• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New additions

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My little girl isn't so little anymore, both with her body and her attitude. An African Grey joined the flock on Saturday. She's had a rough few months and needs a place away from her previous home where she can be in a quiet environment. As loud as my place can be, it is as quiet as a library compared to where she was before. Freya is experiencing jealousy for the first time and it hasn't gone well. The Grey doesn't come out of her cage much and I've made it a point to be hands-off for a while just to let her climate and relax. This morning Freya was getting fed and I gave her some one-on-one time. I had to start working so I went to put her back into her cage and she had a fit. She fluffed herself up, screamed, then she bit me. That didn't go over very well. I've never been very loud with her, but she got an earful and then went back into her cage to pout. A few hours later I took her back out and she wouldn't even look at me. Maybe she was just giving me some more attitude and ignoring me, but I like to think she was ashamed of herself.

In other news, the guy who was working with her has had a life change that required him to not go through with the purchase. Family issues have thrown a wrench into his plans, but I understand that he has to take care of himself before he can add another big bird to his life. With the knowledge that she's not overly fond of women, another gentleman has come to the front and is going to take her. Their first interaction went well and we got her onto his wife's arm without too much fussing. She's still weaning and being stubborn about it. I'm not forcing the issue, but if she initially refuses a syringe, then she has to wait until the next feeding time. I'm not going to coax her into taking it and when that happens, she does eat from her bowl. Progress is a slow process.

Freya's siblings are on the way. I believe the first of the spring clutch has hatched. Zachary is guarding the box, and Zelda doesn't even peek out of it. This is going to be difficult because I have to move their cage on Thursday. The patio enclosure is starting soon, and we're having the floor done this Friday. It was the only day on the schedule we could get it done without waiting until May. We're going to gently roll the cage as far as we can, then we're going to have to pick it up and move it across the yard. I'm prepared to pull chicks if I have to, but I hope we can do this with as little disturbance as possible. I was going to pull the chick/chicks on the 21st anyway, which would put them at about 15 days old.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, it looks like we've had an infertile clutch. We're long past when I expected the first to hatch. I think this is for the best. Construction started last week and I would rather have them sitting on infertile eggs than be stressed and killing chicks. They can try again in the fall when things have calmed down again.

Here is Freya enjoying a popsicle with me. She landed on my shoulder as I was cleaning up from the evening feeding. I took her to the freezer with me and she was fascinated by everything inside. she kept trying to grab anything in reach. I pulled out one for me and one for her. As soon as I cracked it open she jumped at it. After a few bites and some serious licking she had some brain freeze so she backed off. It's always an adventure when she tries new things she can eat.

Attachments

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My baby girl is finally weaned. She had become impossible to feed and while she was begging for the food, she was fighting us on hand feeding. One day last week after she got the formula all over everything I said that's enough and cut her off. We've been monitoring her weight and making sure she's eating her own pellet food and veggies. She's got more energy than she knows what to do with and the people who are buying her having come to visit every week. She has an appointment for a wellness check and microchip at the end of April. My plan is for the guy to visit as much as possible and then meet us at the vet so she can go home from there. My thought is to use him as her savior. I'll take her to the vet and then she can be handed off to him and go home from there, then I can cry like a baby in the parking lot after they drive away.

IMG_2265.jpeg

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'd cry too @BrianB . Freya is a very special girl. I just hope she doesn't drive her new mom and dad into the loony bin. I hope her new parents can live up to her potential.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd cry too @BrianB . Freya is a very special girl. I just hope she doesn't drive her new mom and dad into the loony bin. I hope her new parents can live up to her potential.
I think she will do great with them. I've seen everything they have waiting for her and she's definitely going to be a spoiled princess. The wife is intimidated by Freya's beak, but I've shown her how I manhandle Freya and that Freya knows the humans are in control. Once she gets past her settling-in period I think she will be an amazing girl for them.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Freya goes home this weekend. Kai, the red-fronted macaw goes home next weekend, and the patio enclosure is close to being finished. I'm starting to think these birds are conspiring against me. We purchased 5 new flight cages. Three big ones for the macaws, and two smaller ones for the greys, or maybe the red-fronted. We moved Freya's parents out into the yard so the patio could be worked on. The plan was to move then back before the sliding glass door goes on. Their cage is just too big to fit otherwise. We were going to bring the cage in, move them to a new, slightly smaller cage and then trash the old one. They had been sitting on 3 eggs that we expected to hatch right around the start of construction. That clutch turned out to be infertile. I'll take that over a pair that gets stressed and kills their chicks. I pulled 2 of the three eggs but couldn't get to the last one because it had been pushed into the corner and I like to keep my fingers intact. A few weeks go by and I decided to see if I could pull the egg before we move them inside. Selda has started laying another clutch. Not only did I find the old egg, but there is a new one right next to it. I'm leaving them alone, and now we will have to move their cage with another clutch inside. I also wanted to get their nails and beaks trimmed when we moved them to a new cage, but that isn't happening now either. I've considered shortening their cage by removing 12 inches from the front, but there's the whole thing about getting bit and bleeding.

