• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New bird?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I love African Grey's, Macaws, and Cockatoos. I'm not a fan of Amazon's, but I am definitely open to one.
Were there any other species you are interested in? Or only large birds?
22 Maybe a lovebird could be a good fit for you? They can be very sweet and loving if given enough time to them. They may or may not be cuddly, each are their own, but they are all playful and super cute. They will certainly cheer you up if you´re having a bad day, though we can´t rely on our pets for our own emotional needs when they are so fragile themselves.
A lovebird can´t be taught free-flight, but they can be harness trained and go out and enjoy the sunshine with you :)

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Adriana :

You stated you are a minor, so please don't assume we are being rude or nasty. We're here for the benefit of the birds.

I have all of the birds you listed....African Grey, Umbrella Cockatoo, B&G Macaw.

I can tell you right out African Greys are not, I repeat not cuddly. Most prefer not to be touched. They are very defensive. They are considered a powder bird...meaning they produce a ton of talc like powder, which gets all over everything. This powder can be bad if you have allergies. They are super intelligent & require a lot of stimulation.

Umbrella Cockatoos are very emotional & require a lot of attention. They are also powder birds & make a ton of powder. Their whine is beyond annoying & they can do it non-stop for hours on end. They can bring the house down with their screams. Add in super destructive. I can't even begin to tell you everything ours has destroyed, but a few are.... the Sofa, TV cable, Drapes, etc. She managed to take apart her cage lock & got out while we were at work.

Macaws are huge birds that require a huge cage & lots of huge toys. They are loud. A scream can be heard blocks away. You may need ear plugs when it reaches breeding age. Their breeding calls are super loud. That big beak can also do some major destruction to your house. They can snap a broom handle if they decide to.

One thing you can not teach a parrot is "NO". You can't teach them not to chew your furniture kitchen cupboards, etc. It's in their nature to do so. You have to keep a close eye on them the entire time they are out of their cages & remove them from causing damage. Don't assume just because they are on a play gym they will stay there. They figure out ways to get off gyms & cages & go sneaking, unheard, around your house taking bites out of things as they go.

Parrots can sense your adrenaline levels. Children can really get them wound up. Once wound up they can become very aggressive & land a serious bite requiring stitches.

Then there are vet bills if your bird gets sick. One visit can cost several hundred dollars, not counting follow up visits.

Vacations are not an option, unless you have a special, very trustworthy, person that can come in & care for them while you are away. Parrots can't be left alone for more than a day or they may get stressed, pluck, etc..

As a minor you haven't even begun to understand what lies ahead of you in life. School, college, job, marriage, children, health issues, etc. We don''t always have control of everything in life. Trust me when I say many of us, that are up there in years, have been thru it all. You can say you're going to do this, this & this, but it doesn't always work out that way. Many parrots end up in rescues, or worse, because of life changes.

Have your parents agreed to you getting a parrot? Do they understand all the ins & outs of owing a parrot?

Since there are other children in your home I would highly suggest you start with a cockatiel & see how it goes. Once you've aged a bit & have a home of your own & feel you still want a large bird I'd suggest a B&G Macaw. Macaws are not as emotional as Cockatoos & don't produce powder.

I would also suggest you try to locate a parrot rescue near your location. Offer to volunteer a few hours a week. This will give you a lot of learned & educational experience before getting a large parrot. If this isn't possible perhaps when you are off school for summer you can volunteer at a rescue or even a zoo.

Whatever you decide please take time to really think it thru. Talk it over with your parents.

Maggiebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sally
Adriana :

You stated you are a minor, so please don't assume we are being rude or nasty. We're here for the benefit of the birds.

I have all of the birds you listed....African Grey, Umbrella Cockatoo, B&G Macaw.

I can tell you right out African Greys are not, I repeat not cuddly. Most prefer not to be touched. They are very defensive. They are considered a powder bird...meaning they produce a ton of talc like powder, which gets all over everything. This powder can be bad if you have allergies. They are super intelligent & require a lot of stimulation.

Umbrella Cockatoos are very emotional & require a lot of attention. They are also powder birds & make a ton of powder. Their whine is beyond annoying & they can do it non-stop for hours on end. They can bring the house down with their screams. Add in super destructive. I can't even begin to tell you everything ours has destroyed, but a few are.... the Sofa, TV cable, Drapes, etc. She managed to take apart her cage lock & got out while we were at work.

