• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New bird?

Maggiebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sally
I believe those obsessed with animals when young, keep their fascination.
Most folk like that that I know, were the same as kids and never changed.
Of course we become more realistic of reality, but our love and obsession never changes.
I agree that happened to me. You just never know so I was only saying so the bird she gets is safe and won’t end up in a different home.

PufF

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sam Chan
It has been mentioned once but I would like to remind you of the fact that you should NEVER, NEVER EVER let your cat (or other pets that you haven’t mentioned yet) close to your bird and don’t even let the bird be able to see them because a cat is a predator and as such instant stress for the bird and that is something so unnecessary for the bird. You can get a baby door of that sort to keep the cat away (but mind you they can jump) and that sort but just keep them away.
I’ll suggest you to go to more places and see the birds for yourself.Maybe someday you will be chosen by a bird and let me tell you that is the BEST thing in life that can happen to anyone, at least in my opinion. Go to YouTube and search for the screams of the species of bird that you would want because it’s not if but when they scream.
Also food. What food do you plan to provide them? And chop? Also would you please name me five foods toxic to birds?
(By the way telfon [or nonstick things in general] is fatal to birds when they are burnt above a certain degree [300 celsius or 570 farenheit I did a quick google] so you should [if not must] throw away EVERY SINGLE thing coated with telfon including pots and pans and toasters and whatnot.)
Talking about that candles and smoke are very much prohibited as well because of the bird’s sensitive respiratory system.
And good luck for your search!

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
What are you looking for in an emotional support animal?

There are many contexts as for emotional support animal, and what kind of 'emotional support' you need.

My birds are emotional support animals. However that is because I need something to structure my time around and to help me force myself to remain calm and relaxed otherwise I have emotional spirals that tend to go out of control. (I have bipolar).

A bird is not a good emotional support animal for someone who has say anxiety unless taking care of the animal lesson's that anxiety.

Some people have Budgies as emotional support pets in that they like having company but aren't all that bothered by having a 'cuddly' animal.

Larger Parrots are on par with adopting a baby. They have emotional needs, tempertantrums and such things on par with a 2 year old for a very long time. Plus they have beaks that I liken to can openers. In a house with multiple children, and with your parents... having an animal with a can opener on its face that will live for 40+ years might not be the best investment of your time. Plus... cuddly for a cockatoo, or a macaw is the same as cuddly from a 2 year old. When they are happy they are adorable... but when they are angry, jealous, scared, or playful they are destructive, messy and sometimes dangerous.

Something smaller is probably better in your situation. Simply because you don't have to stress about the destruction, and someone your age shouldn't need to deal with a feathered toddler with a PSI of 200-5000 behind those beaks. (Pressure per square inch).

As for cuddly I recommend a white winged parakeet, Cockatiel, or if you MUST get a cockatoo or a Macaw... think Galah or Mini macaw.
Hahns Macaws are a third the size of their larger cousins, have less of a beak and are still just as goofy as their counterparts.

Galah's while still having the Too attitude and being clingy, are slightly less of a worry physically and are still friendly playful birds.

Do not go by species rules on what could be 'cuddly' or not.
It depends on the individual bird.

I would recommend going to a bird sanctuary and actually interacting with these birds to get a better idea of what you want, and maybe even adopting from there.

