• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mojo and Kiki

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Those events are so scary -- I'm glad KiKi is ok.

Even natural materials can be problematic. I had a situation when Marvin was on a sisal rope perch and somehow managed to get a single toe caught under a loop of its stands.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Those events are so scary -- I'm glad KiKi is ok.

Even natural materials can be problematic. I had a situation when Marvin was on a sisal rope perch and somehow managed to get a single toe caught under a loop of its stands.
Cheers

Yeah i am surprised how calm she became once i got hold of her and thankfull the trust i have gained hasnt gone.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I made Kiki a couple of new toys a forraging box from a cereal box, thats ended up on the floor as she bit clean through the paper string ill replace this this with leather tomorrow, and a finger trap ball thing that has gone down a treat.

20210920_115020.jpg 20210920_173601.jpg

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have been pondering on letting Mojo and KiKi out at the same time but really dont know how to tell if the time is right.
When either of them are out at the moment they are generally chilled occasionally Mojo lands on KiKi's cage and occasionally all hell breaks loose when Mojo lands on KiKi's cage on the bars they can be a nightmare to seperate as Mojo latched onto the bars.

If out they could go there seperate ways if need be i would be there to intervene dont know what way to go.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I'd take my cue from them.

If they're aggressive while separated by bars, they'll likely be aggressive without bars.​
If they're generally expressing curiousity towards each other, that's a good sign.​

A friend's pair of GCCs took a couple years to get to the point where they are now, which is allowing preening from the other. One is blind, and therefore more passive, while the other was slightly aggressive. Every dynamic is different.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd take my cue from them.

If they're aggressive while separated by bars, they'll likely be aggressive without bars.​
If they're generally expressing curiousity towards each other, that's a good sign.​

A friend's pair of GCCs took a couple years to get to the point where they are now, which is allowing preening from the other. One is blind, and therefore more passive, while the other was slightly aggressive. Every dynamic is different.
They both do everything together albeit in different cages, if one starts to eat the other does, if one plays on the floor the other does, if one comes out the other wants to come out.
I am not in any rush im not going anywhere just trying to gain a better understanding.

My thoughts about the seperated by bars aggression was very much get of my house Mojo..

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
You have to use your judgment on that and I'd tightly supervise them while out together as we all know how fast things can go south with birds. When we let Pippen out she didn't try to bother Dobby in his cage, and now that we have a house full Dobby does not try to mess with the other birds either through he's curious and got along well with all of Momazons birds and would fly around and play with them. Really depends on the the birds attitude that are involved and size differences is a big factor too. Dobby could destroy Pippen if he caught her.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Weighed Mojo last night 75 grams

20210923_200837.jpg

Still considering giving them some out of cage time together on the whole they have both been well behaved when having there out of cage time this week Mojo still jumps onto KiKi's cage but when i ask her to go back to her own she now does this imediately. KiKi does go onto Mojo's cage on the whole she does just stay on top she did venture down onto the side bars a couple of times tonight Mojo ignored her and she ignored Mojo they got pretty close to each other i was ready to intervene but nothing happened and after a couple of mins she returned to the top of the cage the second time she went down onto the bars she actually ate some pepper that had been put through Mojo's bars as Mojo looked on without a care.

I have got to give both of there cages a weekly deep clean tomorrow will do Mojo first then KiKi they both come out of there cages while i clean them i will see how they are with each other tomorrow depending on the outcome i might give them some out of cage time later in the day and see how things go.

20210923_183804.jpg 20210923_183825.jpg

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Going to give it one more day even though there was no issues between them.
KiKi camped out on Mojos cage if moved she went back but no aggression at all between them.

20210925_134700.jpg

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Today was a big day and i cant say i wasnt nervous but i think it was a big success. 20210926_175921.jpg 20210926_175924.jpg 20210926_175901.jpg

They spent about 30 mins out together most of the time just doing there own thing at about the 30 min mark Mojo went over to KiKi now Mojo seemed very relaxed more curious KiKi bit her beak i imediately intervened and all good no damage done.
I thought best to return them both to there cages at this point.

I was pretty happy with how things went though.
I am happy to introduce them for small periods of time keep up with there out of cage time on there own.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
Just given Kiki her evening chop and sitting with her while she eats my wife is keeping Mojo occupied.
I do feel a little guilty when i sit with one of them and the other is calling me but its not forever.
KiKi is happy to eat with me sitting with her now and has a bit more confidence but its early days still.

Just as Mojo is coming to the end of her moult Kiki starting.

View attachment 390457

View attachment 390458

Just like Mojo she likes to stand on her bowl when eating.

She is a fair bit smaller than Mojo Dave told me yellow sides generally are @FiatLux @webchirp how heavy is Pitchy and your yellowsides webchirp ? Just so i have some indication.
I love this picture he looks like my Lucas he does the same thing and I cannot stop laughing hahahaha so cute

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
KiKi is very much in disgrace :bash:

They where both out again last night all good Mojo started preening her all good then Mojo must have caught a pinnie to hard and world war 3 began.