Macaws are huge birds that require a huge cage & lots of huge toys. They are loud. A scream can be heard blocks away. You may need ear plugs when it reaches breeding age. Their breeding calls are super loud. That big beak can also do some major destruction to your house. They can snap a broom handle if they decide to.

One thing you can not teach a parrot is "NO". You can't teach them not to chew your furniture kitchen cupboards, etc. It's in their nature to do so. You have to keep a close eye on them the entire time they are out of their cages & remove them from causing damage. Don't assume just because they are on a play gym they will stay there. They figure out ways to get off gyms & cages & go sneaking, unheard, around your house taking bites out of things as they go.

Parrots can sense your adrenaline levels. Children can really get them wound up. Once wound up they can become very aggressive & land a serious bite requiring stitches.

Then there are vet bills if your bird gets sick. One visit can cost several hundred dollars, not counting follow up visits.

Vacations are not an option, unless you have a special, very trustworthy, person that can come in & care for them while you are away. Parrots can't be left alone for more than a day or they may get stressed, pluck, etc..

As a minor you haven't even begun to understand what lies ahead of you in life. School, college, job, marriage, children, health issues, etc. We don''t always have control of everything in life. Trust me when I say many of us, that are up there in years, have been thru it all. You can say you're going to do this, this & this, but it doesn't always work out that way. Many parrots end up in rescues, or worse, because of life changes.

Have your parents agreed to you getting a parrot? Do they understand all the ins & outs of owing a parrot?

Since there are other children in your home I would highly suggest you start with a cockatiel & see how it goes. Once you've aged a bit & have a home of your own & feel you still want a large bird I'd suggest a B&G Macaw. Macaws are not as emotional as Cockatoos & don't produce powder.

I would also suggest you try to locate a parrot rescue near your location. Offer to volunteer a few hours a week. This will give you a lot of learned & educational experience before getting a large parrot. If this isn't possible perhaps when you are off school for summer you can volunteer at a rescue or even a zoo.

Whatever you decide please take time to really think it thru. Talk it over with your parents.
Same thoughts.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wonder that you're still considering a cockatoo as a long term cuddly animal having read My Toos. Anyhow, apart from rabbits, I agree with @Ali about animals that would naturally be more suited to being cuddled and enjoying it: dogs, cats & guinea pigs.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I am a minor and live in a family with other children. The bird needs to be okay in a family setting.
Hi, Adriana! As someone who got into parrot ownership as a minor, I implore you to rethink your decision. Getting birds before I was a self-sufficient adult was one of the biggest mistakes of my life, and proved itself a hurdle again and again when choosing to keep them came at the cost of missing out on countless early opportunities I'll never see again.

It sounds like a long time, but I promise it will feel far shorter than you expect and will absolutely be worth it. I love my birds with all that I am and have, but still I wish more than anything that I'd had someone to tell me to wait until my life was stable and under my own control first.

Please wait.

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
Hey Adriana, welcome to the avenue!

I really have to agree with others that said parrots are not a good emotinal support animal.
In my very limited expirience they're a self-centered, self-serving, well pronounced personas that are a flurry of emotion themselves. (That is part of the charm.)
There is no guarantee that a parrot that you've chosen, take care of and love on will like you back, it is actually very likely that she'd choose some other member of the household. (Unlike a dog that is almost guranteed to like you best if you feed it and spend the most time with it.)
Even if a parrot bonds to you, the self-centered and self-serving, well pronounced personality comes into play. You might be in a dire need of a hug, but the parrot will very likely have other ideas. Would you have the strenght to guide her away from a newly bought toaster, that she wants to destroy, to get her to forage on a toy for some broccoli in that moment? (A dog is very likely to accept cuddles and hugs at any given moment.)
My african grey does cuddle, but only when he wants to. And even then I cut it short and keep it 'civil'... to try and avoid him seeing me as his mate. (You can sleep with a dog and won't be considered a mate.)
Lastly, when I'm nervous or sad or scared my ag picks that right up and then there's both of us feeling nervous and scared there. I literally go outside sometimes, compose myself and come back with a cheery face.
Furthermore there were a lot of instances when I had to play detective trying to figure out what is it that is making my bird(s) scared/angry/frustrated...
(A dog would pick up on the sadness too, but they tend to place their heads in your lap and look at you, you can cry to them, tell them everything while petting them.)

