• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Monaco monologues.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I'm seriously considering it. Will it fit in the box with the wall station?
Yes it might fit in the box. Will increase the weight. Add about $20 for shipping.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
So, John's creation came today! I'll get pictures when I get it hung. It may be a while before I can get some with Monaco on it... Depends on how much she wants a piece of cashew, I think. :starshower:

In other news...
A few days ago I came home from errands, opened her door and went about putting things away. I walked back in to see her doing a weird preening thing again. She's been holding her new primaries with her foot - I assumed to comfortably reach the ends since this is a new thing in her life. I thought it looked a little odd this time, but kept going with my tasks. I didn't notice for another 20 minutes or so that she barbered the ends of at least the longest feather... I think both, but I still can't get a good look. I was caught between heartbreak and letting it go so I didn't add to any upset she's been feeling. I see Pam Clark soon, so we'll deep dive into it I bet. That was several days ago, and I caught her really focused on that side again this afternoon. I tried to just distract her, but I am no match for her highness and whatever she sets her mind to...

In still other news...
Yesterday I was surprised by new triplet goat kids, and in and out of both doors getting them settled. I went out the door for about 5 minutes, she was on top of her cage talking about breakfast. I came in to her saying "c'mon" from her perch in the kitchen doorway that's connected to her sleep cage in the bedroom with a boing...
SOMEBIRDY TRAVELED VIA THE FLOOR!! :eek:

In even more news...and the latest breaking news...
I am sick. I had a fever last night at work, and it broke about half way through. I found a dog at the end of my route which was very dark and rainy. She was in the middle of a busy multiple lane street, so I picked her up and took her home since the first call I made went to voicemail. A frantic young woman called me about an hour later, and we made arrangements to get her home tonight at 8. Anyway, no sleep, more kids (but this time only one is looking healthy) from my oldest goat, VeRy angry bird (yes, Monaco, I know you don't like the dog, but she's just visiting) and more preening of those poor primaries, it all has me frazzled. :confused:

The internet is frequently having fainting spells. I only have 1/2 gallon of colostrum in the freezer. My old lady doesn't have much of a bag yet, and SO DID Not look like she was even pregnant...she's 14 soon, and I seriously can't believe she's still cycling. I didn't want to say anything yet, but there's also a canary quarantined in my bathroom (the weird preening started pre-canary, and I haven't seen her get weird when he peeps yet.)

I'm a little overwhelmed today. Here are some pictures I took to keep my mind from thinking that I was just having a very realistic dream.
IMG_20200314_182057156.jpg
IMG_20200314_185911361.jpg
IMG_20200314_190027581.jpg
IMG_20200314_185514023.jpg

A millipede with excellent fashion sense I found today.
IMG_20200314_190453282.jpg

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
@zoo mom , more pictures ^ up there...

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Awwwwwwwwww. They are so cute. Thanks for tagging me.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I hope youre feeling better today @Monaco :hug8:

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I hope youre feeling better today @Monaco :hug8:
Anyone would feel overwhelmed.. It is a lot!
:bluhug:
I hope you're feeling better and that everything works out well for you!
Thank you guys, I do feel better today. Beware the ides of March, though! The goat I expected to kid did so about an hour ago. No more to worry about, so that feels good too.
Maybe monaco's sweet streak will extend to a nap today.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Well... I'm not surprised, really, but Monaco displayed the first (for me) mating behavior. Some sexy time with her window stand. It's no wonder she's been "off" for a couple of days. Very demanding of her sleep cage. I don't like her staying there often because of the nesting and vitriol about the whole area. I'm seriously considering giving the bedroom to Mel the canary and living room to Monaco with no more sleep cage in the bedroom.

Some advice about that change will be welcomed. It might result in the day cage becoming the "nest" and transferring the resource guarding to that space, right? Maybe more or different activities in the bedroom during the day? Rearranging more often? Her last egg was mid October just a few days before she came here. I'm nervous. Surely removing nesting options and just keeping her busy can't prevent eggs and hormones, right?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Well you can't stop mother nature. Once these things begin they have to run their course. We learn to keep our head up and juggle the balls the best we can. It gets easier as the seasons go by. You're in the beginning of this journey. Eggs are not the end of the world and can be managed.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Some things I got recently, but haven't put here yet.

Careful with the video, my voice is very loud if you turn it up enough to hear her voice. She seems to know how to deter recording her monologues. She was answering me with the cutest babbling until I turned the camera on.
http://instagr.am/p/B_lcQ21DIXU/
I finally got a photo of the new foraging cups in use, too.

