• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New cockatiel

startuna

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Summer
I recently (about 5 days ago) bought a new tiel, his name is Kenny and he’s about 1 year old. Unfortunately I had to get him from petco (there are no cockatiel breeders near me) so I have a lot of taming to do. I have him in a cage right now that’s kind of too small (don’t worry I have a new bigger cage coming in tomorrow morning) anyways, he has some toys/foraging toys, food and water + some millet treats. I’m also trying to get him out of his cage but he does not like hands at all. He keeps biting at me/screaming when I try to get him out of his cage or if I go too close to him. I’ve had a cockatiel before, except he was already tamed. I’m worried I’m just scaring him, I really want him be more comfortable. If I could have ANY tips on getting him more comfortable with hands/stop him from biting and taming him in general I will be very grateful

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
You will be terrifying your new little buddy... I suggest you leave him be to settle in at your home/his new environment before trying to befriend him and when the time comes to get him comfortable with you then you are best to work at his pace and not force him out of his cage or to interact with your hands- taming takes time and you must earn the trust of your bird for the taming to happen.

AzaleaBeth

Strolling the yard
Hello! We've had our two Cockatiels for nine months. It just takes patience, and it's very important to go at the bird's pace.

Some tips:
- Ours did not want to leave their cage for about a month. Then they would perch in the open doorways. Then they climbed up the sides of the cage. I've heard of birds taking longer. Many people think a cage is a bird's "prison", but it's actually their territory/safe space.
- It really helps to do things in the same room as the bird. Read, use your laptop/tablet, whatever. He will become used to your presence, instead of you being a scary "visitor".
- Don't leave the millet in the cage, or seeds, if you are doing that. These should be treats that he only gets from you. Only pellet food and vegetables should be left in the cage for extended times.
- Millet is a good trust-building treat because you can take a long piece, hold it near the end, and offer him the other end. Every few days (based on how he reacts), you can try holding the millet at a spot closer to him, or use shorter pieces.

Two helpful YouTube channels are "Love of Pets" (she has 29 birds, including Cockatiels) and "Elle and the Birds".

startuna

Real Name
Summer
You will be terrifying your new little buddy... I suggest you leave him be to settle in at your home/his new environment before trying to befriend him and when the time comes to get him comfortable with you then you are best to work at his pace and not force him out of his cage or to interact with your hands- taming takes time and you must earn the trust of your bird for the taming to happen.
Thank you so much! I’ve been trying to leave him alone besides talking to him/whistling so he can get used to my voice. I was very conflicted because my mom kept telling me to get him out but I’ve also heard people to just let them be in their cage until they’re comfortable. I really appreciate the advice! Thank you! <3

startuna

Real Name
Summer
Hello! We've had our two Cockatiels for nine months. It just takes patience, and it's very important to go at the bird's pace.

Some tips:
- Ours did not want to leave their cage for about a month. Then they would perch in the open doorways. Then they climbed up the sides of the cage. I've heard of birds taking longer. Many people think a cage is a bird's "prison", but it's actually their territory/safe space.
- It really helps to do things in the same room as the bird. Read, use your laptop/tablet, whatever. He will become used to your presence, instead of you being a scary "visitor".
- Don't leave the millet in the cage, or seeds, if you are doing that. These should be treats that he only gets from you. Only pellet food and vegetables should be left in the cage for extended times.
- Millet is a good trust-building treat because you can take a long piece, hold it near the end, and offer him the other end. Every few days (based on how he reacts), you can try holding the millet at a spot closer to him, or use shorter pieces.

Two helpful YouTube channels are "Love of Pets" (she has 29 birds, including Cockatiels) and "Elle and the Birds".
Thank you! I will immediately take the millet out right now, I just got him a way bigger cage/new foraging toys and new stainless steel food/water bowls, I plan on giving Kenny some fruit or veggies with his pellet food. I really appreciate the advice, I went to Reddit to ask other bird owners on there but only one person replied :/ coming here was a much better choice! I also am thinking about getting him a buddy. I’m just not sure how I would introduce them, considering I want to get another male cockatiel.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Thank you! I will immediately take the millet out right now, I just got him a way bigger cage/new foraging toys and new stainless steel food/water bowls, I plan on giving Kenny some fruit or veggies with his pellet food. I really appreciate the advice, I went to Reddit to ask other bird owners on there but only one person replied :/ coming here was a much better choice! I also am thinking about getting him a buddy. I’m just not sure how I would introduce them, considering I want to get another male cockatiel.
Was he on pellets when you got him ?
:welave: We love pictures

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I personally wouldn’t get him a buddy until he’s settled and you have a certain level of a bond as bonding/training with two scared unsettled birds isn’t easy it’s not impossible but give him time to settle first

also you need to quarantine your new bird in a different room etc for 30days they need separate cages until they form a bond slow introductions watching them closely

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Aww yay! Congratulations on your new friend!

