• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

minky, my ~3 month old lorikeet

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That looks very painful:(. Tobias likes to nibble there as well but he's never broken the skin. I know it's extra painful when it's on the joint though because of the natural constant bending motions that happen.

minkylory

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nel
That looks very painful:(. Tobias likes to nibble there as well but he's never broken the skin. I know it's extra painful when it's on the joint though because of the natural constant bending motions that happen.
minky tends to chew the same spots a lot and even though his bites 99% don't break skin, i guess the constant chewing on the same spot just wears it down a bit. maybe I could get some gloves. the only gloves I have at the moment are pink and he doesn't like them at all

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
minky tends to chew the same spots a lot and even though his bites 99% don't break skin, i guess the constant chewing on the same spot just wears it down a bit. maybe I could get some gloves. the only gloves I have at the moment are pink and he doesn't like them at all
Have you tried to redirect him to a toy when he's chewing like that?

minkylory

Real Name
Nel
Have you tried to redirect him to a toy when he's chewing like that?
yeah, but he likes to chase my hand around lol. I give him stuff like toilet paper rolls and paper to shred which yeah he likes and plays with but seems to really crave human flesh :D :laugh:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
yeah, but he likes to chase my hand around lol. I give him stuff like toilet paper rolls and paper to shred which yeah he likes and plays with but seems to really crave human flesh :D :laugh:
Ah ok course he ignores the toys lol. Maybe put him on a perch or other bird safe area when he's chewing really bad so he learns that unless he's more gentle he has to be away from you.

minkylory

Real Name
Nel
yeah usually I put him back on top of his cage or if I don't let him he gets bored and goes back to his cage himself :p he's stopped trying to lick inside my nose now mostly which is good haha, I suppose it'll just take some time to teach him not to bite.

minkylory

Real Name
Nel
just spent ages removing bark from wood and such. me and my brother are making minky a stand. parents are cutting a lot of the bush so we took the nice pieces of wood and are gonna make it a big play stand type thing. gotta let it dry first though. dripping sweat, won't lie, working in the extreme uv sun while its also 30 degrees w 60% humidity is not nice. I don't go outside much anymore and I'm sure I'm already burnt hahaha :D

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How exciting for Minky! Can't wait to see it once it's all finished.

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
I always enjoy making bird perches! My favorite stand one was using an old automobile steering wheel for the base, tho the branches couldn't extend far because of tipping possibilities. Still have one using an old IV hanger; and an old standing towel holder with a deer antler for the perch part. The variety is really fun to do/ find.

minkylory

Real Name
Nel
I always enjoy making bird perches! My favorite stand one was using an old automobile steering wheel for the base, tho the branches couldn't extend far because of tipping possibilities. Still have one using an old IV hanger; and an old standing towel holder with a deer antler for the perch part. The variety is really fun to do/ find.
ooooh very interesting!! love unique bird perches/stands. always cool to see what people use

minkylory

Real Name
Nel
20220119_134917.jpg here's what I have so far for the stand ^_^ the wood turned out great and feels amazing. I'm not sure if I should try to make a flat base to attach it to or if I should do something else. I'm sure minky will like it either way and it'll be something to climb other than my computer cables hahaha
20220122_210803.jpg minky decided to become a drawing glove hehe.

minkylory

Real Name
Nel
minky has started dancing lately hehe. whenever I give him a blueberry he starts head bobbing and making happy noise

minkylory

Real Name
Nel
does anyone have advice on cleaning large cages T_T minky's cage is like 5ft tall and i struggle with moving it around so idk how ill bring it downstairs T_T also is vinegar and warm water fine? or is dish soap okay?

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I use vinegar and water