• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Monaco monologues.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Am looking forward to hearing all about it! I love a good adventure story!!! Blessings my friend....

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
19-09-06-00546x.jpg

So, this is the photo I got from the ad from Monaco's adoption page, and some of her history. I hope it shows up, I've had trouble posting photos.

Correction to her age, she's 19. Her owner has had to move several times in the last two years, and her mother is very ill and travels a lot to see her. So, a relatively happy one-home situation. She's rehoming to prevent more stress. She's not positive about her hatch date. Maybe she's got a leg band I can look up, we'll see. She chose Halloween for her birthday/gotcha day....two scorpios in the house?

We've been using voxer to communicate and record sounds of the goings on here to hopefully get Monaco familiar with my voice. I can play it for her too when she gets here. She's been really gracious about all of my requests and questions about Monaco.

She will speak in context, sort of, when she's frightened. "What's it, what's it, are you scared? Stop it!" She's flirty with men, but hasn't ever lived with one. Her favorite games are peek a boo and I see you, which she will say repeatedly and try to keep the game going.

I've been warned about a weird sneezing noise she makes when she's upset, and a vindictive mega poop while laughing and laughing when you clean it. Birds may be masters at passive aggression.

That's all for now.

Last edited:

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
There are a lot of "she's" up there. That's confusing. I have been rearranging furniture and cleaning and painting. It's finally cool enough to open the windows, and I'm impressed with this paint, it doesn't smell like anything. I've got about 4 more weeks until she comes here, and my excitement is out of control. I'm trying my best to temper my exuberance when I talk to her owner, because I know she's got to be feeling some heartache that's increasing just like my excitement. I made a vet appointment today to get a wellness check, and I made plans to consult with a behaviorist to deal with my inexperience and Monaco's inevitable grief and disorientation. From what her owner has described she's a remarkably adaptable bird, but she's always had her person through the moves. I've been reading what I can find to boost my ability to recognize and cope with issues, but I'm very glad I've found you guys to help allay my concerns and hopefully answer panicked questions. At the moment I just hope I don't run out of things to distract myself while I wait for her arrival.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Beautiful bird!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Okay, folks, the zero voc paint called simplicity by valspar is really great! It dries really fast, and doesn't smell like anything. I don't know if it's one that has vocs in the tint, but Monaco won't be here for another 3 weeks, so I feel very good about it.

Thanks to @SmallFeather I will have a really great cage to move her to when she's ready! Thank you!!

I had a long chat with her owner today, and learned a lot about her attitude toward life, history and tips to guide my play stand project. Is it strange that she would enjoy jumping into water? The kitchen sink is her favorite bathtub and she gets in shoulder deep water exuberantly.

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Okay, folks, the zero voc paint called simplicity by valspar is really great! It dries really fast, and doesn't smell like anything. I don't know if it's one that has vocs in the tint, but Monaco won't be here for another 3 weeks, so I feel very good about it.

Thanks to @SmallFeather I will have a really great cage to move her to when she's ready! Thank you!!

I had a long chat with her owner today, and learned a lot about her attitude toward life, history and tips to guide my play stand project. Is it strange that she would enjoy jumping into water? The kitchen sink is her favorite bathtub and she gets in shoulder deep water exuberantly.
That sounds super cute! You must most pictures when she arrives :hehe:

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
She's gorgeous! I'm excited for you to get her home too!!!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
@SmallFeather, would you mind posting the photos of the cage and toys here?

Yes, @Yoshi&Raphi I will definitely post photos as soon as I can! The gyms to get her from place to place are getting a little extravagant, but really fun to design.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
My name is Kelly and I am an avianaholic.

This week I spent my entire paycheck on birding my entire home. I realized there was a problem when I made a plan for next month's purchases, and then found that very fulfilling. The following month's plan is already forming in my mind, and I almost bought a jackfruit just to see if it would keep for 21 days.

Thanks for the pictures, small feather! I'm glad I found a place that can accept my addiction and not try to cure me!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Getting so close. 21 day countdown has started...cage arrives next week! I can hardly stand my own skin right now, I'm so excited!