Only my first budgie Niki could have been considered an emotinal support (but he didn't cuddle at all). I got lucky. Or maybe I was too young and didn't see him entirely.

I understand this isn't what you came here looking for but I really feel you need to hear it. I think the above statements are true for most parrots.
Then there's also @Toy s post. Your life is likely going to change dramatically in the coming years... That might be really hard on the parrot.
And recently @Lady Jane posted a really nice article by Pamela Clark, that I feel applies to all parrots also, I strongly suggest you read it:
Or any other of Pams blogs.

I am not suggesting you should get a dog, but in comparison the difference between them and parrots as an emotional support couldn't be more obvious.

If you do choose to get a parrot anyway I'd strongly suggest you get a mature bird from a rescue that has chosen you.

@sunnysmom @tka @Ripshod might also have invaluable isights on the matter.

BirdWorld

Hi Adriana! Welcome to the avenue.
I would like to say that I agree about birds not being an emotional support animal. But I also think that you have done a lot of research, and that if you were to get a bird you would do great with it. The problem is what you will do in the future. Right now you have all the resources, knowledge, and time to take care of a large bird, but what about later? You will have to go to college, you may not have enough money, and you will eventually have to get your own house, and get a job. That is a lot of changes to go through, and your bird will be there for all of them. Maybe in the future you will get an apartment that doesn't allow birds. Then you will have to rehome your bird. On another note, unfortunately, usually big birds like 'toos don't do so well with younger kids, and getting a bite from one can be very traumatizing to a child and could possibly make them afraid of birds for a long time. This is not always the case; I actually know a family with a cockatoo who has young children. They don't actually "play" with the bird however, and it's actually surprisingly calm. So maybe you are prepared for that too. I am a minor with birds too, and I really don't think that I'd be able to handle anything bigger than a conure. Sure, I know how to take care of larger birds, and sure, I have the money to do so, but if I had one for a longer period of time, I don't think I could handle the responsibility of that, and my schoolwork (I am homeschooled but I still have to work of course) and my other pets. And how about noise? Are you prepared for the screaming? Do you have neighbors that aren't? Maybe start out with a bird that's a little easier to take care of (and no, I don't usually believe in starter birds because all birds live a very long time, even budgies) but maybe wait until you're an adult to get a large bird? Perhaps get a conure, or a tiel, or an alexandrine parrot? And I will just make it clear that I'm not saying that you personally are not ready for a large bird; I'm saying that any minor shouldn't have to handle the long-term responsibility of having a large bird. And if you do end up getting one, I think you are definitely on the right track, what with having done so much research. It is clear that if you get a bird, you will be as ready for it as anyone could ever be at this age. :)

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Oh my goodness... Guinea pigs are amazing! I highly recommend a mammals that lives in groups if you want a cuddler.

Parrots live in flocks, and with only short term exceptions (babyhood or breeding) they don't typically do much touching with one another. The reason for this is simple. Birds need to be able to fly. That means they need space to spread their wings in the wild. While flying, the best practice is to maintain a little distance so as not to knock wings with your flockmates.

Some of the happiest parrots in captivity are those who splend plenty of time doing activities in parallel (eating, playing, watching TV, etc.) with their family, with intermittent head scritches when everything is calm. A young parrot that is constantly cuddled by a human will have *so many problems* when it grows up. Those first few years are for learning how to be a big grown-up, independent parrot. Done right, your parrot will be raised to be content playing with toys or on a gym most of the time while you do your human stuff nearby. Yeah, there will be check-in face scritches from time to time. And yeah, you might be honored to receive some hair preening or even a bit of regurgitated chop smeared on your face if you're really lucky, but cuddly sweetness in a large parrot is not something to bank on.