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
It has been mentioned once but I would like to remind you of the fact that you should NEVER, NEVER EVER let your cat (or other pets that you haven’t mentioned yet) close to your bird and don’t even let the bird be able to see them because a cat is a predator and as such instant stress for the bird and that is something so unnecessary for the bird. You can get a baby door of that sort to keep the cat away (but mind you they can jump) and that sort but just keep them away.
I’ll suggest you to go to more places and see the birds for yourself.Maybe someday you will be chosen by a bird and let me tell you that is the BEST thing in life that can happen to anyone, at least in my opinion. Go to YouTube and search for the screams of the species of bird that you would want because it’s not if but when they scream.
Also food. What food do you plan to provide them? And chop? Also would you please name me five foods toxic to birds?
(By the way telfon [or nonstick things in general] is fatal to birds when they are burnt above a certain degree [300 celsius or 570 farenheit I did a quick google] so you should [if not must] throw away EVERY SINGLE thing coated with telfon including pots and pans and toasters and whatnot.)
Talking about that candles and smoke are very much prohibited as well because of the bird’s sensitive respiratory system.
And good luck for your search!
Oh, yes! Of course! I have been to multiple bird stores, and I know that birds can scream. Very loudly. As for the 5 foods: Avocado, chocolate, caffeine, onions, garlic, peanuts (They can grow a harmful type of mold. Some do, some don't. But it's always good to be on the safe side), tomatoes (Not really toxic, but very acidic), etc.

As for teflon, I don't use any non-stick pans because they are also harmful for humans, just not fatal.

I will definitely use a baby door, etc. I will take extra precautions. As for my cat jumping over the baby door, she is half-paralyzed (Ooof, diaper changes are hard-) so she can't jump really.

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
What are you looking for in an emotional support animal?

There are many contexts as for emotional support animal, and what kind of 'emotional support' you need.

My birds are emotional support animals. However that is because I need something to structure my time around and to help me force myself to remain calm and relaxed otherwise I have emotional spirals that tend to go out of control. (I have bipolar).

A bird is not a good emotional support animal for someone who has say anxiety unless taking care of the animal lesson's that anxiety.

Some people have Budgies as emotional support pets in that they like having company but aren't all that bothered by having a 'cuddly' animal.

Larger Parrots are on par with adopting a baby. They have emotional needs, tempertantrums and such things on par with a 2 year old for a very long time. Plus they have beaks that I liken to can openers. In a house with multiple children, and with your parents... having an animal with a can opener on its face that will live for 40+ years might not be the best investment of your time. Plus... cuddly for a cockatoo, or a macaw is the same as cuddly from a 2 year old. When they are happy they are adorable... but when they are angry, jealous, scared, or playful they are destructive, messy and sometimes dangerous.

Something smaller is probably better in your situation. Simply because you don't have to stress about the destruction, and someone your age shouldn't need to deal with a feathered toddler with a PSI of 200-5000 behind those beaks. (Pressure per square inch).

As for cuddly I recommend a white winged parakeet, Cockatiel, or if you MUST get a cockatoo or a Macaw... think Galah or Mini macaw.
Hahns Macaws are a third the size of their larger cousins, have less of a beak and are still just as goofy as their counterparts.

Galah's while still having the Too attitude and being clingy, are slightly less of a worry physically and are still friendly playful birds.

Do not go by species rules on what could be 'cuddly' or not.
It depends on the individual bird.

I would recommend going to a bird sanctuary and actually interacting with these birds to get a better idea of what you want, and maybe even adopting from there.
By emotional support animal I mean a bird that will love me unconditionally. I really like cockatoos BECAUSE they are so needy. It feels really good to have another animal depend on you and love you like that. By cuddly I mean that the bird would allow me to give them a scratch or kiss them every once in a while. Part of the reason I want a bird is specifically because they act like toddlers. I really want a challenge as a pet, and birds are incredibly hard.

Also, I wanted to thank you for your suggestions! I will definitely look into those species.

As for bites, I go to bird stores pretty often and have been bitten by a budgie, African Grey (Congo), Eclectus, cockatiel, and greening macaw (Luckily it didn't bleed. It was just a twist)

Anyway, thank you so much for responding! Sincerely, Adriana R.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't think a non-imprinted cockatoo is emotionally needy & would never suggest doing this on purpose to benefit a person.