I've got foraging balls and a puzzle in the Amazon cart, a little foraging wall/perch for her cage is in pieces on my shop floor, and enough pvc and vet wrap to make one's head spin. Window perches are next, and I'm seriously some other truly crazy things to get her flightless self from place to place at will.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Awe! How exciting ! Once your little one is home it is crazy how fast the time passes by. Those 21 days of waiting feel like 20 years... then suddenly you have had your bird for 5 years and it feels like they are still so precious and new! My Neptune and Picard have just celebrated their hatch days and I can't believe how fast the time has gone.

Last edited:

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I can't wait! But, this spring clean is taking forever and I've had to parcel the rooms over several days. I'm exhausted! At least I'm distracted (mostly) and getting practice using safe cleaners. I'm pretty sure that just means sore muscles... Who knew cleaning the ceiling takes so many muscles?

And, then John Oliver had eclectus (eclecti?) on his pharmacy segment when I took a break. Hilarious! And I'm pretty sure a pair will now be saying "f=/? you, Michael Bolton."

18 days to go (in 30 minutes) yay!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
View attachment 315905

So, this is the photo I got from the ad from Monaco's adoption page, and some of her history. I hope it shows up, I've had trouble posting photos.

Correction to her age, she's 19. Her owner has had to move several times in the last two years, and her mother is very ill and travels a lot to see her. So, a relatively happy one-home situation. She's rehoming to prevent more stress. She's not positive about her hatch date. Maybe she's got a leg band I can look up, we'll see. She chose Halloween for her birthday/gotcha day....two scorpios in the house?

We've been using voxer to communicate and record sounds of the goings on here to hopefully get Monaco familiar with my voice. I can play it for her too when she gets here. She's been really gracious about all of my requests and questions about Monaco.

She will speak in context, sort of, when she's frightened. "What's it, what's it, are you scared? Stop it!" She's flirty with men, but hasn't ever lived with one. Her favorite games are peek a boo and I see you, which she will say repeatedly and try to keep the game going.

I've been warned about a weird sneezing noise she makes when she's upset, and a vindictive mega poop while laughing and laughing when you clean it. Birds may be masters at passive aggression.

That's all for now.

:faint::omg::heart::heart::heart:Females Ekkies are so beautiful. They can be a bit feisty as compared to males...Sounds liek same situat w my Penny...Her first person had her 18 years & then it became too much when she had to take care of her sick daughters needs that I guess are chronic...So Penny went back to the petshop where she was first bought & then someone named Wendy of if recall had her about a year & for some reason(s) it was not working out. I think they both worked long days/ hours & even weekends so Penny was becoming vocal out of frustration. She can be loud & irritating when she is in the mood but luckily its not very often. Shes just the sweetest smartest funny bird!!!!

Shes 22 & I am 59 so if we both get lucky we will be with each other for as long as possible...

Penny would laugh when I was moving her huge cage & it bumped into something...such a comedian!!!

Congrats...bet you can't wait!!!! I waited maybe 6 weeks before it was decided I was the right person & they were OK to leave her...

I have been in touch with the first owner who was concerned about Penny having a new home but shes happy now with me...

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Yes! Comic, smart and sassy. I hope we have a long time together. I've asked her mom to stay in touch, and she seems willing. I know I will have a lot of questions.

I'm having some memories of my grandmother's conure, Sam. I was so little, so I don't know if it's exaggerated, but I remember how happy he was on her shoulder as she went about chores. I feel pretty blessed to have the opportunity to have her. It's such a privilege to be close to another creature that is so intelligent.

Counting the days.... Impatient as a kid!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I found today during a talk with her owner that she doesn't get out of her cage much and hasn't for a long time. I wonder now if my gyms to give her access to various places will be overwhelming for her.

As long as I keep my expectations in check, things should work out eventually, right?

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
On the bright side I got a report about the voice recordings. She plays them from her phone for Monaco every day, and Monaco runs toward the phone, bends over and listens intently. We're both looking forward to seeing if she recognizes my voice when I get there.