So for emotional support, I would recommend a soft warm mammal that will be happy to have physical affection, excited to give you attention and overjoyed when you provide treats. In my book that would be better than a bird that doesn't want to be touched, gets all worked up to excited/hormone bites when you give too much attention between September and April and mostly drops treats on the floor or throws them against the wall. Oh and did I mention that one of mine strategically poops on me from the top of his cage whenever her gets the chance? Personally, being shat upon is kinda the opposite of emotional support.

(I recognize the importance of emotional support. Even so, I can't resist a little joke: My own need for emotional support often comes *from* having birds.... And I get it here on AA!)

Last edited:

ParrotNuts

Real Name
Atharv
:hello1: I am a minor like you too and have a conure and 2 budgies. Most things I would like to say have already been pointed out very well. I would just like to add that how would you also keep up with your studies with a cockatoo. Right now because of online school the birds are open from 1pm to 5pm and during that time I have to do my homework, prepare for exams, interact with the birds, clean the mess, make sure they are not hungry and many more things. Knowing the biggest bird I have is a conure I wonder what what I would do if I even had a sun conure. Maybe working 48 hours a day would help? :lol:. I am not saying that you should not get a parrot now but what I want to point out is that you may consider a smaller bird. :)

BirdWorld

I wonder what what I would do if I even had a sun conure.
Every time you unmuted your mic during online classes the only thing everyone would hear is AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :rofl::rofl::rofl:

That’s what everyone in my class hears anyways, because of course birds’ natural instinct is to scream whenever they’re not supposed to.

Staatsbrat

Moving in
Real Name
Robin
Hi! My name is Adriana, and I have been thinking about getting a bird for a while. Now, before I get started, I just wanted to share what I know/have so far.

I read the article on mytoos.com and totally understand cockatoos are NOT easy birds.

I have a beginning cost of up to 13,000 dollars.

I know that cockatoos need at least 6 hours of entertainment/out-of-cage time a day.

I am planning to feed only organic chop with Harrison's pellets.

I have watched almost every video on Birdtricks.

I have talked to many people that own parrots (Cockatoos, macaws, etc.)

I am planning on teaching free-flight.

If you showed me a picture of a parrot, I could tell you the species/sub-species in the blink of an eye.

I will have an entire room dedicated to the bird. I call it the "Birdy Nursery".

I know that parrots are very complex animals, and can bite/scream when they are not comfortable.

So, now that I've gotten that out of the way, I want to say what I'm looking for in a bird.

I am a minor and live in a family with other children. The bird needs to be okay in a family setting.

A reason I am getting a bird is as an emotional support animal, so it would be great if it was calm(er) and cuddly.

I love African Grey's, Macaws, and Cockatoos. I'm not a fan of Amazon's, but I am definitely open to one.

Cuddly, cuddly, CUDDLY! :) Also, I want to point out that I know that USUALLY the cuddlier the bird, the more hormonal.

Talking ability is nice, but definitely not a necessity.

So, yeah! That's what I'm looking for in a bird! If you have any ideas of what would be good, please go ahead and drop a comment below! :)

Staatsbrat

Moving in
Real Name
Robin
I know you say you want a bigger bird, but I would suggest that you look at a parrotlet. They BELIEVE they are a big bird and behave much the same, but they are easy to transport with you as you grow up and move different places and they are less of a serious injury risk to others in the house. You can teach and train them the same as any parrot and their messes are much smaller to clean up also. I’ve had a Greenwing, a Blue and Gold, and a conure in the past, but my parrotlet is one of my most favorite birds.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
They BELIEVE they are a big bird and behave much the same
I can second that! My little girl demands my attention at all time unless she's hungry or its nap time lol and she's fun to teach tricks, Very smart little birds and they semi like to cuddle and get head scratches, but that also depends on the birds personality.

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
I’m not trying to be rude but At that age you probably won’t be when you get slightly older. Your constantly trying to find something to do with your life. Think about it like this Do I want to spend the rest of my life with a bird?
Hi!

So, I know for sure what I am going to do with my life, and my animals always come first. I have other animals at home and they come before everything. I am typing this as I am making my cat her raw food diet mix... Hahahaha!

Instead of going out with friends like other teenagers my age would do, I stay at home with my animals.

This was meant in NO way to be rude, but I just wanted to get that out of the way.

Thank you, Adriana R.