• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lost weight

elenorcat

Moving in
Real Name
elenor
Hello! i have a cockatiel who is about 3 months, about 3 days ago i stopped giving her her formula. she was about 81 grams 3 days ago and i just weighed her and she’s 70g. i’m feeling worried about this, should i keep feeding her formula? she’s acting completely normal other than that and i know she eats her food so i don’t understand.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Some weight loss can be expected when they completely wean. But a 12% weight loss is too much, imho. I would ensure lots of soft foods available and perhaps a vet check. I would also offer a comfort feeding at night.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would recommend keeping an eye on her and if she isn't eatingon her own def countinue handfeeding @Britnicorn @Zara

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I don’t know much about cockatiels but that’s a lot of weight to lose in 3 days. Also google says a healthy cockatiel weight is 78-125g...I’d take her to the vet asap

You weaned her slowly right? And let her decide when to stop eating formula? Or did you immediately stop giving her her formula?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
3 days ago i stopped giving her her formula.
Need more info on this please. What was the schedule and how much?

That is a big weight drop, even if you think she was weaned and I would feed the night feed again. 7-8CCs before bed.