MC_Hahn's

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Marie C.
Yeah birds should never be a emotional support animal.
If you get a bird for emotional support, you may end up becoming the bird's emotional support animal! :smuggrin:

@Adriana_33 Have you considered a smaller parrot, such as a cockatiel? They have the potential to be very cuddly and aren't quite as demanding as a cockatoo. My cockatiel is extremely intelligent and learned several tricks within his first month home. I'm sure that fellow 'tiel owners can attest to their gentle nature. A cockatiel would be a safer option, considering that there are children in the household. They will also save you a good deal of money in the long run, and can live to be over twenty years old! If you haven't read The Parrot Problem Solver by Barbara Heidenreich yet, I recommend checking it out as well. It's great to see that you've done your research though! :)

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
Quick note as well (for all species)-
If you choose to adopt a baby, food conversion should be easy enough but then the hormones will kick in soon.
If you choose to adopt an older parrot, hormones should have settled by then but food conversation could be a problem if said parrot was on a bad diet (eg. all seed) before. Conversion still shouldn’t be a problem but you might need to improvise. (My bad for not realising you put the diet at the first post already)
The big thing about parrots is that they hardly listen. You could check out some other stickied threads here and there like at Bird Boulevard and Behaviour Byway to get an idea or the ones at Cockatoo Causeway as well (but chances are you saw them already)

panurg

Meeting neighbors
Forgive me for such a personal question, now you are given $60 a week for a bird, as a minor, but how are you planning to make your living when you grow up? Birds will need money spent on them all the time, means you will have to work. In order to get a well payed job, that won’t require 10 hour shifts (in which case you won’t be able to take care of your big too, remember, they need YOU for that long) you need to go to a university, and right there is a problem. Again, I’m sorry for such an upfront question, but you seem to be very sure about your future, and I don’t think many people can be so sure about it at this age. You have indeed done a lot of thinking and research on the birds, which is fantastic, but you didn’t seem to be so clear about how to make it work in relation to your private life. Your animals are the top priority, but they won’t pay your salary, bills, food etc., so you will at some point have to figure that part out. People who dedicate their life to working with animals, almost never make a good living, and in order to make a decent living working with them, you will have to go to school again, which is not easy either, I heard these schools are very competitive, and again, no time for the ‘too part.
Anyway, I, like everyone else here, love the birds, and it will be very sad if another big and difficult to keep bird ends up in a rescue, so forgive me for being so upfront, but I’m doing it for the sake of the birds well-being.

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
Forgive me for such a personal question, now you are given $60 a week for a bird, as a minor, but how are you planning to make your living when you grow up? Birds will need money spent on them all the time, means you will have to work. In order to get a well payed job, that won’t require 10 hour shifts (in which case you won’t be able to take care of your big too, remember, they need YOU for that long) you need to go to a university, and right there is a problem. Again, I’m sorry for such an upfront question, but you seem to be very sure about your future, and I don’t think many people can be so sure about it at this age. You have indeed done a lot of thinking and research on the birds, which is fantastic, but you didn’t seem to be so clear about how to make it work in relation to your private life. Your animals are the top priority, but they won’t pay your salary, bills, food etc., so you will at some point have to figure that part out. People who dedicate their life to working with animals, almost never make a good living, and in order to make a decent living working with them, you will have to go to school again, which is not easy either, I heard these schools are very competitive, and again, no time for the ‘too part.
Anyway, I, like everyone else here, love the birds, and it will be very sad if another big and difficult to keep bird ends up in a rescue, so forgive me for being so upfront, but I’m doing it for the sake of the birds well-being.
I plan on starting my own company straight out of college. If I do that, I can choose my hours as well as bring my bird to work with me.

As for the university, I am going to go to school in Europe. There university is much less expensive than in the USA. The hours are not so long, and they don't expect you to stay up all night working.

Finally, for the money, I don't really care if I'm making much as long as my animals have a good life. Again, if I (For some reason) don't have the money to support the birds, I can always ask my parents for help and they would be glad to help.

The last thing I'm going to do is take my bird to a rescue. Even if I died, I already have a Godparent picked out and they have tons of experience with birds (They have a citron 'too, 2 green cheeks, a cockatiel, and are probably getting more birds soon).

