• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New bird?

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
cockatoos are definitely not calm! i am a strong believer that there are no beginner birds, but cockatoos are EXTREMELY difficult pets, and even harder for people new to birds and young people. also if you are looking for an emotional support animal, i don’t personally think cockatoos would be the way to go, because of the extreme noise, mess, potential behavioral issues, biting, etc. i would recommend maybe a cockatiel. it seems like you want a larger parrot, which i understand, but cockatiels are pretty calm and relatively quiet. i know this probably isn’t what you wanted to hear, and i’m not trying to seem rude or trying to stop you from getting a cockatoo, i’m just trying to let you know.
I actually really like cockatiels! The only problem is I don't feel as safe around smaller birds because they are more fragile and can get lost easier. I also don't like a cockatiels lifespan. I really want a bird with a lifespan longer than 50 years.

Anyway, thanks for responding! Sincerely, Adriana R.

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
Same thoughts! also are you going to be considered a impulsive buyer once you buy the bird? How long have you thought about this?
I first knew I wanted a bird when I was 6 and met some macaws and a U2 in Cancun. Since then, I have put in tons, and I mean TONS of time (10,000 hours+). So, yes, I am completely sure I want a bird.

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
I can second that! My little girl demands my attention at all time unless she's hungry or its nap time lol and she's fun to teach tricks, Very smart little birds and they semi like to cuddle and get head scratches, but that also depends on the birds personality.
I actually really adore parrotlets, but I hate the lifespan. I really, REALLY want a bird that will live longer than 50 years.

But, thanks for the answer :)

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
If you are 100% sure you can do/afford/handle/separate bird from cats and dogs/spend time a bird maybe look at a cape parrot. They can live up to Sixty years. Or maybe look for a rescue bird because things will change as you get older. Maybe the best option would be fostering for right now, because you never know what's going to happen as you get older. Also parrots are not emotional support animals, they need your support.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
It's interesting that you first knew you'd like a bird at 6 years old. I was 7 & asked for a "large green parrot". I realized as an adult that I was asking for an Amazon. :wideyed:

I'm getting budgies. Some things don't change. :laugh: But I personally think a more moderate lifespan is an advantage. There are very few people I would trust my pets with & all of my pets have back up plans in my will. I'd not trust my friends to fate.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
I actually really adore parrotlets, but I hate the lifespan. I really, REALLY want a bird that will live longer than 50 years.
I do understand the life expectancy is something to think long and hard about like what sparkles says I would have to agree I wouldn't trust many people to give the care level I personally believe I give any of my animals, And as for parrotlets I have seen some with proper care and awareness they can live up to 20 plus years in captivity.

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
I am planning to feed only organic chop with Harrison's pellets.​
Remember that birds need seed every day too​
I am planning on teaching free-flight.​
Free-flight can be dangerous and takes lots of time to master. Your bird should be able to fly but free-flight is dangerous since there is a chance that they will fly away since it is outside. Still you should never clip their wings.​
I am a minor and live in a family with other children. The bird needs to be okay in a family setting.​
If you are planning to go to college be sure that you are prepared to stay home or in an apartment, birds are not allowed in dorms. Birds live a long time and usually attach to one person and one person only​
A reason I am getting a bird is as an emotional support animal, so it would be great if it was calm(er) and cuddly.​
Birds aren't really "cuddly" and this usually means they are hormonal and emotionally different​

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
If you are 100% sure you can do/afford/handle/separate bird from cats and dogs/spend time a bird maybe look at a cape parrot. They can live up to Sixty years. Or maybe look for a rescue bird because things will change as you get older. Maybe the best option would be fostering for right now, because you never know what's going to happen as you get older. Also parrots are not emotional support animals, they need your support.
Thank you! I was actually looking into a cape. I was wondering if you could tell me a bit about their personality since there isn't much info online... Thank you so much, Adriana R.

Aves

Thank you! I was actually looking into a cape. I was wondering if you could tell me a bit about their personality since there isn't much info online... Thank you so much, Adriana R.
They are very stubborn, bite hard, injury prone, and difficult. Also I'm sorry but I read your posts and I don't think you should get a bird.

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
They are very stubborn, bite hard, injury prone, and difficult. Also I'm sorry but I read your posts and I don't think you should get a bird.
That's okay! I should also mention; I will most likely NOT be going to boarding school, that was just an idea.

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
Also, I feel like I should mention, bites are unimportant. I am a minor. Stubborn? I don't mind that. FINALLY, I wanted to thank you for answering my post.

Aves

Also Cape parrots are 3,000 dollars or more and it's hard to find. Your welcome.

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
Also Cape parrots are 3,000 dollars or more and it's hard to find. Your welcome.
That's not a problem. I have 20k as an original cost, after that I have 60 dollars a week for the bird.

:)

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
S/he said they're hard to find though, so that might be a challenge.

Aves

Do you have an avian vet near by? Because cape parrots are prone to injury.

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
I actually really like caiques... Anyone have any experience with them?