• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Meet Luke!

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
He looks like a sweetheart. Congratulations. We also have two boys and our best babysitter is our 70lb German shepherd Kaya. I’ve never had a gentler dog and the boys and her are inseparable. We’re bringing home a GCC next week so I’d love to hear how you, as a highly experienced bird parent, navigate that dynamic. Since I’m inexperienced, we’re only doing out of cage time in a separate room that the dogs can’t go into. Have fun: your boys will be enriched by all these loving animal relationships you’ve created.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
He looks like a sweetheart. Congratulations. We also have two boys and our best babysitter is our 70lb German shepherd Kaya. I’ve never had a gentler dog and the boys and her are inseparable. We’re bringing home a GCC next week so I’d love to hear how you, as a highly experienced bird parent, navigate that dynamic. Since I’m inexperienced, we’re only doing out of cage time in a separate room that the dogs can’t go into. Have fun: your boys will be enriched by all these loving animal relationships you’ve created.
My bird is out at all times only because he is rarely leaves his area. My dog is always beside me; if the bird does fly off, he is positively distracted, then restrained either by a collar hold or directed to his kennel while the bird is ensured to be in a safe and out of reach place. They are never allowed to be on the same level of the house unsupervised.

If I still had my green cheek and quakers,who often flew around, that dynamic would not work as well. I would only allow them out in a room where the dog had no access :) Separation is always, and will always be, the safest course of action.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
You've got some uploading to do! :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations on Luke! :loveshower:He seems so perfect for your family, and I love the photos with him and your boys!:swoon:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
He really is :) I've learned he's very keen to protect us though if someone on our walks tries to approach us; he gets really nervous and then barks quite exuberantly. So we got this bandana for him to try and help him while we teach him most people aren't out to hurt him or us.

PXL_20210521_140914206.jpg

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
He really is :) I've learned he's very keen to protect us though if someone on our walks tries to approach us; he gets really nervous and then barks quite exuberantly. So we got this bandana for him to try and help him while we teach him most people aren't out to hurt him or us.

View attachment 383635
Oh, I've never seen a bandana like that before. Great idea!

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I love that bandana! My pup could sure use one too; I think she's like Luke in this respect. With her I've found it's just a matter of low confidence. As she's gotten older and learned how to deal with every new situation (and that I'm here to handle them if she can't) she's gotten a lot calmer and more self-assured.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What do you think he is??
Kind of looks like a black mouth Cur or a Rhodesian ridgeback... he’s a handsome boy!!
I don't know! My informal guess is Boxer + a "hound" of some type, whether that's a redbone, ridgeback, or cur. When we got him they said boxer/shepherd, but had him listed on their site as boxer/hound so :shrug:

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I wasn't aware of the Embark test, thanks for the heads-up. The thing I learned from doing 23andMe on myself is to keep nature vs nurture in mind for many things. There are few markers that are a guarantee of specific outcomes.

we got this bandana
... off to see if those are available in a 40-tall.