And as for the question, that is totally okay! Your just worried about the bird! :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It is always confusing to me when I hear someone say they want a bird as a support animal. Humans need to support a bird constantly not the other way around. You are responsible for the bird - a bird cannot be responsible for anyone nor anything.

1. Birds never advance intellectually past the age of 2-5.
2. Birds never advance emotionally beyond the age of two.
3. A bird may learn to associate a few words with objects or actions, but will never speak your language nor understand what you are saying.
4. Birds need to be kept in a cage, when you aren't right there with them. For their safety, because they do not know and cannot be taught that many items are harmful or deadly.
5. A bird will chose someone else as their favorite in a second.
6. Birds are the most self centered, selfish, unconcerned about you, animal I have ever owned and I have owned many pets in my 80 years of life.
7. Birds have no feelings whatsoever for you favorite things and will destroy them with gusto and no guilt.

So can someone tell me how a bird can be an emotional support animal for any person.

Aves

It is always confusing to me when I hear someone say they want a bird as a support animal. Humans need to support a bird constantly not the other way around. You are responsible for the bird - a bird cannot be responsible for anyone nor anything.

1. Birds never advance intellectually past the age of 2-5.
2. Birds never advance emotionally beyond the age of two.
3. A bird may learn to associate a few words with objects or actions, but will never speak your language nor understand what you are saying.
4. Birds need to be kept in a cage, when you aren't right there with them. For their safety, because they do not know and cannot be taught that many items are harmful or deadly.
5. A bird will chose someone else as their favorite in a second.
6. Birds are the most self centered, selfish, unconcerned about you, animal I have ever owned and I have owned many pets in my 80 years of life.
7. Birds have no feelings whatsoever for you favorite things and will destroy them with gusto and no guilt.

So can someone tell me how a bird can be an emotional support animal for any person.
Well said!

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I think I emotionally support my parrots, taking care of them helps with my anxiety and it has kept me focused in some less than ideal times. But I can't say that they're emotional support animals, for Sam Axe I'm pretty sure I was his emotional support animal. Cuddly is something it seems is tied with talking for sought out qualities and not something most birds do, and certainly not on our terms. My conure can be a cuddle bug; he'll cuddle up against my cheek and my neck but, more often, he's flying from place to place, playing on the playstand etc.

I completely get the wanting an animal that lives 50+ years, what could be better than having your beloved animal with you for so long? However, that comes with a lot. These guys aren't long-lived dogs or cats, they're birds. My macaw is ~27 years old, I got him when he was ~21. And I was picked by him, not the other way around. He was in a BAD situation, I was there to see if I would commit to the life style, it was a backyard rescue that the owner had lost interest in. I took care of 3 African Greys, 1 Eclectus, 16 20+ Cockatiels and two macaws. I'd wanted an African Grey but, a macaw picked me. If I was ever to adopt another macaw, they would be an adult. Babies can change, adults can too but the time I have with my adult macaw means more to me; quality over quantity. I've had to deal with health issues with him and it's not always easy. He LOVES me. He'll walk over to me, preen me, but it's on his terms; he doesn't step up. He accepts head scritches when he wants them but it's all around what HE wants.

I was an adult before I got my first bird, and I'd wanted one for YEARS. I was also in love with cockatiels. Things change as you go.
I would advise going to a rescue and spending time with the birds. Scarlets are often listed as nippy and aggressive, my scarlet is nothing like that. He can be mouthy but he's not aggressive. He's also VERY quiet for a macaw.
Some people cannot stand Jenday/Sunny Conure's calls; Tibbs' shouting doesn't bother me at all. You might find some of the birds on the list you cannot stand to listen to. And that can help you decide.

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
I...uh...
Porter is my emotional support animal.
For some people it's not the emotions the animal gives but the ability to care for them. A schedule or something to structure your time.