I have a tiel as well - I would say give him at least 48 hours by himself to get used to not being in a pet store anymore. Petsmart to a home is a big jump, in terms of noise, lights, number of people, etc.

After that, spend a couple of weeks just sitting near the cage. Talk to him, whistle, read out loud... Just let him get used to you. If he's in a secure room where he can't cause too much havoc, open the cage door. Don't go in to get him, but see if he'll come to the door on his own. Have some millet ready just in case!

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
At first I always sit by cage talking to them holding millet nurtiberries seeds etc throw bars to see if they will come and try a nibble if they do tell them good bird no sudden movements let them just eat there treat do this for a few days until they are comfortable

have a perch attached to inside of door so it comes out when doors open goes in when door shuts and a rope perch just below door sit by cage with door open with a treat let them come to you if they don’t want to come after a while shut door and offer treat through bars again it’s just patience and being very calm he will come around I get it honestly you just want them out and interacting but you have to take it at their pace let him get use to his environment you etc

if you do let him out sit on floor with treats in a bowl close to you

AzaleaBeth

Strolling the yard
I went to Reddit to ask other bird owners on there but only one person replied :/ coming here was a much better choice!
This is just my experience, but I would be very careful on Reddit. I've lurked throughout the years. Some comments are interesting, but a lot of users are nasty, critical, judgmental, and over-the-top snarky and sarcastic (not every simple question or comment needs it). In bird subs, I've seen posts where people simply wanted to know if their bird was male or female, and they were ridiculed for wanting to know: "Who cares? We named our bird Robert and when he laid an egg, we just ignored it and kept saying 'he'!" To each their own, but if it's my pet and I hope to spend several years with them, I am simply curious to know if they are male/female.

startuna

Real Name
Summer
This is just my experience, but I would be very careful on Reddit. I've lurked throughout the years. Some comments are interesting, but a lot of users are nasty, critical, judgmental, and over-the-top snarky and sarcastic (not every simple question or comment needs it). In bird subs, I've seen posts where people simply wanted to know if their bird was male or female, and they were ridiculed for wanting to know: "Who cares? We named our bird Robert and when he laid an egg, we just ignored it and kept saying 'he'!" To each their own, but if it's my pet and I hope to spend several years with them, I am simply curious to know if they are male/female.
Yes I agree! Thats why I ended up finding this forum, I just want the best for kenny! and i have a few updates on him, i might make another post

startuna

Real Name
Summer
Was he on pellets when you got him ?
:welave: We love pictures
Im not sure, I know that sounds bad but Petco didn't give me much info, I bought him a mix of seeds (Kaytee brand) and he's been eating it. I offered him some fruits and veggies but he hasn't tried any yet. and I will definitely post pictures of Kenny soon!

startuna

Real Name
Summer
I personally wouldn’t get him a buddy until he’s settled and you have a certain level of a bond as bonding/training with two scared unsettled birds isn’t easy it’s not impossible but give him time to settle first

also you need to quarantine your new bird in a different room etc for 30days they need separate cages until they form a bond slow introductions watching them closely
Thank you! i knew about the separate cages but not the quarantine, i will definitely be waiting until Kenny is comfortable with me.

startuna

Real Name
Summer
Aww yay! Congratulations on your new friend!

I have a tiel as well - I would say give him at least 48 hours by himself to get used to not being in a pet store anymore. Petsmart to a home is a big jump, in terms of noise, lights, number of people, etc.

After that, spend a couple of weeks just sitting near the cage. Talk to him, whistle, read out loud... Just let him get used to you. If he's in a secure room where he can't cause too much havoc, open the cage door. Don't go in to get him, but see if he'll come to the door on his own. Have some millet ready just in case!
Thank you! I haven't been touching/trying to get him out since I got him. I have been talking and whistling to him, so he'd get to know my voice. and his cage is in my room so i can definitely leave his door open.

startuna

Real Name
Summer
At first I always sit by cage talking to them holding millet nurtiberries seeds etc throw bars to see if they will come and try a nibble if they do tell them good bird no sudden movements let them just eat there treat do this for a few days until they are comfortable

have a perch attached to inside of door so it comes out when doors open goes in when door shuts and a rope perch just below door sit by cage with door open with a treat let them come to you if they don’t want to come after a while shut door and offer treat through bars again it’s just patience and being very calm he will come around I get it honestly you just want them out and interacting but you have to take it at their pace let him get use to his environment you etc

if you do let him out sit on floor with treats in a bowl close to you
thank you so much, everyone is very helpful. he hasn't made much noise besides his screaming when i did try to get him out. now i know better to let him get used to his new cage/home

Tony’s Mom

Meeting neighbors
Time is your answer.

DO: feed him treats with your fingers. He will learn that fingers = treats = good.

It takes a lot of time to gain the trust of a cockatiel.