• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My new adopted bird just laid an egg please help

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
My cockatoo just laid an egg. She is 7, and I don’t know what to do with it. She doesn’t have a mate. But this past two weeks she has been masturbating. She is doing good and she eats and doesn’t have any health issues. How can I stop her from laying eggs. I don’t pet her below the head. I also don’t touch her very much o Ku to take her to her place stand. ‍. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. This an adopted bird. Thank you

zERo/

Walking the driveway
Avenue Spotlight Award
A few hormone minimizers:

Make sure she gets 12 hours of good quiet and dark sleep.
Limit sugar consumption or overabundance of fatty and protein rich foods in general, I know soy can be a big factor in hormones for some birds, especially if it makes up a large portion of the diet.
You’ve already got correct petting down, good for you!
Don’t let her in any nest like spots so no happy/fuzzy hut, no playing under blankets or things like that.

Also, a vet visit with blood work is always a good idea, since she’s adopted and all, you don’t get to know her full history.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Egg laying is natural. Although we don't like to see them do it frequently, once a year or so I don't think is cause for alarm. Avoid soft mushy foods for now and you can also try frequently rearranging her cage.