• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Maybe new cockatoo coming home here!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I would have visit them before deciding anything.
But the bare eyed first because that bird can end up in wrong home again and again and really need the right home.
I have, and yeah the bare eyed is a bit timid, but is not impossible. He can be worked with. There is a person before me that is trying to decide on it, as they have one already. But I like them both. Problem is wife says one!!
Ohhhhhhhhhhh!

Dorcas George

Rollerblading along the road
Oh she’s gorgeous! I have a soft spot for goffins ... get her!!
. @Hawk12237 she is SO gorgeous! Of course, so is the other guy. I’m not chiming in on which to get, but I am looking at Lucy’s eyes and I’m curious—just noticing those rings in the whites. Are cockatoos alone in that, or have I just never noticed? (Old lady budgie mom here.)

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Tell wife she needs one too! She pick one, you take the other! Problem solved. You will even train for her....

:laughing7: :embarassed:
Great idea! Now if I can just turn into a salesman and sell that idea
to her.....it's a give and take. I get a too....She gets a.......oh dear, lol.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
I honestly have considered both...I have seen both. The goffin is sweet, the bare eyed very timid and not liking me or people for that matter. But he can be worked with.
that was my first thought to why not both but i dont know your circumstance either but like birdie mama said why not? If you have the time to dedicate, room, and money go for it if it is within reason.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I honestly have considered both...I have seen both. The goffin is sweet, the bare eyed very timid and not liking me or people for that matter. But he can be worked with.
If you think you have enough patience to take the years for tho Bear Eyed cockatoo to slowly take him out of his shell I would prefer you to take him because otherwise he may not have as good a chance you have the capability to know are we have rehabilitated owls when I was a child I help my mom

Last edited:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
UP DATE:
Well the Goffin Too went south real quick. Here's what happened..... See what you think...

Been in constant contact with owner of too chatting via, video, email and photo's. We began asking questions which were answered a bit wishy washy. The too ' s age is not exactly known. Saying it's just under 2.
Before this owner, the two was with another owner that traded the too to a pet store for a dog. Before that is unknown. The too obviously traveled around a bit being only two.
The current owner claims it was sent to her by cargo. Then claims it was flown to them. Ask where it was flown from, which state, the owner didn't know.
I said well you must have some papers of some sort
on the bird if it was flown. ( ie. Certs, vet papers, airports pick up papers, something) she doesn't have anything. ( red flag # 1) .
So asked what state did it fly from....owner didn't know, Illinois or indiana they said. Ok...what place did they But it from and have it shipped from, breeder pet store?? Owner didn't know...( Red flag #2 ).
The Too's original band was cut off and replaced with a blank one. Odd, but does happen.
Asked when the owner actually got the too, said they didn't know, sometime between June and August.
( seriously?? Can't remember when you got and picked up bird??)....
So asked about vet records...owner stated she doesn't have a vet bird never been to a vet. Which I found odd.
Because, the owner claim when they got the too it was said to be male, she had its wings clipped a little, and had a DNA tests done and discovered it was female.
( where did owner have this done at??)

So my wife and I decided ok, ok, we'll take the too on one condition, that the owner give us a bill of sale
stating they are the owners of this bird, name address and everything, that to their knowledge the bird is not wild caught, and breed in cativity.

From that point the owner refused and basically told us to "F" off....wow I thought..ok fine.
red flags flying all over this.

I went this route because I had people try to sell me a bird before that wasn't theirs to sell....

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
If you think you have enough patience to take the years for tho Bear Eyed cockatoo to slowly take him out of his shell I would prefer you to take him because otherwise he may not have as good a chance you have the capability to know are we have rehabilitated owls when I was a child I help my mom
The bare eyed is becoming an option, however there are two couples ahead of me on that one. And that too has much better records.
But I do have my heart set on a Cag. Maybe even a BFA,
Both which have just become available as of yesterday. A couple adult greys and a few Amazon babies.
So will be arranging to see them.

