• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My GCC is making a weird noise...

Mason and Kiwi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
[Side note: please excuse my legs in the video, I had to record her making the noises while she was on my shoulder!! Just listen to her noises.] Hey, so I just got my green cheek conure, Kiwi, a little over a week ago. We have already bonded pretty well, and I took her to the vet today for a checkup, and let her listen to these sounds, and she says they are because she is content and not because she has any sort of respiratory infection, but I am still a little concerned. She makes them in her cage during bed time, when she sleeps/falling asleep, and when she snuggles into my neck to take a nap. Is she snoring? Is she content? Does anybody else’s conure / parrot of sorts make this sound?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Gosh... hard to tell. Kind of sounds like a little squeaky door instead of the normal beak grinding. Keep an eye on her nostrils for any moist secretions, clear eyes and general physical behavior ( not sitting puffy all the time) Be sure her food is clean, wash water dishes out daily, rinse very well and keep clean water for her. Do you burn candles or any oil diffusers? Use teflon coated pans? Beak grinding is very normal at bed time and or snuggling for a nap.

Mason and Kiwi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Gosh... hard to tell. Kind of sounds like a little squeaky door instead of the normal beak grinding. Keep an eye on her nostrils for any moist secretions, clear eyes and general physical behavior ( not sitting puffy all the time) Be sure her food is clean, wash water dishes out daily, rinse very well and keep clean water for her. Do you burn candles or any oil diffusers? Use teflon coated pans? Beak grinding is very normal at bed time and or snuggling for a nap.
Yeah, it’s not beak grinding. She does grind her beak as well. The vet said her nostrils looked clean as well. I don’t use any scented things burned around her. I change her food daily and I change her water about her water about 2-3 times a day.

Mason and Kiwi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
One last thing I forgot to say. Could it be from dry air? I went to visit because she constantly scratches at her head, and the vet said it’s probably the dryness in my room and the changes of weather because she has no mites or lice whatsoever and she’s in good health. I’ll be getting a humidifier pretty soon, so maybe she’s making the noises because of clogged sinuses and lack of humidity?

Mason and Kiwi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Now that I also notice, sometimes when she makes the sound, she opens her mouth and presses her tongue against the roof of her mouth? It’s a cute squeaker toy noise, but I’m still concerned.

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I have a Vicks Vaporiser and it work well as a low cost humidifier, it's "Hot Water" type so needs cleaned quite often. I got it from me but the birds seem to like a bit of humidity as well. You can also run the shower with the bathroom door open to raise the humidity as well cost it'll show up in the water and power bill.

Mason and Kiwi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I have a Vicks Vaporiser and it work well as a low cost humidifier, it's "Hot Water" type so needs cleaned quite often. I got it from me but the birds seem to like a bit of humidity as well. You can also run the shower with the bathroom door open to raise the humidity as well cost it'll show up in the water and power bill.
I will definitely be buying a water-based humidifier soon. Even if it doesn't pertain to her squeaky noises, I've got to get it to help with her dry skin and itching.

Lesley Yeung

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lesley
First off, you are so kind and caring. If everyone cared so much about others...well; world=better place.

I am no vet. But I do recognize the sound. Bird almost purrs sometimes. Sounds like your little guy. Bird grinds his beak when he is totally chill, but he purrs like your bird is doing when he is happy, but very much awake and active.

Mason and Kiwi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
First off, you are so kind and caring. If everyone cared so much about others...well; world=better place.

I am no vet. But I do recognize the sound. Bird almost purrs sometimes. Sounds like your little guy. Bird grinds his beak when he is totally chill, but he purrs like your bird is doing when he is happy, but very much awake and active.
Thank you!! And also I posted this same thing on another forum for their sicknesses, and someone who has a lot of conures mentioned it may be a sinus yeast infection. The symptoms match up. She is scratching constantly at the side of her head/ears, she yawns when she does it, and she's making those sounds. So I'm probably gonna have to take her for another vet visit pretty soon :cry: