• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New additions

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
A local breeder is retiring and we brought her large pair of green wings home yesterday. At first, she suggested we wait until October to move them due to the horrible heat here in Phoenix. I asked her for breeding records and such and her records showed that they tended to breed after being moved so she asked if we could take them as soon as possible. They are loud today, but they are in a different cage, with new sights and sounds. I'm sure they will settle in time. Both have been in and out of the nest box and preening each other. They started eating and drinking right away, so I'm not worried about them being overly stressed from the move. Now if only my cat would be quiet for once.

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats! They're beautiful.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Love those GWS.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The male makes my Natcho look small. I was outside and they could hear my girl inside so they called back to her. I'm glad I don't have them inside, my ears might start bleeding. These two aren't tame n any sense, but I have heard them talking. When I was standing by the cage they were rocking back and forth from being nervous, so I started doing it as well. They started rocking towards each other and when they met their beaks would tap and they made a kissing sound. So funny.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My Jasper is a mini GW at 1100 or less all of the time. Hank was sort of normal at 1250. Now aoortrix has that giant female GW who runs 1350. Have you seen any of these birds babies? Jasper's parents were both huge birds and here she turned out a miniature.

LOLOL GWs are super loud. Hank could break window a block away - thank goodness both of mine were not very noisy. Hank did have to make sure that every one knew that the sun was going down.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Very beautiful birds. Congratulations.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Jasper is a mini GW at 1100 or less all of the time. Hank was sort of normal at 1250. Now aoortrix has that giant female GW who runs 1350. Have you seen any of these birds babies? Jasper's parents were both huge birds and here she turned out a miniature.

LOLOL GWs are super loud. Hank could break window a block away - thank goodness both of mine were not very noisy. Hank did have to make sure that every one knew that the sun was going down.
The breeder said they usually give her 3 large babies each year. One year she pulled the babies at 2 weeks and they double-clutched on her. She pulled at 4 weeks to avoid that. I haven't been able to weigh them. It was 109 yesterday when we moved them. The female was super stressed in the carrier. At one point she just laid on her back and panted. Getting her on a scale would have just made it worse. I'm going to make plans to get them examined by a vet when I can figure out the logistics of it. I'll get a weight on each of them when they get a health check-up.

I was just feeding baby green cheeks so I put Natcho, my pet green wing, on my shoulder while I did it. Where the chicks are is right in front of the window that's next to the cage outside. She kept looking between the chicks and the pair outside. She would make cooing noises at the chicks and very curious noises at the other two. They just stared at her.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Nacho probably thought - Geez those are bad parents

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Our green wings have been home for a week and they have settled in pretty well. There is very little screaming now. We’ve heard a little talking from them. I walked up to the cage and the male said Hello to me. They’ve also made kissing noises. Both of them are in and out of the nest box during the day and the female is very protective of it. Today, the cockatiels are the ones outside being loud.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@BrianB But, but what kind of baby is it.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Thank you
I thought it was ugly enough to be a baby GW, but I don't know much about babies.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Any tips on tempting a mamma macaw out of the nest box? We want to pull the baby but cannot manage to catch both of them out of the nest box at the same time. I'm starting to wonder if the other egg has hatched and she's feeding 2 babies now. Daddy is eating like a pig and is constantly in and out of the box. He usually spent most of the day hanging around the entrance, but she would come out to poop and grab a bite to eat before he started fussing at her to get back in the box. Now she comes out long enough to poop and goes right back in. I have a sheet of plexi ready to cover the nest box hole with once they are both out, but she's not having it.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I spoke too soon. I went out to say good morning to them and they both came right up to the side of the cage. It took just a few seconds to block the entrance off and pull this little one. The second egg didin't hatch, but this little one is fat and well fed. 15 days old today.

Attachments

Maggiebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sally
I spoke too soon. I went out to say good morning to them and they both came right up to the side of the cage. It took just a few seconds to block the entrance off and pull this little one. The second egg didin't hatch, but this little one is fat and well fed. 15 days old today.
That’s adorable!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My goodness, look at the size of that baby. It is huge (unless you are tiny). Are you going to hand feed from now on or allow the parents to have a part in the raising?