Last edited:

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Some of that is a bit peculiar. Especially the part about cutting off the band and replacing with a blank. I've never heard of that. The rest of it, well people can be flaky. You can do the DNA sexing yourself with Avian Biotech or a similar company. It only costs $20 if you have the nerve to make your bird bleed a little bit. Still, DNA papers can be lost, lied about, or people forget and then guess when they go to sell the bird. Or people do the sample incorrectly and get contaminated incorrect results.
If you have experience with nervous birds, the bare eyed might be a good choice for you. Personally, I've found frightened parrots to be more difficult that wild hawks. The hawks usually don't have any particular bad experience with humans. The parrot usually has some experience which they perceive (real or not) that humans are a threat. Learned behavior is harder to get rid of than blank slate in my experience.
Ariel had some major fear issues after some medical care and it took years to get over.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
@EkkieLu and I are visiting the rescue in Lansing soon, we can arrange a time to go together too if you want more options.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
UP DATE:
Well the Goffin Too went south real quick. Here's what happened..... See what you think...

Been in constant contact with owner of too chatting via, video, email and photo's. We began asking questions which were answered a bit wishy washy. The too ' s age is not exactly known. Saying it's just under 2.
Before this owner, the two was with another owner that traded the too to a pet store for a dog. Before that is unknown. The too obviously traveled around a bit being only two.
The current owner claims it was sent to her by cargo. Then claims it was flown to them. Ask where it was flown from, which state, the owner didn't know.
on the bird if it was flown. ( ie. Certs, vet papers, airports pick up papers, something) she doesn't have anything. ( red flag # 1) .
So asked what state did it fly from....owner didn't know, Illinois or indiana they said. Ok...what place did they But it from and have it shipped from, breeder pet store?? Owner didn't know...( Red flag #2 ).
The Too's original band was cut off and replaced with a blank one. Odd, but does happen.
Asked when the owner actually got the too, said they didn't know, sometime between June and August.
So asked about vet records...owner stated she doesn't have a vet bird never been to a vet. Which I found odd.
Because, the owner claim when they got the too it was said to be male, she had its wings clipped a little, and had a DNA tests done and discovered it was female.

So my wife and I decided ok, ok, we'll take the too on one condition, that the owner give us a bill of sale
stating they are the owners of this bird, name address and everything, that to their knowledge the bird is not wild caught, and breed in cativity.

From that point the owner refused and basically told us to "F" off....wow I thought..ok fine.

I went this route because I had people try to sell me a bird before that wasn't theirs to sell....

WOW sounds like the CAG I was interested in before I found Tinker.
Whole thing smells like a scammer.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
UP DATE:

At some point did you ever have an actual phone conversation with this owner? Yes. Too many red flags. This person could be a flipper or scammer. Never any reason to remove a band and replace it unless the original identification needs to be removed... in my opinon.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
@EkkieLu and I are visiting the rescue in Lansing soon, we can arrange a time to go together too if you want more options.
That would be great Chealsea! There's a place just north of Lansing I'm in contact with in Alma. The guy has greys and Amazon's... And a few others. A rescue/ takes surrenders, and occasionally breeds.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
At some point did you ever have an actual phone conversation with this owner? Yes. Too many red flags. This person could be a flipper or scammer. Never any reason to remove a band and replace it unless the original identification needs to be removed... in my opinon.
....I thought that too, why replace the band?? The only reason I'm thinking is the bird is stolen and don't want bird traced.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Some of that is a bit peculiar. Especially the part about cutting off the band and replacing with a blank. I've never heard of that. The rest of it, well people can be flaky. You can do the DNA sexing yourself with Avian Biotech or a similar company. It only costs $20 if you have the nerve to make your bird bleed a little bit. Still, DNA papers can be lost, lied about, or people forget and then guess when they go to sell the bird. Or people do the sample incorrectly and get contaminated incorrect results.
If you have experience with nervous birds, the bare eyed might be a good choice for you. Personally, I've found frightened parrots to be more difficult that wild hawks. The hawks usually don't have any particular bad experience with humans. The parrot usually has some experience which they perceive (real or not) that humans are a threat. Learned behavior is harder to get rid of than blank slate in my experience.
Ariel had some major fear issues after some medical care and it took years to get over.
Sure is!!! Yes the cutting off the band and replacing it with a ring was a bit odd. Not much I can do about that bird now.
The bare eyed was gorgeous, but there is a couple a head of me wanting it. And apparently they want it to breed with which I assume they have a female at home.
So not sure I'll get that one either.....
You have a point about frightened learned behavior in parrots vs wild hawks. Yea hawks are not as bad as a nervous and frightened parrots.