• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mom won’t feed 17 day old baby

Birdilove

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Fatemeh
My cockatiels babies hatched this week. They’re both handtamed and don’t mind me touching the babies. The oldest is 6 days old and his legs were looking really bad. I think I was because the female sat on the oldest in a bad way. I read that the earlier you take care of it the better chance the baby being able to recover. We took the baby and used some tape. It looks ok... we returned the baby back to the nest and the father is keeping him warm. I’m really scared for him, so you think he’ll be ok. What else can I do to help? Any advice ?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Chicks that develop splay legs are almost always in a nest that doesn't have enough "substrate" or nesting materials in the box. You should have at least a 3 inch thick layer of aspen shavings in the box. Other causes are nutritional deficiencies ( what are you providing the parents to eat in detail), the parents sit too tight on the babies, or a skeletal deformity. The sooner you treat it the higher the chance the chick will have to grow properly with uniform leg placement. Take a photo of the inside of the box if you can... just as it is so we can assess it. Take some photos of the baby as well. Also include a complete list of what you feed your adults. You can make a splint to hold the legs together but please pay attention to this daily and do it correctly.

Birdilove

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Fatemeh
I try to give them everything from almonds, walnuts, carrots, green peppers, apples, eggs and egg shells, bread, rice, four different types of seeds as well as chia seeds. They don’t alway eat everything I offer, but I try my best. In the nest I have a towel underneath them. We don’t have anything else, as we live in Afghanistan and other materials are almost impossible to find. Do you think the baby is young enough for it to be fixed.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I try to give them everything from almonds, walnuts, carrots, green peppers, apples, eggs and egg shells, bread, rice, four different types of seeds as well as chia seeds. They don’t alway eat everything I offer, but I try my best. In the nest I have a towel underneath them. We don’t have anything else, as we live in Afghanistan and other materials are almost impossible to find. Do you think the baby is young enough for it to be fixed.
At six days of age you should be able to help guide the legs in to place. It will take a couple of weeks of staying on top of it and making sure the splints made from tape stay in place. Be sure to use a medical tape that isn't too sticky. If the towel you have in the nest box is like a flat surface this is probably the cause of the splay leg because the chick can't grip the surface and it's forcing the legs out. Can you get some wood shavings? Or do you have access to clean paper you can shred and make it at least 3 inches thick? I have to say.... the wood shavings would be the best and proper nest lining. Do not use a cedar wood shaving. Here's a link to see how the legs should be taped. Scroll down to the Treatment of early stages. Are there any pet stores in your city?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I see.. that towel is too flat of a surface. You really need to find some clean quality wood shavings to put in there... at least 3 inches thick. Are you able to order any supplies? This is what you would look for: ( and I understand you may not be able to order from this seller but this is what you need to look for.) I see you are using a hair band to hold the legs together? It's ok for now for a couple of days but you will need to bring the legs in a bit more. Much of the problem can be solved by doing what I've mentioned... get some quality wood shavings.

Reactions: tka

Birdilove

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Fatemeh
Ok I’ll try to find it, and try to use something that can bring the legs closer together. Thank you so much, your answer was very helpful. Im going to try my best to help this little one survive and be healthy

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Please focus on giving the parents food rich in calcium. A calcium deficiency is often the cause of splayed legs. Because you are addressing the problem so early, the chick will likely be normal and healthy.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Please focus on giving the parents food rich in calcium. A calcium deficiency is often the cause of splayed legs. Because you are addressing the problem so early, the chick will likely be normal and healthy.
They did list the foods they're offering to the parents above but also said they don't eat all that is offered. What else would you offer in terms of fresh foods? Ideally, it would be nice if they had access to Calciboost or Calcivet. Their location is in Afghanistan.

@Birdilove you might want to look into ordering the mentioned liquid calcium supplements for your adult birds. If you google these products you'll be able to read about them and find someone who can ship to your country.

Birdilove

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Fatemeh
The birds love chia seeds, almonds and eggs, which have a lot of calcium. I’m gonna try to buy some sesame seeds because I read they have a lot of calcium as well. My parents live in u.s so they might be able to send me some supplements. Thank you for your help.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
The birds love chia seeds, almonds and eggs, which have a lot of calcium. I’m gonna try to buy some sesame seeds because I read they have a lot of calcium as well. My parents live in u.s so they might be able to send me some supplements. Thank you for your help.
Getting the chick off of the flat surface you have it on now will help tremendously. At least 3 inches thick of wood shavings.

Cockatiel at nest box stock photo. Image of sawdust, patch - 44387866

Birdilove

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Fatemeh
I have a pair of cockatiel that had three chick two of them died and I don’t know why. One had splayed legs and was 9 days old, and the other one that died was 6 days old. There is one left that is 9 days old. The room were we have the cockatiel is Around 25 c in temperature
The parents seem to feed the chick but they don’t sit on him. Should I bring him to our room were it’s warmer and hand feed him. Or should we just bring the whole cage In my room so the chick can be warm and the parents can just feed him, if they do. Or should I just leave them alone. Last time I chick he was active and his crop was mostly full but no one was keeping him warm. Please please help I don’t want to loose him too

Last edited:

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
First question, do you have a brooder? This chick is going to need artificial heat if you pull him.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
2nd question, do you have all the materials necessary for hand-feeding?

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
I don’t know if it will work but a heater that’s we put underneath a table that will warm it up and anything untop of it. It will work like a heating pad.
That could work if you can control it. Why don't you set it up and use a thermometer to see if you can get it to the correct temperature?

Birdilove

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Fatemeh
I’ll try to get a thermometer. Our room is pretty warm and that will keep his under warm
That could work if you can control it. Why don't you set it up and use a thermometer to see if you can get it to the correct temperature?
[/QUOTE