IMG_20200505_180239199.jpg

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
That was fun. Our Toby took great interest in watching the video of Monaco taking a shower :) We couldn't hear her growls from the video. She seems to want to get wet and clean though.

Toby did a lot of growling on his first showers. He does best with his back to the water flow so he can maneuver around to get himself wet and not to get water up his nares/nostrils. That drove him crazy. I've been putting the stream of water at the end of the stand so he can get in and out as he wants. They go through a learning process I suppose.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
That was fun. Our Toby took great interest in watching the video of Monaco taking a shower :) We couldn't hear her growls from the video. She seems to want to get wet and clean though.

Toby did a lot of growling on his first showers. He does best with his back to the water flow so he can maneuver around to get himself wet and not to get water up his nares/nostrils. That drove him crazy. I've been putting the stream of water at the end of the stand so he can get in and out as he wants. They go through a learning process I suppose.
That's funny! Monaco really likes watching @WallyLoopey 's loopey on Instagram.

I will see if I can get it arranged better. The mist setting is the only one that she's reached for, but it's a lot wider spray. If I hold it below her instead of leave it in the cradle she's less weird about it, but won't let it get her back either way. She's been pretty miserable with this molt, and is visibly frustrated with her water dish... It's amazing how wet she can get even though she doesn't fit at all.

Does Toby growl in his food dish? I hear about it the disapproval of food options sometimes.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
How have I missed this thread?! I love that beautiful red girl - she is gorgeous. Love reading about her homecoming and her backstory - and oh my gosh, the shower video is SO SO cute!
She is just the perfect bird for you, and you are the perfect human for her. I'm so glad she landed with you in your loving care! :heart:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'll watch the video tomorrow.

I can't believe I missed this thread, too.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
How have I missed this thread?! I love that beautiful red girl - she is gorgeous. Love reading about her homecoming and her backstory - and oh my gosh, the shower video is SO SO cute!
She is just the perfect bird for you, and you are the perfect human for her. I'm so glad she landed with you in your loving care! :heart:
That's so sweet of you to say! Her previous owner said something similar, and it melts me every time! I also know how lucky we are that her first home was very good. Despite her being a red monster sometimes, she's got pretty good manners and an incredible knowledge of human training methods!

I'll watch the video tomorrow.

I can't believe I missed this thread, too.
No worries! It's not going anywhere. I feel like I'm on AA all the time, and I miss a lot! I'm going to blame it on my weird sleep schedule.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
MC loved his showers like that, he'd spread his wings so wide......

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Ugh. I really wish I hadn't played that video for Monaco just now. Mr Theo has been gone a few days now, and it's worse than any other dog I've lost. This is definitely the worst week we've had. She definitely knows he's gone. She doesn't call when I open the door anymore. Last night she heard the bell, and said, "nighty night, sweetheart," it's been silent at the door sound all week. It's a very painful reminder every time I open the door. Ironically I really think it would be worse if she called him. The folks that think they are just mimicking just don't know. Certain sounds are for specific things. She has also been using "Sam" differently. Sam was a standard poodle in her first home that she liked and talks about almost daily. She is calling him, "Sam... Sam.... SAM!" increasing intensity. She's only ever said, "where's my Sam?" and "miss my Sam." It seems like she's just giving an indication she knows he's gone when she does that. She's also matching my crying sounds and screaming and saying, "stop it!" a lot. I feel so bad that she doesn't like what's happening. But it is expanding her chance to switch up vocabulary and phrase structure. I guess that's good, right? I don't know. She hasn't wanted to be picked up much, but is antsy and wants to flap and get the energy out. She's let me pick her up for a few flap sessions. She barbered her primaries. All of them. :( I went ahead and cried about those too. I guess I should look forward to the day I can tell you guys that she can at least glide on the way down...she got close. Tonight we had a nice bonding moment and shared a bunch of clicks and raspberry sounds, yes, "momma loves", yes, "you're a good girl" etc. It's storming, so we talked about that, and I couldn't resist the thunder song to lighten the mood. They play that a lot here for the team in the city. I'm still looking for a new job. We got our tiny checks, and it's definitely not sustainable to continue at 2/3ish pay. It's been a rough month.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Ps...

She put herself to bed, but got up about 11, and talked to me. I opened Spotify for some music, and I somehow got thunder to play in the free version... I was singing and dancing like a fool, and she was laughing and bobbing her head and very engaged. It was fun... A real relief for both of us I think.