I have bipolar.
Structure and a set schedule are important to stability.
Taking care of Porter is a routine we both expect.
Time for cuddles and feeding and bath time...out time. All regimented.
Plus Porter is gentle, comes to me when I'm upset and trys to preen me when I cry.
I think it depends on the bird really.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I...uh...
For some people it's not the emotions the animal gives but the ability to care for them. A schedule or something to structure your time.

I have bipolar.
Plus Porter is gentle, comes to me when I'm upset and trys to preen me when I cry.
It all depends on the expectations the person is setting on the animal, in your case, it's a perfect fit. I think the biggest issue I took with the OP's post was the emphasis on the bird being cuddly. It sounds like the kind of emotional support animal they are looking for is not the routine aspect but for a cuddle buddy when they feel anxious/depressed etc.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Speaking with my university lecturer hat on, be very careful about making a commitment now that you cannot sustain. At university, you will be timetabled for a certain number of contact hours which will depend on the subject you take. Contact hours are the hours you're actually timetabled for - these may include lectures, seminars and lab hours depending on your subject. However, you will be expected to do a lot of independent study: reading, taking notes, meeting your lecturers to discuss your work, preparing for assessments, perhaps forming a study group and so on. I went to English universities for my undergrad, Masters and PhD and absolutely did all-nighters in the library.

A lot of my students work part-time and often find it very challenging to balance their studies with work. Sometimes they get the balance wrong and find that work cuts into their studying time which means that they do less well than they could have done in assessments. Adding a bird - who needs at least two to three hours out of cage time and your company - to this mix will only make it harder to find that balance.

If you expect starting a company straight out of college to be easy and will let you choose your hours, you have a very harsh wake-up call in your future. The reality is that more small businesses fail than succeed. As a 21/22 year old, you will lack experience in pretty much all aspects of founding and running a business, from establishing contact with suppliers, networking, advertising your products or services, establishing and maintaining an online presence, keeping financial accounts etc. You might be very talented at the thing you want to make money out of, but you won't have experience in making that into a business. You will work every hour God sends to keep on top of things. You will not be choosing your hours and you won't be able to just take the afternoon off if you feel like it.

The next decade or two of your life is going to involve lots of changes, many of which you may not be able to predict. You've got to think about what's fair on both you and a potential bird. It's not fair on a bird if you're unable to spend time with it or can't afford vet treatment. Equally, it's not fair on you to miss out on rewarding, enjoyable and/or valuable things or potential careers because you're responsible for a being with toddler level needs.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@tka Certainly has it correct about owning your own business. I owned businesses for 18 years and I have never worked harder nor put in more hours, ever, in my 80 year life. I didn't have a vacation for three years during one period and that was for only four days. When I went to work for a large corporation, after selling my businesses, I thought I was on permanent vacation. I only had to work 50 - 60 hours per week, instead of 80 - 100 and I had paid vacations, regular days off for holidays and sick days - my goodness just like o vacation all of the time.

If you are planning on buying a bird in the states and taking it to Europe - forget it. Moving a bird from country to country is almost impossible, very expensive and dangerous to the bird due to mandatory quarantine in government facilities.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
PS - When you own your own business, no one hands you a paycheck. In fact there will likely be those times you will have to borrow money (if you are credit worthy) to pay employees, electricity, insurance - on and on. Many times there is not one bit of money left over for yourself - it can be very tough.

Owning your own small business - no matter what it is - is not all rainbows and roses.

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
I...uh...

I have bipolar.
OMG! That's exactly what I want in a bird. I pretty much want a lifelong best friend that gives me something to care for and love, and someone to cheer me up when I'm not feeling great. As for cuddles, I think they're not that important. I like cuddle time because it's a way for me to see that the bird loves me.

I have autism, severe OCD (I was once in an in-patient facility), ODD, I don't know what it's called but my therapist says I'm detached if that makes any sense...

I think I want pretty much what your bird is but in a bigger body.

Thanks for responding, Adriana R. :)