• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New fid soon!

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I've picked a name! Typical of me, I went Asian. Japan specifically. It's
Shoichi. It means roughly, "The First son of Sho." And "sho" means to soar.
So "Soaring first son" because this is my first boy to the flock. Hopefully. :roflmao:
Even if, my GCC hasn't been DNA'd yet and I'm keeping "Yuka" as 'her' name. So all is well regardless of what he turns out to be. :D Can't wait to meet you Shoichi!

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Already I'm smitten over the little tyke. Can't imagine what It's gonna be like once the little one gets here :xflove:
You'll be helpless against him/her. :D Oh, and I second what @Kellie728 said. 5 of my lovies are fiercely possessive of me and would gladly fight each other (or even another person) to get sole possession! And my mom's lovebird is also possessive of me, lol.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
You'll be helpless against him/her. :D Oh, and I second what @Kellie728 said. 5 of my lovies are fiercely possessive of me and would gladly fight each other (or even another person) to get sole possession! And my mom's lovebird is also possessive of me, lol.
Such a big parrot in a small body! It's quite endearing :p I may have to switch out time a little if he reacts this way, but other then that it seems easy to deal with. My 'tiel is a bit of a velcro bird :hehe: so she's the only one I'd worry about if he gets possessive. Is there any tips on how to lessen this trait, or at least not reward it?

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've picked a name! Typical of me, I went Asian. Japan specifically. It's
Shoichi. It means roughly, "The First son of Sho." And "sho" means to soar.
So "Soaring first son" because this is my first boy to the flock. Hopefully. :roflmao:
Even if, my GCC hasn't been DNA'd yet and I'm keeping "Yuka" as 'her' name. So all is well regardless of what he turns out to be. :D Can't wait to meet you Shoichi!
Hehe, I don't know about you, but I find their original names sometimes change. Neutrino was originally Kiseki, Termite was once Mouse/Gremlin/Fire Ant, and Twinkie started out as Skittle!

CallmeSweetie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Andrea
How do you cope with having more than one bird with a big personality?

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Hehe, I don't know about you, but I find their original names sometimes change. Neutrino was originally Kiseki, Termite was once Mouse/Gremlin/Fire Ant, and Twinkie started out as Skittle!
Yup for sure. Mimi was a Xander at first :roflmao: when we found out she was female, we swiched. I considered "Yuko" if Yuka turns out to be male, but a feminineish name isn't the worst. We'll see how Shoichi goes :rolleyes:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Such a big parrot in a small body! It's quite endearing :p I may have to switch out time a little if he reacts this way, but other then that it seems easy to deal with. My 'tiel is a bit of a velcro bird :hehe: so she's the only one I'd worry about if he gets possessive. Is there any tips on how to lessen this trait, or at least not reward it?
They are! So much personality and mushable cuteness in one tiny, feisty little package. :) I have to play musical birds when I give them out time. Oh yes, your little lovie could easily hurt your tiel. All you can do is keep them separate. Don't be surprised if your lovie insists on flying to the cages if your other birds to harass them!

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
It's all worth it for those cute feathered faces and their little antics! I personally love the "big personality" birds. They can be a little more difficult then others, but it's all worth it. :xflove:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
For me -- very carefully (for their sake), lol. But I love the spunky personalities of lovies in general, so I don't feel like I have to cope at all. I really enjoy them.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
They are! So much personality and mushable cuteness in one tiny, feisty little package. :) I have to play musical birds when I give them out time. Oh yes, your little lovie could easily hurt your tiel. All you can do is keep them separate. Don't be surprised if your lovie insists on flying to the cages if your other birds to harass them!
Thank you so much for the tip, I keep supervising eye on both my girls right now as is. Mimi isn't really a pushover and she'll tell off my GCC from time to time. :roflmao: Of course I make sure they can both move away if they need to, as they both are flighted. And they haven't had a single fight yet, which I'm glad for. I'm sure the dynamic will change with the lovie, but I'm willing to work with him. :heart:

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Kenzie is beautiful! :p You must be one proud mama. I know I'll be once my little prince gets here. :laugh:

Yes I am!! I just got Kenzie from another member her on AA on 31 May 14. She came from a not so great start from the 1st home be and them because of life changes in the second home Kenzie came to live with us in the hopes that she and Pickles could be friends! Thankfully the 2 girls loved each other from the first intro and now the do the nasty every time they come out to play together before they play! Love has no boundaries here in our holme:heart: just thankful they are both girls so we don't have babies especially since Pickles is a Peach Face and Kenzie is a Fischer's......

