• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Moody baby tiel

V3tqueen

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Nicole
Hi! I’m super new to these forums so forgive me if I’m doing something wrong. My 5 week old baby tiel Pepper is doing super well, I’ve had him for about two weeks now and his hand feeding and daily routine is good. He is gaining weight, he got his feathers, and is generally a healthy and active baby. One thing I have noticed however, is that he will randomly “attack” my hand or any object near him at random points of the day. I might be sitting next to him and want to give him a gentle scratch and he will make a weird soft screeching noise and open his beak. I Wouldn’t call it an attack, he has never bitten Me and only gently nibbles on things to see what they are, including my fingers and nails. He just opens his beak and makes a shrilling noise and the entire instance lasts about 3 seconds and he is back to normal and let’s me love on him like nothing happened. Does anyone know why he is behaving this way? I’ve attached a few pictures of him just to have.

Attachments

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
He’s so cute, congratulations! Is it like a rapid fire attack/pecking? Or is it a noise that sounds like static? If the first one your bird is cranky and showing you he doesn’t like something or he is frustrated. If it’s the second, that’s a common baby noise that means he wants comfort or is hungry. A video might clear up any confusion.

V3tqueen

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Nicole
He’s so cute, congratulations! Is it like a rapid fire attack/pecking? Or is it a noise that sounds like static? If the first one your bird is cranky and showing you he doesn’t like something or he is frustrated. If it’s the second, that’s a common baby noise that means he wants comfort or is hungry. A video might clear up any confusion.
Thank you! It is rapid fire pecking, when he begs for food and does the static noise he never attacks, just bobs his head up and down. When the attacks happen, he is calm and silent one second and the next he pecks and seems visibly irritated. I will try to get a video link up, and I’m taking him to the vet today to make sure he doesn’t have anything that could be causing him pain. Thanks for replying!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It sounds like he’s cranky about something then. Maybe you just have a moody little guy, but It’s good your taking him to the vet just to check!

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Mine is always moody if I try to pet her when she’s tired. She gets over it pretty quickly.. but we are bonded well. Maybe the little guy just wants a nap :)