• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New additions

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Beautiful!! Nice work, all of you. I can't remember, do you have Buffons as well? If yes, do they breed for you?

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My goodness, look at the size of that baby. It is huge (unless you are tiny). Are you going to hand feed from now on or allow the parents to have a part in the raising?
They are really big green wings and the previous owner said they have really big babies. We're going to hand feed. The most interaction I can have with the parents is the female will let me scratch her beak through the cage. The male wants to kill me. Co-parenting won't ever be an option with them.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Beautiful!! Nice work, all of you. I can't remember, do you have Buffons as well? If yes, do they breed for you?
I have a male Buffons who is paired with a female Green Wing. They are companions, but I wouldn't say they are bonded as a pair. I won't give them a box anyway. I would love to find a female for him, but it's been difficult. The Green Wing female really tries his patience some days, but they work well together. I have two pairs of Red Fronted Macaws, and a pair that produces harlequins. I'm not a fan of hybrids, but they came to me as a proven pair and I don't want to separate them.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I love Buffons - keep looking for a female! I hate to consider that we'll lose this breed for domestic breeding. I know there are some in TX...

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love Buffons - keep looking for a female! I hate to consider that we'll lose this breed for domestic breeding. I know there are some in TX...
I talked with a breeder in Louisiana who has a female and was open to a trade. He had no luck breeding her, so he had her scoped and discovered that she's just not fertile. He has another male, but that doesn't do me much good without another girl.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Here's a contact I had from several years ago - might be worth looking into, but it might also be the same person... Jude Legarde, araplantation@hotmail.com, 225-766-8355. I never contacted this person, as I didn't have time or space for another macaw, as much as I wanted one...

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here's a contact I had from several years ago - might be worth looking into, but it might also be the same person... Jude Legarde, araplantation@hotmail.com, 225-766-8355. I never contacted this person, as I didn't have time or space for another macaw, as much as I wanted one...
I believe that’s the same person I spoke to. Some of the birds he has are restricted from going across state lines so he wanted to setup a trade. That would make it easier. Unfortunately I would have to drive to Baton Rouge from Phoenix to make it happen.

Reactions: Ali

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Both of my GWs were small. I'd love to have a big bruiser like Brian's baby - but I don't have the time left (nor patience) to raise one. Are you going to keep him/her @BrianB or sell him/her?

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Holy....!!! That is one large baby! :xflove:

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
He/she is already reserved. I’ve been updating the family with pictures but haven’t invited them over to see it yet. I want to wait a few weeks before I do the dna but everyone seems to think we have a boy just because of the size. It hit 1lb this morning and it’s only 22 days old today.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here is our baby from yesterday. It's in a small tub while the bigger one was being cleaned. Today we are 35 days old and 750 grams. I'll have to get a new kitchen scale because this beast is getting so big I can't get the whole body on it to get an accurate weight.

Its new mom came over last night to visit for the first time. She's totally in love and this little monster curled up on her chest and went right to sleep. The name choices are Loki if we have a boy, and Freya if we have a girl.

Attachments

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Awww.... too cute!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Wellllll - those names are ok. But a boy name would be Sampson (Sam) and a girl name Amazon (Amy). It's looking better with open eyes and fuz.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I suggested Diego because it was the first thing that came to mind when we pulled it from the nest. She’s got this whole Norse mythology/Game of Thrones things going on with her birds so whatever works for her.

My personal nickname is Chunky Monkey because that what I call it when it’s time to eat.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'll bet that dude does EAT. One of my very favorite GW macaws was named Diego. He's a hoot.

Diego Bustin' a move!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll bet that dude does EAT. One of my very favorite GW macaws was named Diego. He's a hoot.
Diego looks like a riot. We had to change the feeding for the little one. The first two weeks went great, and we were up to 45ml every 4 hours but then it started throwing it up. Last weekend it lost 9 grams over the day before so we went off to the vet to make sure there wasn't an issue like aspiration or something. Everything was good and the Dr had no good explination for the vomiting. What I think was happening was the little one was twisting its neck around when trying to feed and it was kinking the esophagus then spitting it back out because it couldn't get it down. At her suggestion we reduced the feeding schedule to every 2 hours and limited to 20ml at a time with a 20ml syringe instead of the 60ml one. We also thickened the formula a little. We have a good feeding response now and I'm lucky to keep my fingers intact. I'm guessing we're averaging about 160-200ml over the course of the day. Everything is back on track now so I'm happy.