• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New healthy diet

Amanda6

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amanda
So I am wanting to change up my cag's diet. What is the healthiest diet to feed a congo grey? Scarlet is 1 year old and is currently on a fresh chop (mostly veggies and a fruit or 2) morning diet with a dry mix (zupreem natural pellets, nuts, dehydrated fruit) for dinner. I want to feed the healthiest diet possible for her to live a very long and healthy life. I want something with no preservatives or at least all natural preservatives, no artificial coloring, and just nothing that's unhealthy for them. I want the healthiest options available. What's out there?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
This site has some good, basic information.
African Grey Parrots

What are the ingredients of your chop? I avoid most dried or dehydrated fruit products: they often have added sugar and preservatives which aren't good for your birds. Do you dehydrate it yourself? I believe that greys can be hypocalcemic, so you want to make sure she's getting and eating enough calcium. Google food sources high in calcium. I know some grey owners offer their birds Red Palm Oil, too. All birds benefit from dark greens, but many won't eat a leaf of Swiss chard, for example. Mine won't, so I food process it, so it adheres to more desirable food items. And thanks to @Hankmacaw , I'm more mindful of the amount of carbs I offer my birds. My chop used to contain 3 or 4 grains; now, I include 1 or 2.

I'm not a grey owner, so I don't have the specific knowledge you need.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Greys are noted for becoming hypocalcemic. You should always keep a mineral block in their cage. Like these other than I like the plain without flavors. Flavored Mineral Treat Block - Large cuttlebone is not appropriate for lager birds. Your birds (all of them) require UBV (Vit B3) rays to utilize the calcium in food or supplements. Windows filter out the UBV rays, so they will either require 15-20 min three times a week outside or full spectrum lighting. There are several threads on AA about full spectrum lighting. Calcium is also high in Almonds, green leafy vegetables and other foods. Remember no dairy products or meats for birds - you can look up calcium rich foods.

Greys along with Pionis, macaws and Amazons are particularly susceptible to Aspergillosis. Take this to heart; Aspergillosis in Parrots

Greys are also susceptible to fatty liver disease and atheroscleosis. Keep their diet lean and make sure they get as much exercise as possible - flying is especially good for a bird. (DUH!)

@aooratrix This is the dried fruit mix I use. No preservatives nor dyes. I only put them in my Jasper's bird bread.
Caribbean Bliss Bird Food | Great Companions

There is a lot to learn about a parrot for people who want to keep them as companions.

Amanda6

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amanda
This site has some good, basic information.
African Grey Parrots

What are the ingredients of your chop? I avoid most dried or dehydrated fruit products: they often have added sugar and preservatives which aren't good for your birds. Do you dehydrate it yourself? I believe that greys can be hypocalcemic, so you want to make sure she's getting and eating enough calcium. Google food sources high in calcium. I know some grey owners offer their birds Red Palm Oil, too. All birds benefit from dark greens, but many won't eat a leaf of Swiss chard, for example. Mine won't, so I food process it, so it adheres to more desirable food items. And thanks to @Hankmacaw , I'm more mindful of the amount of carbs I offer my birds. My chop used to contain 3 or 4 grains; now, I include 1 or 2.

I'm not a grey owner, so I don't have the specific knowledge you need.
I vary the ingredients of my chop: always sweet potato, some mixed frozen veggies (corn, peas, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, spinach, bell peppers, jalapenos, brussel sprouts) sometimes a cooked bean and a fruit or 2. I feed dehydrated fruits (I buy from local seed/bird companies) (would like to dehydrate myself someday). Mixture of nuts, off brand cheerios & chex, & zupreem all natural parrot pellets.
So in the mornings she gets 1/2 cup of the chop & the evenings she gets a 1/2 cup of her dry mix with is a dehydrated mix with nuts and pellets.

I do know that greys have a need for higher calcium. Where do I get red palm oil and what are the benefits of it? Would a grey encounter it in the wild? I do use the food processor to make their chop.

Amanda6

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amanda
Greys are noted for becoming hypocalcemic. You should always keep a mineral block in their cage. Like these other than I like the plain without flavors. Flavored Mineral Treat Block - Large cuttlebone is not appropriate for lager birds. Your birds (all of them) require UBV (Vit B3) rays to utilize the calcium in food or supplements. Windows filter out the UBV rays, so they will either require 15-20 min three times a week outside or full spectrum lighting. There are several threads on AA about full spectrum lighting. Calcium is also high in Almonds, green leafy vegetables and other foods. Remember no dairy products or meats for birds - you can look up calcium rich foods.

Greys along with Pionis, macaws and Amazons are particularly susceptible to Aspergillosis. Take this to heart; Aspergillosis in Parrots

Greys are also susceptible to fatty liver disease and atheroscleosis. Keep their diet lean and make sure they get as much exercise as possible - flying is especially good for a bird. (DUH!)

@aooratrix This is the dried fruit mix I use. No preservatives nor dyes. I only put them in my Jasper's bird bread.
Caribbean Bliss Bird Food | Great Companions

There is a lot to learn about a parrot for people who want to keep them as companions.
Yes, I know they have a higher need for calcium than others. She has a mineral block in her cage but I never see her mess with it (other than climbing on it when climbing through her cage). I don't give her a cuttle bone. I need to get her a new light I know. She gets almonds daily in her dry mix and spinach in her chop. I never feed my birds dairy products or meat.
She gets enough exercise and gets dehydrated fruits in her dry mix.
I'm aware of the risks of birds getting aspergillosis. I am buying a brand new air purifier this week and the birds cages are cleaned regularly with fresh water and food replaced daily.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I vary the ingredients of my chop: always sweet potato, some mixed frozen veggies (corn, peas, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, spinach, bell peppers, jalapenos, brussel sprouts) sometimes a cooked bean and a fruit or 2. I feed dehydrated fruits (I buy from local seed/bird companies) (would like to dehydrate myself someday). Mixture of nuts, off brand cheerios & chex, & zupreem all natural parrot pellets.
So in the mornings she gets 1/2 cup of the chop & the evenings she gets a 1/2 cup of her dry mix with is a dehydrated mix with nuts and pellets.

I do know that greys have a need for higher calcium. Where do I get red palm oil and what are the benefits of it? Would a grey encounter it in the wild? I do use the food processor to make their chop.

Google it for the vendor you prefer.

Amanda6

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amanda
Thank you everyone for the wonderful advice and load of information! I greatly appreciate it and continue to welcome more suggestions and advice.