• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Indian Ringneck Baby

Hes

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello Everyone!

I'm new here! I'm glad I found this website where all of us bird lovers can be a part of a community that loves and respects birds!

I just recently got my new Indian Ringneck baby. She is a blue female, her name is Bubbles. She was hand fed and the employee informed me that she was hatched sometime in late April.

I have just a couple of questions and concerns about my new feathered friend. When I brought her home exactly one week ago, she cried to me a lot on the first day; she wanted me to hand feed her. By the second day she realized that I was not going to hand feed her so she resumed normal bird activities. She explored my house, I gave her treats, I was even able to introduce some fruits and veggies to her. Currently, I am also able to play with her (she loves playing with balls).

My concern is that whenever Bubbles sees my mom and sister she seems to regress back to a baby phase. When she sees my sister, ESPECIALLY when my sister talks to her, she immediately starts to cry again. And she does not stop crying until I basically remove her from my sister. The cries can get pretty loud and she starts shaking and bobbing her head. This also happens with my mom, but it is definitely not as extreme. When they handle her, they are unable to play with her, or even feed her anything like seeds or fruits/veggies because all she does is cry.

I find this behavior interesting because when she is in her cage, out of sight from my sister or mom, she eats the food I have given her normally. I called the store after 3 days of this behavior and even the employee found it strange because they said that she has been off of baby food for about a month now.

What I would like to know is: why is she displaying this behavior only with certain members of my family? Is it normal for her to still want baby food even though she has been off of it for a month? Is it also bad that she does not cry out for me like she does for my mom, or especially my sister? Does that mean she has bonded/or likes them more than she likes me? I'll admit I get pretty jealous whenever my sister passes by and she lunges at her just to cry to her.

Sorry for the many questions. I've had parrots in the past, but I was really young. And I currently have a 1 year old albino budgie named Pip, but everything has gone so smoothly with him. This time around is very different.

Please advise,
Thanks!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA and congrats on getting Bubbles. I have no experience with Ringnecks. You might want to post your questions and concerns here:
Ringneck and other Keet Street | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Sometimes when babies go to a new home, even if they are fully weaned, they regress and want to be fed again.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Feed it!!!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue:)

My baby bird was fully weaned when he came home with me but he regressed (as many/most young birds do) and he wanted to be hand fed again.
It can be very comforting for them and a great way for you to bond with your baby. No harm done by offering some nice warm mushy food....I often put some pellets in the food processor to make them into powder then add warm water to that to feed my boy. Maybe you could try that or some warm mashed pumpkin/sweet potato?
New places to them can be intimidating and confusing, I suggest trying to hand feed some nice warm mushy food and see how your baby reacts to it.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Welcome to AA Hes. Sounds like some good advice from Shezbug. Good luck in bonding with your bird. Try not to worry about other family members and enjoy time with Bubbles.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new bird. :)

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
It's a new home, new surrounding, it's a baby,
They'll have a little regression, and want to be hand fed. Feed it.... They'll bounce back and forth from eating on own to hand feeding for a while. Nothing wrong with that. Some birds enjoy a little hand feeding even later in life. Mine are in teens and still enjoy a bit of hand feeding.
Enhanced the bond in my opinion.