• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New additions

AzKhaleesi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Heather
also.... because I got home late, and didn't text you, how the heck did you get her down? lol

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
also.... because I got home late, and didn't text you, how the heck did you get her down? lol
A step stool gave me just enough height to reach her, and get a picture of her achievement. Then she got a lecture about biting me on my butt. She was happy to go back in her cage after that. She was done for the night.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
A step stool gave me just enough height to reach her, and get a picture of her achievement. Then she got a lecture about biting me on my butt. She was happy to go back in her cage after that. She was done for the night.
Adding to your "to do" list for 2021.... Squats... firm up that backend... If it wasn't for my tight hiney I'd have pock marks on both cheeks from Lola making a grab when I don't pay attention bending over... :D

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
She is so beautiful. @AzKhaleesi you are so lucky to be getting such a spoiled well socialized girl.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Our Cockatoo REALLY likes Grits or Irish Oatmeal, fed on a spoon-- she starts making baby gulping noises, even tho she's about 18 yr old! :laugh:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Greenwings seem prone to laying on their backs (don't know why). Hank would lay on his back often and sometimes for no reason. Jasper would play with toys on her back.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Greenwings seem prone to laying on their backs (don't know why). Hank would lay on his back often and sometimes for no reason. Jasper would play with toys on her back.
she’s so silly sometimes. She’s learning to launch herself into the air from the floor. I sit and play with her and when she’s done pretending to be a hover craft she just rolls over and lays there so I can rub her Bally. Sometimes I put her in my arm like a baby.
Her parents are breeding again so I’ll get to start this all over again in 6 weeks. I expect the patio enclosure to start soon and I hope it won’t disturb them.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Someone has been quite sassy recently. She went in to get her nails filed down yesterday. I've got scars on my arm from her now.

In other news, the city has finally approved our plans to have the patio enclosed. I spoke to the builder and it's a good thing they are booked out until the end of March. Freya's mom has two eggs under her - that I know of. I still see them breeding so who knows what we can expect this time. The delay in construction will give them time to hatch and we can pull the chicks right before they start construction.

Attachments

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
So we've had a bit of a change for Freya. Her adoptive mom has decided that it's not a good fit. Freya was not really interested in her, had become aggressive, and given both her and her fiance a few pretty bad bites over the last few weeks. We talked about it a bit and agree that what's best for Freya has to come first. She will get an option on a future chick when life calms down a bit and no hard feelings either way. It's about what's best for Freya, not the humans. I reached out to someone who I think might be a better fit for Freya. It's pretty clear that she prefers men over women.

Freya met her potential new man on Tuesday and while she was standoffish at first she's starting to come around. She kept trying to run back to me, but I would keep passing her back. She tried to puff herself up and be intimidating to him, but he's a big guy and she quickly learned that he wasn't impressed by her big scary big routine. We're taking things slowly to see how it goes. She has done well with strangers in the past, but since she started flying I haven't taken her anywhere because I don't want to clip her big beautiful wings.

Recall training is a work in progress. With conures, it was pretty easy to put them on the counter, step away and encourage them to fly to me. They pick it up quickly and are pretty consistent with it. For Freya, I've had to break it down into smaller steps. She will take off from my arm and land on the counter, but coming the other way just escapes her. I decided to try a different tactic. I put my arm on the edge of the counter and had her step up. Then I put her back and put my arm level with the counter and had her step onto it. When she did that, I moved my arm a foot away. That puzzled her for a few minutes, but she figured out she could use her beak to stabilize herself and step over. That worked well until she lost interest. I tried stepping further back, but she wouldn't jump for me. A few hours later she kept trying to step onto the back of a chair we have along the island. I don't want her nails piercing the leather so I pulled it away. Being denied something she really wants frustrates her, so I put my arm across the back of the chair. In seconds she jumped for it and landed right on my arm. Now that I've figured out how she thinks about things it should be easier to work out the best way to get my wishes across to her. It's all baby steps. For her and for me.

I think we have a few weeks of hand-feeding left and then this baby will be weaned. I've been giving her almonds in the shell and today, for the first time, I saw her actually putting in the work to get it open. She ended up rolling onto her back with it in her mouth and then bit her own foot a few times trying to grab and hold it. She did eventually get it open and eat it. It was quite the chore for her and now she's taking a nap.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
It's about what's best for Freya, not the humans.
Im so sorry it didn't work out for her previous adopted mom, But as I quoted from your post it is about the animals happiness then our must have emotions.

I enjoy following your stories on the baby you are rearing! I just awe over the pictures in amazement of what beautiful birds they turn out to! Best of luck with her new Adoptive dad!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
JMO but I'm so taken with Freya that I'm glad you are finding someone who is more appropriate. I'm afraid that she is so assertive and lively that she needs someone who can't be bluffed. Good on ya.

Behave Freya!!!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
JMO but I'm so taken with Freya that I'm glad you are finding someone who is more appropriate. I'm afraid that she is so assertive and lively that she needs someone who can't be bluffed. Good on ya.

Behave Freya!!!
Thanks. One of the concerns was disrupting the existing flock by adding a bird who wasn't really bonded with the owners. I've met almost all of the other birds at one time or another. They are all very sweet, but very clear about who they like and don't like. Who knows how that might change if a younger bird who isn't happy to be there is added to the mix. It's better to realize it isn't a good fit now before she goes home than afterward when everyone is miserable. No hard feelings though, and there are more chicks on the way, and we're going to make one from the fall clutch available to them. Freya's mom, Zelda, isn't a pet, but she does have a very assertive personality and I see a lot of that in Freya. Zachary is very laid back so maybe a male chick is a better option. I've helped hand feed and raise other macaw chicks at the store, but Freya is the first one that's come from one of my own pairs. It's been a learning experience for everyone.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My two GWs (Hank and Jasper) had personalities as far apart as the North and South poles. Now my new girl Kitty has an even different personality. I's a crap shoot with every bird. I personally fall hard for the bad boys and girls.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I discovered that Freya's parents have 3 eggs in the box. Zachary was screaming because Zelda was out of the box too long so I managed to get a quick peek inside of the box. They are far less aggressive than they were the last time. There is a lot less screaming these days as well. We're about a week away from when I expect the first hatching to happen. I'm hoping for good results.

Freya is continuing on her journey. She's doing really well with the new guy and I'm confident it is a good fit. Weaning is still in process. I'm not sure when she will finally give up the hand feeding, but she's eating bigger things on her own and has finally figured out how to crack nuts and hold food in her feet. It's all baby steps. We've done really well with recall training. She's stubborn and easily distracted, but when she does it, she does it well.

Today she was laying on her back and holding one finger in her foot and the other with her beak. She didn't want to let go of either. I would pull my finger and she would growl, so I pulled harder and she growled louder. She wasn't putting any pressure on it so it's not like she was hurting me. She just wasn't going to give it back to me.... so I pinched one of her toes and then she didn't want to play anymore. Fickle girl.

The other picture was from a few days ago. She had been out playing for a few hours and we wore her out. She crawled onto my arm, without being asked, closed her eyes, and went right to sleep.

Attachments

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Awwwwww. Freya is so cute.