Someone has offered me a pair of military macaws, but I think I'm going to pass. The price is good, but I don't want another big pair, and I want a vacation this year. That won't happen with a house full of baby macaws to take care of.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My baby girl has gone home. She had her wellness check and microchip this morning. The Dr said she is perfect - perfect weight, well-fed, beautiful colors and very well behaved. Her new dad was able to come in and ask the vet some questions, and then I slipped out with Kai so she couldn't see me. It isn't goodbye forever. I'll get to see her when she comes in for grooming at the store. I was ready for her to go home, but I'm going to miss her.

Today I'm pulling 3 baby red-fronted macaws and I'll start it all over with a new batch.

IMG_2530.jpg

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awww. It’s hard when they leave the nest.

But Job Well Done! Kudos! She’s off to do big things and make others smile.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Bye Freya - it's been wonderful watching you grow up. Please stop by and say hello now and then. Be a good girl (well sorta anyway) for your new family.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Freya is a special beauty, and it sounds like she has a great home. The new babies will hopefully keep you busy enough to not miss her too much!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I heard from Freya’s mom and dad yesterday. She’s doing great and they are thrilled with her. She’s bonded with them both, but the man more than the woman. Nothing I didn’t expect. She’s figured out a path to fly through the house and land on his shoulder. There is also a large play stand that she enjoys hanging out on. I’m really happy that she’s thriving with them.

Gigibirds

Aww, I'm so happy for them all :)

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
I heard from Freya’s mom and dad yesterday. She’s doing great and they are thrilled with her. She’s bonded with them both, but the man more than the woman. Nothing I didn’t expect. She’s figured out a path to fly through the house and land on his shoulder. There is also a large play stand that she enjoys hanging out on. I’m really happy that she’s thriving with them.
great work and parenting.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My adult green wings, Freya's parents, have had a spat or something. Zelda was on the bottom of the cage, making a crying sound. I went to check on her and she's not injured or anything. Maybe one of them was trying to entice the other to breed and the other isn't interested. When I came home from work I went to check on her and she was at the bottom again looking very sad. She let me scratch her head but Zachary came out of the nest box very angry and screaming. I'm not sure what's going on with the two of them.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My baby girl is coming to the store tomorrow for some grooming. Her dad said she's amazing and very well-behaved. She plays a little rough and can be nippy when she gets excited, but she doesn't bite and if he tells her to back off and calm down she does. I can't wait to see her.

Her parents have worked out whatever the issue was and Zachary is no longer being so rough with her. I think it was jealousy because of the pair in the cage next to them. I put up a visual barrier and they settled down. She's on eggs again and they are both back to their normal selves. Zachary got out of his cage this morning because someone didn't latch the door properly. I had just crawled out of bed and I was standing in the kitchen waiting for the coffee to be finished. I saw him standing on the top of his cage looking very proud of himself. He's a very large green wing and I wasn't really up for bloodshed so early in the morning. I went out there and took the "dad voice" with him. "Get back in that cage right now!" It worked because he went right down the side and back through the door. He's one big bird and he's never been handled so a bite from him would be horrible.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Do you mean baby girl Freyda? Pictures, pictures.
No a bite by a full grown male GW who means business is not something to anticipate with pleasure - believe me, I know. Just look at the beak to the left.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes my baby girl Freya. They have started calling her Gidget, but my nickname for her was always Chunky Monkey. I can’t wait to see her.
I can't wait either.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My baby girl. She recognized me, but I could tell that there isn't a bond there anymore. I'm no longer her human. It was sad, but also rewarding to know I raised her to be a well-adjusted bird. She was very well behaved during her grooming. When it was done she took off and landed on the floor. She came right to me and I got to hold her for a few minutes before handing her back. It was bitter-sweet seeing her again.

Freya.jpg