• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Must Rehome My Cag

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do the flying....Its quicker, & less stressful to all involved in the long run & CHEAPER...
I would tend to agree. If everyone was comfortable with it it would definitely be the quickest least stressful transition for Rosita.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
From what I understand - in extreme temperatures there is a moratorium on flying animals. That is the way it was when I flew Charlie Dog home from Florida to Texas. When the temperatures came down (I'm thinking they were in 90's still in September at that time) then the airline would take him. But I do get your point, and I'd rather not take chances, if there is a chance that it would be less stressful on Rosita to go by car. Charlie Dog made it, but he really was worse for wear, as they had a layover in Atlanta. Not good.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
From what I understand - in extreme temperatures there is a moratorium on flying animals. That is the way it was when I flew Charlie Dog home from Florida to Texas. When the temperatures came down (I'm thinking they were in 90's still in September at that time) then the airline would take him. But I do get your point, and I'd rather not take chances, if there is a chance that it would be less stressful on Rosita to go by car. Charlie Dog made it, but he really was worse for wear, as they had a layover in Atlanta. Not good.

It is weather permitting...Depends on the airports. United took good care. It was late November. Tx was fine but they did not go non stop...They stopped in Denver
& its cold there & then San Fransicico ...It was my first time & I was worried alot...They don't leave them in uncontrolled temp areas. You do have to watch for weather but anything can happen on the road too...Car could break down in a snow storm & you would have no heat..

Flying is something to consider but you do have to know it could get put off if the weather or airport got really bad as going up to MI in Nov Dec could confront a storm..

I was not too happy the plane went thru Denver as I did not think it was supposed too...

United was good. They get the animals right off & into the United special area.

Anyway its something to consider...

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
The animals travel in a pressurized heated area; not with the luggage. They are super strict as to flying when tarmac temperatures are within a certain range.
Yes, there have been animals featured in the news headlines who have passed, but it's actually an extremely rare occurance.
Harley, Ziggy, and 5 of our German Shepherds have flown to us over the years. All did great!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I'm not sure myself about doing the airplane thing if the bird is going to go in the cargo hold. I know a few hours doesn't sound like much but if the temps in that area are super cold how long will the bird survive? I'm sure others have had a good experience with this but what about those who haven't and I'm sure there are many. If dogs and cats sometimes don't survive what chance does a little bird have. Then there's grief on both sides, the person who pays and is expecting a great bird but gets nothing and the owner who was just wanting a better life for their once part of the family pet. I hope we can work something out to insure that both of us are happy but mostly Rosita. :)
I'm not 100% either on the airplane thing either. The bird would go in cargo, heated supposedly, but not garanteed. And it's too cold this time of year.
Let's do this, if we can get a caravan of love together, where a group is willing to take the bird a little ways. This would all work. If it was a month or so back, I would of drove the whole way there. My wife and I made the decision to take Rosita. Now comes the part of getting her here.

Last edited:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
The animals travel in a pressurized heated area; not with the luggage. They are super strict as to flying when tarmac temperatures are within a certain range.
Yes, there have been animals featured in the news headlines who have passed, but it's actually an extremely rare occurance.
Harley, Ziggy, and 5 of our German Shepherds have flown to us over the years. All did great!
Oh I wasn't aware of heated compartment. I still worry about the stress flying like that puts on a bird. But as the poster mentioned, he's not too comfortable with flying the bird. And I have to respect that. So that option may be out.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Though if everything works out and you're able to adopt Rosita, we can put up a new thread to help get the transportation hammered out.
My wife said same thing. Back last year about this time, they flew a couple birds up from New Mexico, to detroit. The vets office where she worked was to pick up birds. But Both birds arrived dead. A macaw and IRN. So you can see my concern too.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
My wife said same thing. Back last year about this time, they flew a couple birds up from New Mexico, to detroit. The vets office where she worked was to pick up birds. But Both birds arrived dead. A macaw and IRN. So you can see my concern too.
:omg::faint:...thats not good...do you know what airline???

Well...it was scary but my Rio was a trooper & he made it day before Thanksgiving...I went by us to BurbankAirport to pick him up & he was cozy in the United office...We both went home Blue shuttle!!!

My Rio!!!!

It was chilly that night as we waited for the shuttle so I put my scarf over his carrier..It was an adventure but we were both were glad to have made it...

Rio hanging P1000751.jpg

Last edited:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
:omg::faint:...thats not good...do you know what airline???

Well...it was scary but my Rio was a trooper & he made it day before Thanksgiving...I went by us to BurbankAirport to pick him up & he was cozy in the United office...We both went home Blue shuttle!!!

My Rio!!!!
It was chilly that night as we waited for the shuttle so I put my scarf over his carrier..It was an adventure but we were both were glad to have made it...

View attachment 319453
I do not know what airline actually, I can ask my wife. If I remember right it was United airlines out of Albuquerque, New Mexico, to Detroit. Around this time last year, maybe even end of October, can't recall exactly. I'm not positive, but I think that was the one.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Another option would be to place an ad of sorts seeing if someone traveling from where Rosita is to where you are and who might be willing to take her into the cabin for a fee.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Another option would be to place an ad of sorts seeing if someone traveling from where Rosita is to where you are and who might be willing to take her into the cabin for a fee.
Hmmm, that could work too. Where would a good place to place that kind of ad so you don't get someone that will run off with the bird?

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Would she be able to fly in the cabin in a carrier? I would go in a heartbeat for you, Michael. I'm only an hour from either Lansing airport or Detroit. Dan can watch the girls for one day :heart:

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm not certain. It was a thought that came to mind. Perhaps someone here might have some ideas??

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I'm delighted this is happening. With Michael... you can have absolute peace of mind with your girl Rosita going to a permanent home where she will be cared for with all she could want and need.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Would she be able to fly in the cabin in a carrier? I would go in a heartbeat for you, Michael. I'm only an hour from either Lansing airport or Detroit. Dan can watch the girls for one day :heart:
I don't know if they are allowed in cabin. But a good idea. But as Chris mentioned, some airlines won't fly animals to northern part of the state's this time of year.