• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New here, meet puffy!

puffy.love

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Nimal Archish
I really hope this is the right place to post about my new birb and me. let me introduce myself.

my name is Nimal. I've never had a bird before and believed a lot of myths about owning one. but my friend got one and all of those misconceptions just shattered and I just wanted one. but I wanted to be a good birb dad so I had to think a lot about getting one. initially I chose to get a cocketiel but I was never able to find a young one. me and my dad went to a pet store and found this blue love bird chick and immediately just wanted to get them. so, say hi to puffy!
20200813_120947.jpg
the store guy told they are about a month old. they are THE CUTEST. they started hopping on my hand on the second day and has started sleeping on it too. I cover them with my hand so they get warm and they never struggle unless its uncomfortable. but yea, they poop A LOT MY GOD. but it's okay cuz they are my lil baby. I feed them this human baby feed called cerelac with some vitamin drops called zingovit, like the store guy told. I know they should be fed with a baby bird food mix but due to covid, my family and I have come to a small hometown to be safe so we don't get that food here. but they so active and playful and I don't think the food is causing any issues. i feed them three times a day and make sure the crop is empty before I do so and stop feeding when they prompt me to. I've kept them in a small cage for now. my mom and I are planning to make a DIY cage cuz large ones here are super costly here.

about myself (don't know whether yall are interested), I am from India. my interests include politics, psychology, physics and poetry. and also, I am gay lol. I am a hugggeee Taylor swift fan. so yep. puffy and I say hello to y'all!

can yall say how will they look like when they grow? I am confused about the exact breed.
thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hello and welcome!

Puffy is very cute :) If you can find proper bird handfeeding formula, that would be great. Is there any way you can order some online? Popular brands include Kaytee Exact, Hari Tropican and Nutribird. The reason I say this is because Cerelac contains milk which birds can't digest. It can cause a upset stomach.

I'll tag @Zara - she has lovebirds and will be able to tell you what Puffy will look like when they're grown up.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello Nimal! Welcome to the Avenue! :starshower1:

Oh my gosh! Puffy is just the cutest!!!!! :swoon:

they poop A LOT
:lol: Yes lots! At least for now they will do the butt wiggle so you know it is coming and can quickly put tissue under or hold him over something to avoid being pooped on :)

The food is a little concerning. I don´t know about (human) baby food but at this stage it´s important a baby parrot gets what a baby parrot needs and not what a human baby needs. I know other AA members from India have bought Nutribird (which is the brnad I have used time and time again) so hopefully there is a way you can purchase some.

I am confused about the exact breed.
Your birds species is Roseicollis aka Peach faced lovebird - my fave ;)

It is hard to see the mutation well in this photo. Feel free to post more pictures :D

puffy.love

Real Name
Nimal Archish
Hello and welcome!

Puffy is very cute :) If you can find proper bird handfeeding formula, that would be great. Is there any way you can order some online? Popular brands include Kaytee Exact, Hari Tropican and Nutribird. The reason I say this is because Cerelac contains milk which birds can't digest. It can cause a upset stomach.

I'll tag @Zara - she has lovebirds and will be able to tell you what Puffy will look like when they're grown up.
oh okay. I will try my best to get it. thanks for letting me know! also, there is this health mix powder here which is actually for humans but these are its contents:
:pearl millet, Finger millet, Sorghum, Parboiled rice, Maize, Wheat, Whole green gram, Soyabean, Groundnut, Cashewnut, Almond, Sago and Cardamom.

will this be fine instead of cerelac? should I discontinue cerelac immediately?

puffy.love

Real Name
Nimal Archish
Hello Nimal! Welcome to the Avenue! :starshower1:

Oh my gosh! Puffy is just the cutest!!!!! :swoon:

:lol: Yes lots! At least for now they will do the butt wiggle so you know it is coming and can quickly put tissue under or hold him over something to avoid being pooped on :)

The food is a little concerning. I don´t know about (human) baby food but at this stage it´s important a baby parrot gets what a baby parrot needs and not what a human baby needs. I know other AA members from India have bought Nutribird (which is the brnad I have used time and time again) so hopefully there is a way you can purchase some.

Your birds species is Roseicollis aka Peach faced lovebird - my fave ;)

It is hard to see the mutation well in this photo. Feel free to post more pictures :D
thank you for letting me know the species! I will post some more pictures in the future because I am just getting a hang on how to use a forum. I will try my best to get a bird formula. I've posted a reply above, can you check it out?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
there is this health mix powder here which is actually for humans but these are its contents:
:pearl millet, Finger millet, Sorghum, Parboiled rice, Maize, Wheat, Whole green gram, Soyabean, Groundnut, Cashewnut, Almond, Sago and Cardamom.

will this be fine instead of cerelac?
I have no idea but I will tag some members to take a look when they are online next
@Mizzely @melissasparrots @Monica ?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I wouldn't feed that in place of baby bird food... you'd be missing vital nutrients.

puffy.love

Real Name
Nimal Archish
also I have another question. can I know if my bird has any issues by seeing it's poop? like by the colour or texture?

and what is the ideal amount of attention I should provide to a lovie?

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've found some Nutribird A19 on amazon.in - can you order from there?

It's more expensive than other brands, but it's a more trustworthy product. I'm not familiar with the cheaper brands and don't know if they contain the right nutrients.

puffy.love

Real Name
Nimal Archish
i

It's more expensive than other brands, but it's a more trustworthy product. I'm not familiar with the cheaper brands and don't know if they contain the right nutrients.

it's expensive and my parents won't be okay with getting it . I've found another affordable formula which is affordable and has good reviews. I will try to get it

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you post the ingredients and nutritional information here? It would be a good idea for someone more experienced with feeding baby bird to check whether it's suitable.

puffy.love

Real Name
Nimal Archish
Can you post the ingredients and nutritional information here? It would be a good idea for someone more experienced with feeding baby bird to check whether it's suitable.
i will post after I decide on what exactly brand I am gonna get?
because idk whether it will be delivered here. and in a week I most probably will be going to my city and I am sure I will get the formula there.
this is the I found on Amazon:

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Welcome to AA Nimal . We have several members who will be a good resourse for you and your new bird, especially @Zara. As you have learned what you feed your baby is very important. It stay that way when they are an adult. Ask us any question about caring for your Puffy.

Its not too soon to think about making your home safe for a flying bird. Any reflective surface such as windows, mirrors and even fish tanks need to be covered. Ceiling fans need to be off when Puffy is flying about. Look into finding a bird doctor because taking a bird in for medical check ups is also important and you just never know when an accident can happen. If you have other pets in you home please do not let your bird fly about when they are in the same room. Using cooking pans that are safe is also important. When you get toys for Puffy please check them for safety. We have vendors here that sell safe toys in you are interested. @Mizzely specializes in making toys for small birds. Please take some time out to read this entire thread so you will be familiar with the toys NOT to get. !! Dangerous toys list !!

puffy.love

Real Name
Nimal Archish
Welcome to AA Nimal . We have several members who will be a good resourse for you and your new bird, especially @Zara. As you have learned what you feed your baby is very important. It stay that way when they are an adult. Ask us any question about caring for your Puffy.

Its not too soon to think about making your home safe for a flying bird. Any reflective surface such as windows, mirrors and even fish tanks need to be covered. Ceiling fans need to be off when Puffy is flying about. Look into finding a bird doctor because taking a bird in for medical check ups is also important and you just never know when an accident can happen. If you have other pets in you home please do not let your bird fly about when they are in the same room. Using cooking pans that are safe is also important. When you get toys for Puffy please check them for safety. We have vendors here that sell safe toys in you are interested. @Mizzely specializes in making toys for small birds. Please take some time out to read this entire thread so you will be familiar with the toys NOT to get. !! Dangerous toys list !!
thanks a lot for these tips!! I will try my best to be the best bird parent. there aren't any other pets so it's that's not an issue. I will do check the links out! thank you once again

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
A21 is what a lovebird needs. It has a green lid.
Here is a link, this one is a little less and free delivery;
You may find it cheaper on an Indian website that is not Amazon, maybe some sort of pet supply website. Have a look around, it will be easier for you to search because of the language barrier.
If you can get the A21 but not A19, it is not the worst, but A21 (green top) is better. I did feed the A21 to one of my little ones when I couldn´t get the right one, the composition is different, not by too much but it has to be better than human baby food.

what is the ideal amount of attention I should provide to a lovie?
Give him the attention now that he will have for the rest of his life. Don´t interact with him 12 hours a day now, then in the future you only spend 3. Try and keep it somewhat samey.

I will post this link as I think it will be helpful for you;

my parents won't be okay with getting it .
Maybe you could offer to help with some chores for pocket money, or wash neighbours cars or something?
Maybe resell some old clothes you don´t use and pay for the formula yourself?
Maybe borrow money from someone?
Just some ideas.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Something I would advise doing now is finding an avian vet (a vet who treats birds) and start saving money for a vet fund. In an emergency, you do not want to be frantically calling around vets trying to find someone who has experience with birds.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You've received some great advice already!

It would also be a great idea to look into weaning onto a proper, varied diet now so you'll know what you ought to start providing your baby now to start exploring new foods. Also look into safe perches and toys!