• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lord Derby's Parrot, Derbyan Parakeet

dfuselier

Checking out the neighborhood
My Never Mated 8 yr. old female Derbyan is laying eggs. So far, she has laid four at a rate of one every other day. What can I do to safely deal with this situation?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I have no experience with Derbyan but I believe conventional wisdom is to let her keep her eggs; if you remove them she might lay more. Make sure she has access to calcium (cuttlebone). Shorten her "daylight" hours and if you can change things around in her cage a little.

A bird that feels comfortable and safe is more likely to nest and lay because it feels secure (even though you know nothing will come of the eggs). Hopefully, rearranging her cage will throw her off kilter and she'll eventually abandon the eggs. Keep an eye on how many she is laying (though from what you've said it seems fairly normal). If she keeps on laying without any indication of stopping you might want to call your vet (after 5-6 eggs) and get your vet's opinion.