• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Monaco monologues.

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
I am hoping that you are managing. They do know don't they. I did enjoy reading that you were dancing and she was laughing and bobbing. Sounds like she is taking her cues from you. Its obvious you mean everything to her. Your heart strong. Her feathers will grow, time will pass and she will glide. She is worth it, as are you. :ekkief:

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I am hoping that you are managing. They do know don't they. I did enjoy reading that you were dancing and she was laughing and bobbing. Sounds like she is taking her cues from you. Its obvious you mean everything to her. Your heart strong. Her feathers will grow, time will pass and she will glide. She is worth it, as are you. :ekkief:
Thank you for that.

She definitely takes cues... But the trick is authenticity. I can't get anything past her! Sometimes I even explain it to her when she's giving the side eye at my efforts... "you've got to fake it 'til you make it, kid" but she's not impressed with southern logic at all! I know how much she thrives on new things, so I'm just trying to give her as many as I can muster. She is talking to the bottle goat like she did to Theo sometimes. Its a weird flock to be sure. It's pretty remarkable how flexible they can be with that definition.

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
I forgot about your unusual flock. Ruby is as gentle as anything when outside and the wrens pop in with her. She appears to not be bothered which is different to what I have read. Could be that she is well fed and enjoys being in the sun these days. I think they are sometimes more empathetic than we realise. Lots of learning is still needed about them. They are wise old souls. Monaco is at such a good place, she looks happy. She probably watches your antics like she is watching TV and finds your logic very entertaining.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
No doubts whatsoever!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I think she needs a drum set! So cute!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
She is looking so good :)

I love your drumming Monaco! Keep it up!
:parade:

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
You guys jest, but this was definitely about an hour of scare-the-dogs-bite-the-human-and-keep-banging kind of craziness!

The next video catches the bite, and goes on for about 10 minutes! She since climbed her play stand, over to the table to attack the empty back up bowl. They're only safe with safflower seeds in them!

It's been quite an afternoon.

Dorcas George

You guys jest, but this was definitely about an hour of scare-the-dogs-bite-the-human-and-keep-banging kind of craziness!

The next video catches the bite, and goes on for about 10 minutes! She since climbed her play stand, over to the table to attack the empty back up bowl. They're only safe with safflower seeds in them!

It's been quite an afternoon.
Okay, no jesting. Sorry for the stress she caused you, even though she made us grin.
:bighug:

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Okay, no jesting. Sorry for the stress she caused you, even though she made us grin.
:bighug:
Not much stress... She's training it out of me! I was definitely not expecting a bite, though. I finally got the video to upload, it's long, maybe you guys can see something I didn't. I thought she wanted to take it with her foot. It's swollen, but just a solid squeeze, and no broken skin. Just got the knuckle bone in a weird way.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Super short update... I'm pretty exhausted and still adjusting to the new job and schedule. I knew it might be hard for the red queen, so I rearranged her cage into zones before I started about a month ago. I will get a good picture for you guys when I refill the activity zone. A million thanks to @JLcribber for the phone book shredder! It has become the focus of the activity zone, and it bares the brunt of the ire and frustration while providing a natural behavior outlet for her. The replacement is not going to last long, but I can make them in a few minutes and get rid of 3 or 4 newspapers at a time. It seems like the days filled with digging and arranging the "nest" are also very full of checking her foraging zone, having tea time, and in general she's more alert and content. I worried at first that it was too similar to nesting and would result in cage aggression and hormonal behavior. So far it's been very minimal... In fact far better than the days we went without her paper to dig, shred, and rearrange. In fact, when I replaced the shredder I was completely ignored to keep working on the paper project long after I got home from the new job. I caught her using a foot toy to dig through her shreds one day, and it is becoming a favorite thing to do as long as she doesn't drop all of them through the grate!

Here's a tea time picture to tide you over for while... I can put it in a big cup on her cage or a regular mug, but the little cups (hang on ss bowls) get thrown tea and all!
IMG_20200902_225616.jpg

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Great update!
Are those flights on her!? Has the phonebook kept her busy enough to stop her from barbering them?
Sending some strenght your way!
I wish! One is in on the left, and one on the right is close, but I think she got it a few days ago. I saw a wobble, and she was standing on her wing again ready to snip when she lost her balance and I hurried for a chewy distraction. I'm very concerned about her left wing. We're going to go to the vet soon for xrays, and find out if she has any injury or pain. She holds it funny when she uses it to stop from falling, falls, and occasionally after a good flap session. I thought I was seeing a difficulty in settling her feathers, and getting the sharp ones to sit without rubbing her sides, but I'm not sure now that it isn't musculoskeletal in the left wing.

Thank you for your wishes, I hope she let's them grow again too!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I may have confused the right and left, but I am dashing out to work.... The xrays will tell us what is going on, I bet.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Oh! A weird choice for a digging tool, but I just snapped this one for you guys. I guess we can't all be contractors! Anyway, another shredder down! I wish there were more studies about offering natural behaviors and how to do it in a way that won't necessarily encourage hormones. I'm scared of eggs if you can't tell. Anyway... She gave up on this digging tool soon after...smart girl! Maybe she was going for stirrup hoe action?
IMG_20200904_195829.jpg

Oh, and...
This happened today. I don't know the why. I don't know the who. I do know that it took six, yes 6, trips to get the shoes all into the living room and lined up on the couch... Plus one for the purple toy. Uhm... Just, uhm...
IMG_20200904_192816_716.jpg
Edit: The only pair in the living room was left untouched. I uh... Uhm, I just don't understand.

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
What kind of tea do you give her?