• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Maybe new cockatoo coming home here!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
After 1992, it became illegal to import wild caught parrots. My goffin, Elvis is wild caught.
Thanks!! I couldn't remember the year.
This too is only a couple years old, but everything about it spelled wrong and possibly stolen. Which is sad because it's not the Too's fault, and actually had my mind set on that too.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks!! I couldn't remember the year.
This too is only a couple years old, but everything about it spelled wrong and possibly stolen. Which is sad because it's not the Too's fault, and actually had my mind set on that too.
She is too young to be legally wild caught. I'm sorry things didn't work out with her. I wonder if they even have her at all or if it's a complete scam.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would think you are far more likely to find a smuggled amazon than an illegal goffins. Wild caught or not wouldn’t bother me for a cockatoo. However, if things seemed off, you gotta follow your intuition. Sometimes, it’s just not meant to be.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I have an african ringneck.... based on the information I have, she is most likely wild caught... and imported May of 2013.

Besides african ringnecks, I'd agree with @melissasparrots in regards to smuggled species... (not to say mine was smuggled, I'm sure she was legally imported!) something from South America vs Australia.

I get it though... very sketchy situation overall with the 'too. Perhaps one of the local(?) rescues might have that match for you just waiting to be swooped up?

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I have an african ringneck.... based on the information I have, she is most likely wild caught... and imported May of 2013.

Besides african ringnecks, I'd agree with @melissasparrots in regards to smuggled species... (not to say mine was smuggled, I'm sure she was legally imported!) something from South America vs Australia.

I get it though... very sketchy situation overall with the 'too. Perhaps one of the local(?) rescues might have that match for you just waiting to be swooped up?
I don't know guys, I personally would have taken the too, wild or not, but owner seemed to have gotten scared when I started asking questions and I got blew off...
Nothing I can do now.... I tried.

I have been notified today of a baby Blue Front Amazon/ Yellow shoulder hybrid.
Now I don't know much about hybrids and cross breeds. So have to reach out to AA here
On their thoughts. Does it change the over all nature of the bird? I always been told hybrids have shorter life spans.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
On their thoughts. Does it change the over all nature of the bird? I always been told hybrids have shorter life spans.
*MOST* hybrids are actually really healthy birds... and there are probably far more hybrids out there than people realize simply because some similar species have been hybridized and end up with offspring that look like pure species.... or there's the hybrids between subspecies. When we look at the yellow headed amazon complex? I can only imagine what kind of mess that is.... as I'm sure breeders were breeding their amazons with other amazons that had *MORE* yellow to try and achieve a really yellow amazon... and the birds were either not the same species, or they were not the same subspecies...

Since a blue front and a yellow shouldered are likely "closely related", I would say that offspring between the two are likely to be fairly healthy. No different than say, breeding a greenwing macaw to a scarlet, or a sun conure to a nanday conure.

It's when you get into hybrids that the parents aren't as closely related that you see issues.... such as sun conure and green cheek conure... or sun conure and hahns macaw... or rosella x australian ringneck.... probably king parrot x rainbow lorikeet or jardines x african grey? And some other weird hybrids out there!

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with @Monica. The hybrid is likely to be healthy. In my mind the question is more if a breeder of such a bird should be supported. Only you can decide. As a sometimes breeder of amazons, I have a gripe about hybrids that look similar to pure species. It makes it difficult to keep the species as they were originally seen in the wild. Especially since few if any new wild stock is coming into the captive gene pool and the older wild caught birds are starting to loose fertility. Personally, I would not buy a hybrid from a breeder. But, the bird does need a home. Yellow shouldered amazons are known for being a bit sweeter. You might end up with a slightly sweeter than usual amazon. Or it could take after the blue front side. Anything goes for a male. A female would likely be a nice bird.