• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird - confused half-biting

W.D.G Aster

Checking out the neighborhood
We got my fischer's lovebird back in late january-early february, he was three months old at the time. Since we've had him, he's been incredibly aggressive, biting every time a hand or finger got near. He's started to calm down recently, but still bites rather hard. Today, halfway through the day, his biting turned from hard full-force to confused attempts at biting. He's still running around and being as active as usual, still being vocal and playing with his toys. This is the only thing that's changed, and while I don't think he's sick, it would still be good to hear some ideas on what's going on.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
He may be starting to relax. When they're comfy with you, the biting most likely decreases too. I think it's a good sign!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Here is some reading for you: Biting parrots – Pamela Clark, CPBC

He's still running around
Is he clipped?

It is worth remembering, stress, frustration and insecurity can all increase biting behaviour.

Also, what is his cage size? A larger cage with lots of toys, foraging as well as plenty of flight time can do wonders for a bird ;)

Also, if he hasn´t already started, he will be coming in to his first moult around now. Offer more baths to soothe him.

Welcome to the forum :)

Last edited:

Miche04

Real Name
Micheline Lariviere
Is he a hands feeding bird....? If not he is very scared of your hands because he is kind of wild bird not hands feeding. You have to be very very patient and try to give him some millets and talk to him very calmly. He mite be protecting is cage too, so he is gonna bite. Tell me if he was feeded by hands?

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I feel like my Aoife is a perfect example, so I like to tell new lovebird owners about how she was completely untamed and bit me often and was all around afraid of me and after several months and tons of patience, we're good friends. Definitely check out links Zara gave, and maybe think of a strategy to work on your relationship with him. And lovebirds are very active birds, if you don't have toys or don't rotate them often, they get bored. Tell us about his toys and cage setup? Enrichment goes a long long way.

W.D.G Aster

Is he clipped?

It is worth remembering, stress, frustration and insecurity can all increase biting behaviour.

Also, what is his cage size? A larger cage with lots of toys, foraging as well as plenty of flight time can do wonders for a bird ;)

Is he a hands feeding bird....? If not he is very scared of your hands because he is kind of wild bird not hands feeding. You have to be very very patient and try to give him some millets and talk to him very calmly. He mite be protecting is cage too, so he is gonna bite. Tell me if he was feeded by hands?
Tell us about his toys and cage setup?
Zara:
1. Yes, he's clipped, he was clipped by the place we bought him from, and I don't intend to get him re-clipped as he seems so much happier flying around his cage now that his clipped primaries have begun to molt.
2. His cage size is very large. 45" height x 21" width x 21" length, and he's got plenty of toys. We actually started using cat toys, because he enjoys throwing them around.

Miche04:
1. Yes, he's a hand-fed bird from birth. He's certainly not scared of the hands.

Leih:
1. Cage: 45" height x 21" width x 21" length, 1/2" spacing, he's got several perches, a rope spiral to get up and down in the cage (we got it when he still couldn't fly), two tear toys, a couple of bells he enjoys throwing about, and a cat toy that he likes to roll around and toss out of his box. The box itself is a small cardboard box perched at a conjunction between a few perches and attached to the cage so it doesn't fall. We always attach his millet sprays above the box so any spillage goes into the box for him to hunt for later.