• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Bird Owner

beans1150

Moving in
Real Name
Janelle
Hey everyone, so I’m new here and to bird owning. I just got a 6.5 month old male peach-faced lovebird and I have a few questions. Before I got the bird I did some research and Lovebirds seemed like a good way to go for me. I have a medium Hagen Vision cage (I think that’s what it’s called) with some perches (all different sizes and textures) and a few toys. What other things should I have in the cage? I was thinking about a little hidey hut thing but I’m not sure if he’ll get territorial or what. Also he isn’t doing it as much right not but he seems to be biting his feet a lot I don’t know if that’s normal. He has a scab there (from before I got him) but nothing new even after all the biting. He seems very healthy and that’s the only issue. He was eating and drinking on the first day here but maybe the biting of his feet is out of stress? If anyone could let me know and maybe Give me some beginner’s advice and normal behaviour for thsi please be let me know.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on your new love!

No hidey huts - they’re death traps. You could get him a seagrass “tent” if you want, but that may encourage hormonal and/or aggressive behavior.

As for toys, lovies love things that they can shred and destroy (seagrass, cork, balsa), swings, and bells to ring. Make sure any toys you get are safe and made from safe materials.

Vision cages really aren’t large enough as a permanent cage, so it would be great if you could save up for a flight cage (32x22). They’re high-energy little birds.

The foot chewing is a concern. You should take him to an avian vet to make sure he’s okay. He may need treatment.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Congrats on your new guy!

Definitely get the foot checked. It sounds like the scab is probably irritating him and he may make it worse with chewing.

What food is he eating?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Vision cages are directly opposite of the definition of what a bird needs. The birds end up spending time in a cage that is usually taller than wide which does not allow for in cage flight and wing exercise. The perches the cage comes with are hard plastic leading to pressure sores on the sole of their feet. Vision cages are pretty to look at and keep the seed mess from the floor so they are more conducive to what humans want than a bird. The sides of the cage are held together with small plastic clips which often do not stay in place. Formally having budgies in one of these cages I am now advising others of the drawbacks. You can get a nice flight cage for the cost of the Vision cages.

Anyway thanks for joining and asking about how to enhance your birds cage life. It shows you care.

beans1150

Moving in
Real Name
Janelle
Congrats on your new love!

No hidey huts - they’re death traps. You could get him a seagrass “tent” if you want, but that may encourage hormonal and/or aggressive behavior.

As for toys, lovies love things that they can shred and destroy (seagrass, cork, balsa), swings, and bells to ring. Make sure any toys you get are safe and made from safe materials.

Vision cages really aren’t large enough as a permanent cage, so it would be great if you could save up for a flight cage (32x22). They’re high-energy little birds.

The foot chewing is a concern. You should take him to an avian vet to make sure he’s okay. He may need treatment.
Okay thanks so much for all the info. I had emailed the lady I got him from asking about the foot and she said it’s possible he wants a bath or to be sprayed with water? She had mentioned that but obviously I don’t want to just brush off the fact that I might need to take him to the vet and I have an avian vet about 5 minutes away from my house so it’s no issue. As for the cage I am home a lot and after he was used to me (which is coming along more quickly than I thought) my plan was to have him playing outside of it for most of the time but should I still get another cage?

beans1150

Moving in
Real Name
Janelle
Congrats on your new guy!

Definitely get the foot checked. It sounds like the scab is probably irritating him and he may make it worse with chewing.

What food is he eating?
Okay. He is eating FortiMix which is a blend of pellets and seeds but I do not intend to keep him on this for long. The old owners fed him food from petsmart and the only foods they carry there are low quality seed diets and from what I understand he wasn’t introduced to fresh foods really. I have a specialty bird store downtown and I want to start introducing him to a pelleted diet and he’s being offered various fruits and veggies but those stay untouched. I get that he’s probably still not used to everything so I’m just making sure he eats what he can that won’t kill him

Reactions: Jas

beans1150

Moving in
Real Name
Janelle
Vision cages are directly opposite of the definition of what a bird needs. The birds end up spending time in a cage that is usually taller than wide which does not allow for in cage flight and wing exercise. The perches the cage comes with are hard plastic leading to pressure sores on the sole of their feet. Vision cages are pretty to look at and keep the seed mess from the floor so they are more conducive to what humans want than a bird. The sides of the cage are held together with small plastic clips which often do not stay in place. Formally having budgies in one of these cages I am now advising others of the drawbacks. You can get a nice flight cage for the cost of the Vision cages.

