• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New bird?

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
Hi! My name is Adriana, and I have been thinking about getting a bird for a while. Now, before I get started, I just wanted to share what I know/have so far.

I read the article on mytoos.com and totally understand cockatoos are NOT easy birds.​
I have a beginning cost of up to 13,000 dollars.​
I know that cockatoos need at least 6 hours of entertainment/out-of-cage time a day.​
I am planning to feed only organic chop with Harrison's pellets.​
I have watched almost every video on Birdtricks.​
I have talked to many people that own parrots (Cockatoos, macaws, etc.)​
I am planning on teaching free-flight.​
If you showed me a picture of a parrot, I could tell you the species/sub-species in the blink of an eye.​
I will have an entire room dedicated to the bird. I call it the "Birdy Nursery".​
I know that parrots are very complex animals, and can bite/scream when they are not comfortable.​
So, now that I've gotten that out of the way, I want to say what I'm looking for in a bird.​
I am a minor and live in a family with other children. The bird needs to be okay in a family setting.​
A reason I am getting a bird is as an emotional support animal, so it would be great if it was calm(er) and cuddly.​
I love African Grey's, Macaws, and Cockatoos. I'm not a fan of Amazon's, but I am definitely open to one.​
Cuddly, cuddly, CUDDLY! :) Also, I want to point out that I know that USUALLY the cuddlier the bird, the more hormonal.​
Talking ability is nice, but definitely not a necessity.​
So, yeah! That's what I'm looking for in a bird! If you have any ideas of what would be good, please go ahead and drop a comment below! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
Hi! My name is Adriana, and I have been thinking about getting a bird for a while. Now, before I get started, I just wanted to share what I know/have so far.

I read the article on mytoos.com and totally understand cockatoos are NOT easy birds.

I have a beginning cost of up to 13,000 dollars.

I know that cockatoos need at least 6 hours of entertainment/out-of-cage time a day.

I am planning to feed only organic chop with Harrison's pellets.

I have watched almost every video on Birdtricks.

I have talked to many people that own parrots (Cockatoos, macaws, etc.)

I am planning on teaching free-flight.

If you showed me a picture of a parrot, I could tell you the species/sub-species in the blink of an eye.

I will have an entire room dedicated to the bird. I call it the "Birdy Nursery".

I know that parrots are very complex animals, and can bite/scream when they are not comfortable.

So, now that I've gotten that out of the way, I want to say what I'm looking for in a bird.

I am a minor and live in a family with other children. The bird needs to be okay in a family setting.

A reason I am getting a bird is as an emotional support animal, so it would be great if it was calm(er) and cuddly.

I love African Grey's, Macaws, and Cockatoos. I'm not a fan of Amazon's, but I am definitely open to one.

Cuddly, cuddly, CUDDLY! :) Also, I want to point out that I know that USUALLY the cuddlier the bird, the more hormonal.

Talking ability is nice, but definitely not a necessity.

So, yeah! That's what I'm looking for in a bird! If you have any ideas of what would be good, please go ahead and drop a comment below! :)

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I have watched almost every video on Birdtricks.
I would take her videos with a grain of salt.

Are you prepared for this lifetime responsibility? When/ If you want to go to post secondary where would the bird stay?

I know that cockatoos need at least 6 hours of entertainment/out-of-cage time a day
Do you go to school? How would you provide that time?

Cuddly, cuddly, CUDDLY! :) Also, I want to point out that I know that USUALLY the cuddlier the bird, the more hormonal.
Nicely said.

@Hankmacaw @Ulis_Beast @faislaq are some of the many members on here who own bigger birds and would be able to give better advice.

Good Job with your research.

I will have an entire room dedicated to the bird. I call it the "Birdy Nursery".
I am a minor and live in a family with other children. The bird needs to be okay in a family setting.
These birds are VERY destructive. Are you ready for not just the starting price, but the price for the rest of their ( And your) lifetime?

How old are these children? Bird bites to a small child could be traumatizing.

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I responded to your other post. Welcome to the avenue!

Reactions: Ali

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
I would take her videos with a grain of salt.

Are you prepared for this lifetime responsibility? When/ If you want to go to post secondary where would the bird stay?

Do you go to school? How would you provide that time?

Nicely said.

@Hankmacaw @Ulis_Beast @faislaq are some of the many members on here who own bigger birds and would be able to give better advice.

Good Job with your research.

These birds are VERY destructive. Are you ready for not just the starting price, but the price for the rest of their ( And your) lifetime?

How old are these children? Bird bites to a small child could be traumatizing.
Hi! Thanks for responding! I am ready for this lifetime responsibility, and that is actually a major reason I have chosen a parrot as a pet.

As for school, my school ends at 2. I have free time from 2 to 9 PM. Also, if I do get a parrot, I will look into homeschooling.

As for the price, I definitely havethe money, so that won't be an issue. I have 60 dollars a week to spend on the bird.

Maggiebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sally
Welcome! It’s always good to get your dream bird from the start. If you choose a smaller easier bird like a budgie as a beginner bird you would soon get tired of it and want something more challenging.But you also need to be 100 percent sure that you are going to be fine living with a screaming 3 year old for 70+years who can fly.Also just from personal experience I thought when I was 10 I was ready for a parrot but I wasn’t and when I was 12 I was but I hated the screaming which you can’t get rid of.It’s going to be tough in this case if your family can’t stand yelling or any noises then a bird is not the right choice. Also at this time you would be growing up getting a job soon, driving, having homework, and then you go off to college or do something else with your life. Will your parents be fine with caring for your bird?also not all cockatoos are the same some might be cuddly others might not. African Greys I heard are not cuddly. It is not as easy as it looks.You should never EVER get a bird because it’s reputation of being cuddly. I hope I helped you in some way.You are wanting a bird that does exist but not easy to find.

Maggiebird

Real Name
Sally
Hi! Thanks for responding! I am ready for this lifetime responsibility, and that is actually a major reason I have chosen a parrot as a pet.

As for school, my school ends at 2. I have free time from 2 to 9 PM. Also, if I do get a parrot, I will look into homeschooling.

As for the price, I definitely havethe money, so that won't be an issue. I have 60 dollars a week to spend on the bird.
I’m not trying to be rude but At that age you probably won’t be when you get slightly older. Your constantly trying to find something to do with your life. Think about it like this Do I want to spend the rest of my life with a bird?

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I would just like to say that birds DO NOT make good emotional support animals. If that is your reasoning for a parrot, then a dog, cat, guinea pig, rabbit etc are much much better. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

birdy.929

Walking the driveway
cockatoos are definitely not calm! i am a strong believer that there are no beginner birds, but cockatoos are EXTREMELY difficult pets, and even harder for people new to birds and young people. also if you are looking for an emotional support animal, i don’t personally think cockatoos would be the way to go, because of the extreme noise, mess, potential behavioral issues, biting, etc. i would recommend maybe a cockatiel. it seems like you want a larger parrot, which i understand, but cockatiels are pretty calm and relatively quiet. i know this probably isn’t what you wanted to hear, and i’m not trying to seem rude or trying to stop you from getting a cockatoo, i’m just trying to let you know.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I responded to your other thread.

Not all birds are going to be cuddly. Especially after they grow up...

Maggiebird

Real Name
Sally
cockatoos are definitely not calm! i am a strong believer that there are no beginner birds, but cockatoos are EXTREMELY difficult pets, and even harder for people new to birds and young people. also if you are looking for an emotional support animal, i don’t personally think cockatoos would be the way to go, because of the extreme noise, mess, potential behavioral issues, biting, etc. i would recommend maybe a pionus, poicephalus parrot, or a cockatiel. it seems like you want a larger parrot, which i understand, but these birds are all very calm and relatively quiet. pionus/poicephalus are not so much cuddly, but it all depends on what you are looking for. maybe a conure too, but those birds are not calm either. i know this probably isn’t what you wanted to hear, and i’m not trying to seem rude or trying to stop you from getting a cockatoo, i’m just trying to let you know.
Same thoughts! also are you going to be considered a impulsive buyer once you buy the bird? How long have you thought about this?

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I'm going to copy and paste what I said on the other thread for the people that haven't seen the other thread.

I would just like to say that birds DO NOT make good emotional support animals. If that is your reasoning for a parrot, then a dog, cat, guinea pig, rabbit etc are much much better. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
cockatoos are definitely not calm! i am a strong believer that there are no beginner birds, but cockatoos are EXTREMELY difficult pets, and even harder for people new to birds and young people. also if you are looking for an emotional support animal, i don’t personally think cockatoos would be the way to go, because of the extreme noise, mess, potential behavioral issues, biting, etc. i would recommend maybe a pionus, poicephalus parrot, or a cockatiel. it seems like you want a larger parrot, which i understand, but these birds are all very calm and relatively quiet. pionus/poicephalus are not so much cuddly, but it all depends on what you are looking for. maybe a conure too, but those birds are not calm either. i know this probably isn’t what you wanted to hear, and i’m not trying to seem rude or trying to stop you from getting a cockatoo, i’m just trying to let you know.
I agree, cockatiels are very cuddly and are in the cockatoo family. They are also goofy and good with families usually. You can't free-flight train, but I don't suggest free flight training in any circumstances, because of predators, getting lost etc. I'm not trying to hate, just trying to open eyes to different possibilities. I also agree with @Ali , most of the time they are there to be served, not the other way around.

Maggiebird

Real Name
Sally
I'm going to copy and paste what I said on the other thread for the people that haven't seen the other thread.

Yeah birds should never be a emotional support animal.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I have merged these threads to keep all the responses in one place.

Welcome to the Avenue Adriana :)

Maggiebird

Real Name
Sally
I agree, cockatiels are very cuddly and are in the cockatoo family. They are also goofy and good with families usually. You can't free-flight train, but I don't suggest free flight training in any circumstances, because of predators, getting lost etc. I'm not trying to hate, just trying to open eyes to different possibilities. I also agree with @Ali , most of the time they are there to be served, not the other way around.
Yes that’s true.

Reactions: Ali