• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Maybe new cockatoo coming home here!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
....I thought that too, why replace the band?? The only reason I'm thinking is the bird is stolen and don't want bird traced.
Did you have a phone conversation with these people or just email exchanges?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Sure is!!! Yes the cutting off the band and replacing it with a ring was a bit odd. Not much I can do about that bird now.
The bare eyed was gorgeous, but there is a couple a head of me wanting it. And apparently they want it to breed with which I assume they have a female at home.
So not sure I'll get that one either.....
You have a point about frightened learned behavior in parrots vs wild hawks. Yea hawks are not as bad as a nervous and frightened parrots.
If the facility where the bare eyed is kept had an ounce of concern for the lifespan and quality of life for this bird they would only place it in a pet home. Perhaps they are not aware of the thousands of cockatoos in rescues. There certainly is no need to place it in a home or with a breeder to produce more babies..... I don't care how hard this particular species is to come by. The average individual is not prepared for or willing to deal with the potential and actually behaviors that make it challenging for even the most patient caring person.

I would question this Michael, since Poppers was a fairly laid back girl, would an active Too be best in regard to Grayson? You'll not know unless you bring one in how well he'll accept a bird that may be much more vocal and higher activity level. It was just a thought I had.. you know what's a good fit for Grayson.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A breeding situation might not be a terrible thing considering how hard it is to extinguish phobic behavior and the decreased captive population of bare eyed cockatoos. I actually applied to a rescue years ago to get a bare eye with similar phobic issues that my sulfur had. I’d just gotten my own bird over it, learned a lot and thought I’d try to help another cockatoo. Unfortunately the rescue wouldn’t adopt to me since I was also a breeder. Although not of cockatoos. I understand the policy that many rescues have, but I think strict adherence to policy is sometimes not in the bird’s best interest.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Go with your heart...Bare eyed...Corella there are hundreds where my Mom live in Australia...They try to cull them...Every night about 5pm the sky goes white when they return home to the tree a block away that they turn white as snow with there sweetness & there sounds!!!

@iamwhoiam has a bare eyed

Last edited:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry my friend! It sounded like a dozen or so flipping stories I've read on AA over the years. :(

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
UP DATE:
Well the Goffin Too went south real quick. Here's what happened..... See what you think...

Been in constant contact with owner of too chatting via, video, email and photo's. We began asking questions which were answered a bit wishy washy. The too ' s age is not exactly known. Saying it's just under 2.
Before this owner, the two was with another owner that traded the too to a pet store for a dog. Before that is unknown. The too obviously traveled around a bit being only two.
The current owner claims it was sent to her by cargo. Then claims it was flown to them. Ask where it was flown from, which state, the owner didn't know.
I said well you must have some papers of some sort
on the bird if it was flown. ( ie. Certs, vet papers, airports pick up papers, something) she doesn't have anything. ( red flag # 1) .
So asked what state did it fly from....owner didn't know, Illinois or indiana they said. Ok...what place did they But it from and have it shipped from, breeder pet store?? Owner didn't know...( Red flag #2 ).
The Too's original band was cut off and replaced with a blank one. Odd, but does happen.
Asked when the owner actually got the too, said they didn't know, sometime between June and August.
( seriously?? Can't remember when you got and picked up bird??)....
So asked about vet records...owner stated she doesn't have a vet bird never been to a vet. Which I found odd.
Because, the owner claim when they got the too it was said to be male, she had its wings clipped a little, and had a DNA tests done and discovered it was female.
( where did owner have this done at??)

So my wife and I decided ok, ok, we'll take the too on one condition, that the owner give us a bill of sale
stating they are the owners of this bird, name address and everything, that to their knowledge the bird is not wild caught, and breed in cativity.

From that point the owner refused and basically told us to "F" off....wow I thought..ok fine.
red flags flying all over this.

I went this route because I had people try to sell me a bird before that wasn't theirs to sell....
People get insulted easily. I wouldnt of insisted upon the paperwork. But you live and learn. What parrots have paperwork? None of mine do. I have a hawkhead parrot whom I bought from a Petstore who special ordered her from a Florida breeder. I handfed her myself i wouldnt let the pet store do it but I was also suppose to get paperwork included in my 2800.00 purchase and never did. My friend Dave Cape parrot, who's now in my care also came from the same petstore but she was done with her handfeedings when she bought and still the Cape has no paperwork. I guess lesson learned... i dont know what to tell you. Paperwork or not it's still an animal that needs a home. The band part does sound suspicious but if it's not you that gets the bird then somebody else will and im sure they arent going to ask about paperwork. Youre being an upstanding citizen but sometimes you have to be picky about the times you decide to be.

Last edited:

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
People get insulted easily. I wouldnt of insisted upon the paperwork. But you live and learn. What parrots have paperwork? None of mine do. I have a hawkhead parrot whom I bought from a Petstore who special ordered her from a Florida breeder. I handfed her myself i wouldnt let the pet store do it but I was also suppose to get paperwork included in my 2800.00 purchase and never did. My friend Dave Cape parrot, who's now in my care also came from the same petstore but she was done with her handfeedings when she bought and still the Cape has no paperwork. I guess lesson learned... i dont know what to tell you.
The paper work i'm referring to was having the owner state that they are owner of bird, that to their knowledge it's not wild caught. Giving me a receipt for bird with their name and address. A simple simple task.
The fact the bird was flown to the owner, and owner can't recall what airport it came in to. Where it was flown from,
What month they got the bird, why band was cut off and replaced with another one. And the owner had it now for 5 months?? Not like you forget from 5 months back.
Too fishy.....spells stolen bird to me. Maybe you wouldn't get any paper work, but I don't always work like that. I've had people try to sell me a stolen bird before.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
The paper work i'm referring to was having the owner state that they are owner of bird, that to their knowledge it's not wild caught. Giving me a receipt for bird with their name and address. A simple simple task.
The fact the bird was flown to the owner, and owner can't recall what airport it came in to. Where it was flown from,
What month they got the bird, why band was cut off and replaced with another one. And the owner had it now for 5 months?? Not like you forget from 5 months back.
Too fishy.....spells stolen bird to me.
I do agree with you. It doesnt sound right. Probably a flipper or stolen like you said. You should pose as another buyer. Use another email. Get a burner phone and ask all the same questions see if you get the same answers and DONT DO THE VIDEO CHAT lol.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I do agree with you. It doesnt sound right. Probably a flipper or stolen like you said. You should pose as another buyer. Use another email. Get a burner phone and ask all the same questions see if you get the same answers and DONT DO THE VIDEO CHAT lol.
Lol....not a bad idea....But if it's stolen. Then I'm with a stolen bird...

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I did not get much from Penny's person but they had her only about a year. I tracked her history down to her baby days & got in touch with her first owner of 18 years. I have all of pennys' paperwork & report...I even found her clutchmate Hawkeye...

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
I did not get much from Penny's person but they had her only about a year. I tracked her history down to her baby days & got in touch with her first owner of 18 years. I have all of pennys' paperwork & report...I even found her clutchmate Hawkeye...
I love playing detective ️‍♀
You sound like youre quite good at it!!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
That would be interesting....how did you go about it?
With this too, there's absolutely nothing to go on, even the Too's name was changed. Band was cut off and replaced with a different one. No vet records nothing.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I know who the vet was but vet was not helpful as they don;t keep records 18 years... I saw a photo on facebook from a year ago in a pet store... More research & it was her...I tracked down that person & got the first owners info..Alot of just reaching for straws & got lucky...I gpt her dna papers & hatch date. Then thru ore luck I corssed paths with her brothers person. Penny looks like him & was from tht ame pet store in 1997...Final detail the band...numbers are sequential//Hawkeye was the one hatched before her. So can't get any better than that down to the original breeders care list & a calendar with one of Penny;s other siblings...YEAH!!!!

Last edited:

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Changing bands are like license plates, both are changed so the person (s) wont get caught

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Some states require bands I think. Possible reason for rebranding could be owner in one state removed it for safety and another owner in a different state had to put one on. For some reason I’m thinking New Jersey and Colorado require bands. Could be wrong.
Is there a reason you didn’t want wild caught?

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Some states require bands I think. Possible reason for rebranding could be owner in one state removed it for safety and another owner in a different state had to put one on. For some reason I’m thinking New Jersey and Colorado require bands. Could be wrong.
Is there a reason you didn’t want wild caught?
Yea some states I believe do. Just off that band was removed and replaced with a blank one.
I don't mind wild caught. But if I'm not mistaken, it became illegal to import wild caught birds after a certain date or year. I'm not up to speed on details of that.
Then believe it or not there are stolen birds floating around.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Yea some states I believe do. Just off that band was removed and replaced with a blank one.
I don't mind wild caught. But if I'm not mistaken, it became illegal to import wild caught birds after a certain date or year. I'm not up to speed on details of that.
Then believe it or not there are stolen birds floating around.
After 1992, it became illegal to import wild caught parrots. My goffin, Elvis is wild caught.