normal after a day without grapes. If not better, get the avian vet to do the poo check and bloodwork to make sure there isn't a problem.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
And just a fore warning: if they eat raspberry, blackberry, or blueberry the poo changes colors. Many have panicked over the red color and then remember what they ate. LoL!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Bloodwork and gram stains should be some of the first things any avian vet does when they see a new bird. This helps to get a baseline to start from and to ensure the bird is healthy. It can cost $100-$500 to do these tests... it will vary by location and what all is performed.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Urine looks somewhat greenish. Could be a bleed through from solid portion. Watch the urine to see if its colorless when first pooped.

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Corn, blueberries and apples all make my gcc poop runny and colored differently. Sweet potatoes make it soft and orange. Never seen bubbles though.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is your bird? Any updates? Hope that he is doing OK. It's always good to have blood work and cultures done when you get a new bird. This way you can get a baseline and have a more thorough exam to make sure there aren't any issues.