• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mom won’t feed 17 day old baby

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You want the chick to be 30-35° - preferably warmer at a younger age and slowly lower the temp as the chick feathers out.

So yes, you will need supplemental heat and you need to make sure that the chick doesn't get too warm/dehydrated while also giving the chick an area to cool off if they want to.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
@Monica , you mean Celsius, right?

Birdilove

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Fatemeh
My baby cockatiel turned 12 days old. But her eyes are still not opened. The mom ( she was a first time mom) had two other babies but their all died. The chicks looks healthy, the parents give her lot of food. They love cooked chickpeas, beans, and eggs.
This picture was from day 10, I took it while
She was napping. I read that I could clean the eyes with a Q-tip and sterile water. Do you think that would help? Should I wait till the chick is a little older? Any advice would be appreciated

Attachments

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you sure this chick is 10 days old? I'm not an expert but the chick looks younger than that to me.

Regardless, don't do anything to the chick's eyes. The eyes are still growing and developing, even after hatching. They aren't ready to be exposed to light and air yet. They will open when they're ready.

Birdilove

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Fatemeh
Are you sure this chick is 10 days old? I'm not an expert but the chick looks younger than that to me.

Regardless, don't do anything to the chick's eyes. The eyes are still growing and developing, even after hatching. They aren't ready to be exposed to light and air yet. They will open when they're ready.

Yeah she was 10 at the time. I think she might be stunt. Is there anything I can do to help her survive?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
It sounds like the parents are not doing a good job keeping the babies well fed. I would try to contact a local breeder and see what they say , learn to handfeed and help the parents feed the chick if need be.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Birdilove

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Fatemeh
She turned 15 days old today. She can walk but her legs are far apart. I don’t have a lot of experience with baby cockatiels so I don’t know if this is normal or if I should tape the legs closer together. The parents are very handtamed, so they are the ones still feeding her, and I would like to keep it that way.

im scared that if it’s splayed and I wait too long she will have a hard time walking. The mom had another baby with very Very bad splayed legs (he was 8 days old and we taped it for afew day’s but it died) I’m scared if I do that again she will die too. Please help, I’m so worried about her.

Attachments

Last edited:

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Bump

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
They do look spread a bit far apart. Let me ask you this.. what does the nest box look like on the inside? Do you have at least 2-3 inches thick pine or aspen shavings in the box and if not... what is inside the box. Splay legs are usually caused by a smooth surface where the chick cannot keep the legs under the body. Another cause is a deficient diet and since it's being fed by the parents... what are you feeding your adults ( complete diet list please).