Sorted them out and all good for the rest of the night sent Mojo back to her cage tried to get KiKi to step up on her perch to put her back and she completely refused so i was up until gone 2am tried every trick in my arsenal until i had to catch her by hand and put her back in her cage :nocomment:

So going to go backwards and do some in cage targetting with her again.

20210928_164738.jpg
Good girl

20210925_133922.jpg
Naughty girl

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m sorry you had a night like that!

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
tried to get KiKi to step up on her perch to put her back and she completely refused so i was up until gone 2am tried every trick in my arsenal until i had to catch her by hand and put her back in her cage
Here's my opinion, and others (who are better trainers than me) may differ -- even the best behaved birds, who have excellent relationships with their human will occasionally refuse to do what you want (i.e. training doesn't make them a compliant robot). I believe it's healthy to allow them to make their own choices, so perhaps this is a result of allowing freewill.

So, how does this manifest with Marvin? We've been together 5 years, she has absolutely no fear of me, comes when called during the day, and flies to me of her own volition just to hang out. That said, our bedtime ritual isn't exactly textbook. When I wind down my day by playing video games, Marvin settles herself on a rope perch by the window. When it's finally time for everyone to go to bed, Marvin rarely steps up. She will gently nip to tell me she doesn't want to, and I'll leave her and do a few more things to keep getting ready for bed. When it's all done, I'll head back to Marvin to try again, and sometimes she will then step up, but usually I gently wrap my hand around her, and pick her up (i.e I use force). She knows the routine, so she rides my finger to her sleep cage without any fuss. This paragraph also applies to Jericho.

Oscar settles himself into the location he spends the night, so it's not an issue with him.

Perhaps I could avoid what I described by putting them to bed earlier, but they appear to enjoy the wind down time before bed. It hasn't negatively impacted our relationship, so our routine remains.

There's a ramble for you.

TL;DR - don't be too hard on yourself and KiKi for what you described.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here's my opinion, and others (who are better trainers than me) may differ -- even the best behaved birds, who have excellent relationships with their human will occasionally refuse to do what you want (i.e. training doesn't make them a compliant robot). I believe it's healthy to allow them to make their own choices, so perhaps this is a result of allowing freewill.

So, how does this manifest with Marvin? We've been together 5 years, she has absolutely no fear of me, comes when called during the day, and flies to me of her own volition just to hang out. That said, our bedtime ritual isn't exactly textbook. When I wind down my day by playing video games, Marvin settles herself on a rope perch by the window. When it's finally time for everyone to go to bed, Marvin rarely steps up. She will gently nip to tell me she doesn't want to, and I'll leave her and do a few more things to keep getting ready for bed. When it's all done, I'll head back to Marvin to try again, and sometimes she will then step up, but usually I gently wrap my hand around her, and pick her up (i.e I use force). She knows the routine, so she rides my finger to her sleep cage without any fuss. This paragraph also applies to Jericho.

Oscar settles himself into the location he spends the night, so it's not an issue with him.

Perhaps I could avoid what I described by putting them to bed earlier, but they appear to enjoy the wind down time before bed. It hasn't negatively impacted our relationship, so our routine remains.

There's a ramble for you.

TL;DR - don't be too hard on yourself and KiKi for what you described.
Cheers for that

To be fair she didnt nip me at all and on the whole has been ok with me today and has come to my hand in her cage for a seed.
Gonna give her a break tonight and go again tomorrow i think she gets a little overwhelmed with things she is still so nervous.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Received a delivery today

20211001_182239.jpg
Topped up on Nutriberries and roudybush maintenance crumble (KiKi will eat this but wont entertain Harrisons ) also thought id give roudybush small pellets a go and for good measure bought a bag of roudybush California maintenance for something a little different.
Ordered some shredding toys two of everything and a few other bits and pieces.

Part of the order was a couple of skewers 20211001_143717.jpg

I threw these together on a quick break from work and they went down ok especially with Mojo.

KiKi has started shredding finger traps like theres no tommorrow so put this together for her.

20211001_192618.jpg

I had removed some yucca chunks from her cage a couple of weeks ago as she showed no interest but when out the other night she noticed Mojo had some and started chewing it through the bars so made her this.
I have to use leather for KiKis toys as she just bites straight through paper string.
20211001_192642.jpg

Mojo got weighed last night come in at 75 grams and KiKi come in at 65 grams.

They are still getting on together most of the time occasionally having to split them up when Mojo is preening and KiKi takes exception to her and gives her a nip sometimes i think KiKi just wants to be left alone. 20210929_201254.jpg 20210929_201320.jpg 20210929_201326.jpg

Going to give both of there cages a deep clean tommorow give all of there toys a good clean and there perches a good scrub.