• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Losing feathers?

SunnySideUp

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ryleigh
As some of you probably know, I am new to being a bird owner and love my new friend very much. It is a young bird that I've only had for almost two months, so I expect certain things to be tricky. But whenever I use my spritz bottle to bathe it, it tries to fly away and it squaks at me. It picks at its feathers a lot and I can see its skin a lot of the time. Am I bathing it wrong? Is it losing feathers? Or is it simply that since it's young it has yet to grow all of its feathers? I'm a bit worried, and want to know if it's something to even worry about or not.

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
Buddy hates the spray bottle too, a lot of 'tiels don't like spray bottles, maybe because of the noise they make. I'm not sure what you mean by seeing skin. Could you take a picture? Your fid could be molting, or it could be something else.

barry collins

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Barry
If it doesn't like the spray bottle don't do it?
A bowl of water is fine and it can decide if it wants to get wet or not.
I've never understood spray bottles myself? Some birds may like it but I would hate to be sprayed in the face without a choice.
A picture would help to see how your concern about feather loss looks

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
As already mentioned, maybe your bird doesn't like the spray bottle. Try the shower or a shallow pan. If you do use a spray bottle, make sure it is a fine spray, and spray it above your bird so it gently falls down in them like mist or light rain. Please post a picture of the feathers if you can.