• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

NEW NANDAY CONURE!

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
I really love the double high Midwest Critter Nation for birds and cannot recommend it enough.

Pros:
  • Larger than the average flight cage for small-medium birds. 36"Wx24"Dx48"H with 1/2" bar spacing.
  • Good price and easy to find secondhand. I got mine secondhand for only $150, but brand new on Amazon is still less than $300.
  • Sturdy and escape-proof. The construction quality is solid and the doors are virtually impossible for the animal inside to learn to open.
  • Doors open wide. This makes cleaning and rearranging much easier than a cage with smaller doors.
  • Horizontal bars. I cannot begin to tell you how much I love this. It seems like such a small thing, but the horizontal bars are so much easier for my busy bird to climb and they make toy and perch customization much easier.
  • Transportable. The cage comes apart completely into panels for easy transport.
  • Customizable. There are ways to buy more double high units and connect them to make increasingly wider versions if you would like to provide upgrades.
Cons:
  • Not made for birds. It isn't designed for birds, so it needs a tiny bit of adjustment to be suitable. All I did was not install the interior shelves and ziptie the middle grate panel about 4 inches above the bottom of the cage for poop and other waste to drop through easily. Perfect!
  • Setup can be a bit frustrating. There are no screws, so the panels fit together like Legos. Sometimes they don't fit together quite as well as you'd like, though. Not that big of a deal as long as you aren't setting it up and taking it down too often.
Some pictures of my cage are attached. Poppy loves it.

In one of the pics, you can see it next to one of our tiel's flight cages. The Critter Nation looks huge next to it.

Attachments

Guava123

Walking the driveway
Tops pellets, BirdTricks cookbook, BirdTricks YouTube channel, their video on Household Dangers is so important, also their article on bar spacing, Planet Pleasures and Parrot Joy toys. As for cage recommendations, I recommend Corner's Limited for aviary brands if you have a few thousand bucks to spare. I've heard of A and E, HQ, and a famous stainless steel brand I can't remember. As for diet, I would find an avian vet and talk to them.