• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Meet Luke!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
:congrats3: :awww::heart::bliss:

He's huge but a gentle giant. Maybe some mastiff or great dane or something big in him.
Looks alone he'll protect the family.
I'll have to rely on looks alone right now, he loves everyone that walks into the house :lol:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I'll have to rely on looks alone right now, he loves everyone that walks into the house :lol:
He's still new & getting used to the family. Good he is pretty docile as you don;t want him attacking strangers but more than likely in the future if someone was threatening he would protect. Anyway don't think anyone would get too close or at least think about it twice with him around.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
He's still new & getting used to the family. Good he is pretty docile as you don;t want him attacking strangers but more than likely in the future if someone was threatening he would protect. Anyway don't think anyone would get too close or at least think about it twice with him around.
Yeah even the difference between yesterday and today as far as how friendly he was with us is super different! He was much more reserved yesterday, today he was a lot more playful. And I finally heard him bark today haha

NightOwls

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Generally it's considered that dogs take about 3 months to really settle into a new home, 3 weeks to show personality, and 3 days to relax.

NightOwls

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
For chewing, have you tried frozen stuffed kong or marrow bone. Or deer antlers?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
For chewing, have you tried frozen stuffed kong or marrow bone. Or deer antlers?
Not yet, I have some stuff on the way from Chewy though :)

Generally it's considered that dogs take about 3 months to really settle into a new home, 3 weeks to show personality, and 3 days to relax.
Good to know! I definitely wasn't expecting him to be totally adjusted anytime soon :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't think he's a chewer. He'll chew on a split antler a bit, and a bully stick, but he doesn't just chew for the heck of it. Loves squeaky toys, ropes, balls, and plushies though! We subscribed to Barkbox which is helping us figure out what he likes :)

He's developed a cough that started Friday; I'm guessing possibly kennel cough. He was vaccinated at the shelter, but I'm not sure if he was vaccinated at the first shelter he was at, or only the 2nd one. Either way, the earliest vet appt I could get was Tuesday so he'll be seen then to see what's going on.

We found out he's got some separation anxiety. Because of the cough we had to leave him home Saturday when we went to my mom's for her birthday. She has a dog and we didn't want him to pass anything on, plus he's still on activity restrictions for another week for his neuter.

Anyways, I have a video camera so I watched him for a bit. We had left him loose to see how he did... He stressed marked on a bunch of stuff and barked a ton. Came home, reassured him, and was able to get him into his crate without much fuss, where he finally was able to calm down after a few minutes. He was so excited when we got home :)

I love this dog so much! :heart:

Also he has a bigger bed but he loves this one I bought for Nikolai a couple years ago as a floor pillow :lol:

PXL_20210418_031323622.jpg PXL_20210415_182238776.jpg PXL_20210415_031616184.jpg

Loves the boys so much :)
PXL_20210414_124111778.jpg

He thinks he's a lapdog :lol:
PXL_20210413_174041402.jpg

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
If he sits he fits! ...and even if he doesn't. :smuggrin:

What a lucky boy to be so loved! (Nikolai was onto something with "Lucky". ;) )

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
If he's coughing, he'll need meds asap so it won't progress into something worse. It's super common, unfortunately, for shelter dogs to get KC. Glad you have an appt set up for Tuesday

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes that was my worry. I called Friday morning hoping for an appt that day, but they had no openings, and they aren't open on weekends sadly. Since he's already on activity restrictions, we are continuing with that and we switched him to a harness for his walks to keep any pressure off his throat. Hopefully he will be on the mend quickly!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Oh lovely! What a beautiful pup.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
He may not be a chewer, but it is a very important behaviour for dogs. It helps with stress, anxiety and it is good for their dental health.

I had a dog that wasn't much of a chewer and we had to get creative and try heaps of toys until we found something she liked. There are also some smells and such they will come to prefer. My picky chewer really like sweet potato flavours, who knew!?

I am sure you will figure out what he likes. :D

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He’s such a sweetheart!!! I love how well he fits right into your family :swoon:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
He may not be a chewer, but it is a very important behaviour for dogs. It helps with stress, anxiety and it is good for their dental health.

I had a dog that wasn't much of a chewer and we had to get creative and try heaps of toys until we found something she liked. There are also some smells and such they will come to prefer. My picky chewer really like sweet potato flavours, who knew!?

I am sure you will figure out what he likes. :D
We're not giving up on the chewing thing yet! :) I'm still wanting to find him an edible chew that he likes but that lasts more then 30 seconds lol

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
We're not giving up on the chewing thing yet! :) I'm still wanting to find him an edible chew that he likes but that lasts more then 30 seconds lol
Good luck :D He looks like a powerful chewer. My Paige, an Amstaff was also a strong chewer :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Good luck :D He looks like a powerful chewer. My Paige, an Amstaff was also a strong chewer :)
He definitely can chew powerfully when he wants to! I tried some "Wolf size" edible Nylabones, and a beef esophagus which was supposed to be "long lasting" (and for the price I paid.....:nocomment:) and both were gone very quickly. :rolleyes: Good thing I love a challenge ;)

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
What about those Himalayan cheese chews? gpbfansmilyf.gif We've never tried them, but I'm curious.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
That's next on my list to try! I joined some dog groups on Facebook and they rave about them
Please let us know how they go! I'm so curious, but we have so many toys & chews that the girls ignore. :rolleyes:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Please let us know how they go! I'm so curious, but we have so many toys & chews that the girls ignore. :rolleyes:
I've heard if they don't like them as a chew you can break them into pieces and they puff up into a crunchy snack? I'm intrigued lol