Also, Kenzie is hand shy so it difficult to get her back in her house sometimes but we have been working on stepping up on a stick to help with that. It's going slow and taking a lot of patience. I will say though that she does come out of hiding when we are close to her now and she will now take treats from Jake's (my 13yr old) hand now. She will do more and Put on the brave face for Jake. I think she has picked him as her favorite person. All in all, Kenzie has come out of her shell and has made great progress with the humans

I have to let Kenzie and Pickles out for playtime by themselves because they like to fly and chase each other around while playing and Pickles thinks all the other birds want to be her friend......the 2 bigger birds (a green cheek and a mini hahns macaw) have never done anything but it's not worth the risk to me. The littles (budgies and parrotlet) will chase her away......the lovies, littles and Green Cheek can all come out together with supervision but with disturbances in the force. Because of the "in your face because we are all friends" attitude of a lovie I allow each bird out time without the lovies just to give them a break from the pushy lovies! They still try throughout the cages too! Just be watchful......and give your other two time out of the cages while being able to relax without the lovie......mine all get along but feel they need time to relax without the lovies....so they have some shared time out and some relaxed time out!

Last edited:

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi

Yes I am!! I just got Kenzie from another member her on AA on 31 May 14. She came from a not so great start from the 1st home be and them because of life changes in the second home Kenzie came to live with us in the hopes that she and Pickles could be friends! Thankfully the 2 girls loved each other from the first intro and now the do the nasty every time they come out to play together before they play! Love has no boundaries here in our holme:heart: just thankful they are both girls so we don't have babies especially since Pickles is a Peach Face and Kenzie is a Fischer's......

Also, Kenzie is hand shy so it difficult to get her back in her house sometimes but we have been working on stepping up on a stick to help with that. It's going slow and taking a lot of patience. I will say though that she does come out of hiding when we are close to her now and she will now take treats from Jake's (my 13yr old) hand now. She will do more and Put on the brave face for Jake. I think she has picked him as her favorite person. All in all, Kenzie has come out of her shell and has made great progress with the humans

I have to let Kenzie and Pickles out for playtime by themselves because they like to fly and chase each other around while playing and Pickles thinks all the other birds want to be her friend......the 2 bigger birds (a green cheek and a mini hahns macaw) have never done anything but it's not worth the risk to me. The littles (budgies and parrotlet) will chase her away......the lovies, littles and Green Cheek can all come out together with supervision but with disturbances in the force. Because of the "in your face because we are all friends" attitude of a lovie I allow each bird out time without the lovies just to give them a break from the pushy lovies! They still try throughout the cages too! Just be watchful......and give your other two time out of the cages while being able to relax without the lovie......mine all get along but feel they need time to relax without the lovies....so they have some shared time out and some relaxed time out!
Thank you for the suggestion! That'd be a great idea. I do that already with my 'Tiel, since the GCC, while she's never done anything wrong, can be more bossy when out. It just ensures Mimi gets her calm cuddle time. :p Kenzie sounds like such a cutie!

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Going to pick him up now! Should take about 2-3 hours total, but worth it! :D This is nothing compared to the 10 hour drive I did about 2 years ago for my Bullmastiff :roflmao:

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Driving home now:p Shoichi's so calm, it's shocking. :eek: The breeder was incredibly nice. He's a bit scared but I'm told he's very docile, with humans as well as birds. Was resting on my hand very well. He's a beautiful little boy, can't wait to get him home. :xflove:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a gorgeous, precious little birdy! :) Thank you for showing us his sweet self. Tell him he has fans already. :D

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
So when I was meeting the little one, the word "cloud" kept popping into my head. It may sound silly but I really feel it suits him and his docile personality. :) So I decided to go with my heart and his name has been changed to Kumo!(Cloud in Japanese)Welcome Kumo!

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Kumo is very pretty! :cloud9:

:Congratwav: