• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male/Female

waqar

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
waqar
hi guys!i just bought a new rigneck parrot, im not sure about its age or gender and i need any help that i can get regarding its age and gender from the pictures, i highly appreciate it.
regards

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

ZoeyFredrik

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
I think I see an yellow iris and the beak looks fairly mature. If it's an adult, it looks like a female. If it's an older juvie it may still be too soon to tell.

waqar

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
waqar
thankyou so much for taking a look, yeah the yellow iris does point towards its maturity,any idea by what age does the yellow iris appear? because i think its still pretty young because i have adult parrots too and they can hold a fruit by their claws and eat it but this one cant yet

Mitchan

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
thankyou so much for taking a look, yeah the yellow iris does point towards its maturity,any idea by what age does the yellow iris appear? because i think its still pretty young because i have adult parrots too and they can hold a fruit by their claws and eat it but this one cant yet
Their eye color usually gets lighter at around a year of age as far as I know.
Not every bird likes to hold things with their feet! :) My late male IRN would never hold things with his feet, except once in a while he'd rest a piece of food or toy against the perch and hold it down with his toe. He'd never pick anything up and hold in his foot though.
My female IRN also usually doesn't hold or pick up things with her feet, but it does happen. Usually only with toys, not food :)

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
I've never seen my bully use his feet for anything other than movement. In one picture, her leg looks banded, is It? If so, it should have her hatch year. Ask your AV.
Her eyes lighten as she nears sexual maturity. It looks like a sexually- mature female, but that's not saying much.