• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Galah dad

MortonGro

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Eric
I think she has a cold. She sounds congested when chirping, is chirping less than normal and this puffing thing worries me. Luckily vet appointments is later today.

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
I think she has a cold. She sounds congested when chirping, is chirping less than normal and this puffing thing worries me. Luckily vet appointments is later today.
Hopefully it's nothing serious and the vet can solve it.

Are you aware of dangers such as sprays, candles, teflon and self cleaning ovens and many more. You probably already aware of this but I though I would mention it just in case.

MortonGro

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Eric
Hopefully it's nothing serious and the vet can solve it.

Are you aware of dangers such as sprays, candles, teflon and self cleaning ovens and many more. You probably already aware of this but I though I would mention it just in case.
Yep. But thank you for letting me know.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm glad you've got a vet appointment - I think the vet is the right person to ask. It could just be an issue of adjusting to a different environment (perhaps your home is drier than what she's used to?) but there is the chance that it's something more serious. As a new baby in a new home, it's normal for them to be a little subdued and worried at first.

You can try taking her into the bathroom with you. Run a hot, steamy shower and just hang out in there with her, letting her breathe in the steam. She doesn't need to get wet or bathe (and it's probably not a good idea to let her do so as she might not dry off before you leave for the vet appointment). Just breathing in the steam might help loosen up any congestion.

Last edited:

MortonGro

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Eric
I'm glad you've got a vet appointment - I think the vet is the right person to ask. It could just be an issue of adjusting to a different environment (perhaps your home is drier than what she's used to?) but there is the chance that it's something more serious. As a new baby in a new home, it's normal for them to be a little subdued and worried at first.

You can try taking her into the bathroom with you. Run a hot, steamy shower and just hang out in there with her, letting her breathe in the steam. She doesn't need to get wet or bathe (and it's probably not a good idea to let her do so as she might not dry off before you leave for the vet appointment). Just breathing in the steam might help loosen up any congestion.
Hello. I am happy to report that she is doing great. The vet said she was in perfect health and I got the works treatment for her with a bunch of tests and began a vaccine too. Vet was super nice and we talked about birds for a long time. He was knowledgeable and kind. I think I was just paranoid. After vet she was vocal like a Galah should be. The hardest part of today was putting her to sleep and walking away. Wow did I just want to to cuddle her all night. Thank you everyone for your advice.

Attachments

Mantis64

Hello. I am happy to report that she is doing great. The vet said she was in perfect health and I got the works treatment for her with a bunch of tests and began a vaccine too. Vet was super nice and we talked about birds for a long time. He was knowledgeable and kind. I think I was just paranoid. After vet she was vocal like a Galah should be. The hardest part of today was putting her to sleep and walking away. Wow did I just want to to cuddle her all night. Thank you everyone for your advice.
She is so darn cute.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Oh my gosh!! She is just so freaking adorable :heart:

Mantis64

I can see you have a rope perch in thier make sure that she doesnt chew it and monitor her around it. As chewing it can cause fibre impaction. I'm just letting you know in case you arent aware you probably already know this though.

MortonGro

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Eric
I can see you have a rope perch in thier make sure that she doesnt chew it and monitor her around it. As chewing it can cause fibre impaction. I'm just letting you know in case you arent aware you probably already know this though.
Thank you for letting me know. Should I remove it or monitor situation?