Anyway thanks for joining and asking about how to enhance your birds cage life. It shows you care.
Okay thanks. I’ll see what I can sort out. Unfortunately his wings are clipped (not my choice it was done before I got him) so he’s not a huge flier he uses his beak to climb everywhere.

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Lots of Ladders and Rope perches so he can get around easier and perhaps pad the bottom of cage just in case he falls if you do get a larger one.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay thanks so much for all the info. I had emailed the lady I got him from asking about the foot and she said it’s possible he wants a bath or to be sprayed with water? She had mentioned that but obviously I don’t want to just brush off the fact that I might need to take him to the vet and I have an avian vet about 5 minutes away from my house so it’s no issue. As for the cage I am home a lot and after he was used to me (which is coming along more quickly than I thought) my plan was to have him playing outside of it for most of the time but should I still get another cage?
You’re welcome! :) No, his foot issue sounds like it needs professional attention. It’s great that you have an avian vet so close! (Bathing is important as well,but you can test out whether he prefers bathing in a bowl on his own, being misted, etc.)

Well, it’s excellent that he’ll be outside of the cage most of the time, but it’s important to have a good sized cage for when you need to put him up or if you need to spend more time away from home at some point. (Plus more room for toys.) I agree with what @Lady Jane said. The flight cages really aren’t badly priced, especially for the size. (The dimensions were supposed to be 32x21, not 32x22 - typo.) They’re also sturdier than Vision cages.

Glad you’re here with us, and I hope that you remain an active member! :) Your baby is beautiful!

Last edited:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay thanks. I’ll see what I can sort out. Unfortunately his wings are clipped (not my choice it was done before I got him) so he’s not a huge flier he uses his beak to climb everywhere.
With him having clipped wings, I agree that if/when you get a larger cage, pad the bottom until his wings grow in. I did this for my little hen, Neutrino, as she has foot issues and came to me with clipped wings. I do hope you’ll let his wings grow in as they love to fly and it’s healthier for them physically and psychologically. :) Or maybe you could wait until he’s flighted to transition him to a larger cage.

Something I did for Snerky when the groomer clipped one of her wings by accident was hanging interlocking seagrass mats midway in her cage in case she fell.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You sound like a wonderful, responsible bird person. My budgies flight feathers were cut by breeder before they fledged. I asked him not to but response was its my policy. Both birds were put in a flight cage after I got them. There was some clumsy activities but they loved all the room. It took a better part of a year for re growth. Flying lessons began in the bathroom because it's small then progressed to the living room. I placed a few ladders in the cage for exercise waiting for feathers to grow.

Enjoy you little guy and be safe!

beans1150

Moving in
Real Name
Janelle
With him having clipped wings, I agree that if/when you get a larger cage, pad the bottom until his wings grow in. I did this for my little hen, Neutrino, as she has foot issues and came to me with clipped wings. I do hope you’ll let his wings grow in as they love to fly and it’s healthier for them physically and psychologically. :) Or maybe you could wait until he’s flighted to transition him to a larger cage.

Something I did for Snerky when the groomer clipped one of her wings by accident was hanging interlocking seagrass mats midway in her cage in case she fell.
Okay I will keep the bottom padded for him. Any suggestions on what I should use??

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
When I padded cage bottom I put a towel on top of grate and under newspaper and it worked. I did this when my budgies were first in flight cage.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on getting your love bird.
Padding the cage: layers of paper towels, non stringy towels or non pilling fleece.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay I will keep the bottom padded for him. Any suggestions on what I should use??
I used folded baby blankets inside of a large zippered cotton pillow case (zipper was a hidden one and that end was folded under) and it seemed to work well. Just keep an eye out for any problems.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:welave:

You've gotten some great advice. I'd make sure to get your lovie checked by the avian vet.

Does he have a name? Do you know his gender or are you just calling him "he"?

Also.......
:needpics:

Lol. We LOVE pictures around here! :cheer:

beans1150

Moving in
Real Name
Janelle
Yeah I’m lucky to live in a city with lots of great specialty vets so I came in contact with him and he just had really dry feet :( so I’ve been putting coconut oil on them and it seems to help (what the vet said). His name is Beans and he had been sexed prior to when I got him and the vet confirmed he is a boy.