• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for Blue Throat Macaw Breeder/Rescue

Lynnl1222

Moving in
Real Name
Megan
I’m finally am able to get my dream bird. However I’m needing some help on the best way of going about getting one. I wouldn’t mind rescuing but I don’t know of any shelters in my state. All the ones I’ve googled are hours away. I’m not sure if local pet shops could help in locating macaws available or not.
I’m also interested in getting a Blue Throat Macaw. I know they’re a rare species. I assume I would have to put on a waitlist before I could get one. If anyone knows any reputable breeders please let me know. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If I'm not mistaken, blue throats can no longer be sold across state lines due to their CITES status. So you'd have to find one in your state. Where we you located?

Lynnl1222

Moving in
Real Name
Megan
If I'm not mistaken, blue throats can no longer be sold across state lines due to their CITES status. So you'd have to find one in your state. Where we you located?
Oh I did not know that. I’m from Arkansas. Macaw breeders in general are hard to come by here as it is.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't know if they have blue and golds, but here are 2 rescues in your state.

Also, often you can find birds listed for sale on Criagslist. You just have to be careful that it's not a scam.

jzarc17

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jackie
I found this to be true as well!! I recently asked about getting a blue throat from a local bird specialty shop in the Rochester, NY area and they basically said forget it. They too said something about now being able to cross state lines :sad14:

Reactions: Ali

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I found this to be true as well!! I recently asked about getting a blue throat from a local bird specialty shop in the Rochester, NY area and they basically said forget it. They too said something about now being able to cross state lines :sad14:
It's because of the Endangered Species Act. Most places won't risk going against the federal government!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't know if the restrictions on selling CITES protected birds across state lines has been part of the reversal of many of the regulations made during the last administration or not. I guess it would be worth while to find out.

These rules were not "law", but only regulations. This administration has reversed thousands of regulations.

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
I don't know if the restrictions on selling CITES protected birds across state lines has been part of the reversal of many of the regulations made during the last administration or not. I guess it would be worth while to find out.

These rules were not "law", but only regulations. This administration has reversed thousands of regulations.
Now I must research...here goes half the waking hours of this day of my life LOL

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Now I must research...here goes half the waking hours of this day of my life LOL
Better you than me - LOLOLOLOL

I hope they have been reversed - those regulations did absolutely zero for the wild population of parrots and endangered the breeding of some species that are rare.

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
Better you than me - LOLOLOLOL

I hope they have been reversed - those regulations did absolutely zero for the wild population of parrots and endangered the breeding of some species that are rare.
I just did a few really quick searches and I don't see any updated information on the subject. I see posts from AA talking specifically about it and a popular post about it in regards to Chicago. Basically saying you cant buy or sell outside of the state you have residence in. This might be a sign that I need to wave my white flag on digging into this one :confused:

I don't know anything about what would or would not help to increase the number of wild blue throats in the wild but I am guessing that breeding in captivity and then releasing some into the wild to get the numbers back up might help?? No clue, I'm sure its not that simple or it would have been done already. :(

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The way these successful reintroduction programs work is that they breed the first generation, wild caught or pet stock, and then release the chicks. they keep some for replacement stock. In this manner with the infusion of pet birds the genetic poll remains more varied. The breeding stock are not released, because they have become imprinted.

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
The way these successful reintroduction programs work is that they breed the first generation, wild caught or pet stock, and then release the chicks. they keep some for replacement stock. In this manner with the infusion of pet birds the genetic poll remains more varied. The breeding stock are not released, because they have become imprinted.
I think I kind of follow that. Certainly had to look up some terminology and diagrams to follow it :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You could contact either the American Federation of Aviculture or the Avicultural Society of America to see, but I have not heard that the ESA restrictions have been reversed.

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
The blue throated macaw is still illegal to be transported across state lines. However, the status of the golden conure has been updated because they have increased in the wild, so they may now be transported across state lines. Blue throated macaws are extremely endangered (close to 100 left in the wild) so without some good lobbyists I doubt that regulation will change anytime soon.

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
There's only a handful of states with blue throated macaw breeders, and unfortunately I don't know of any in Arkansas. Your best bet is a rescue.

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
Any blue throated breeders still in Missouri? I heard of one, but they shutdown awhile ago.

BTW - Contacted Expandable Habitate for a pair of Stainless Steel cages. Supply issues related to Covid currently have their waiting list at 3.5 months, but they have had zero issues with BTM's dismantling their cages.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Any blue throated breeders still in Missouri? I heard of one, but they shutdown awhile ago.

BTW - Contacted Expandable Habitate for a pair of Stainless Steel cages. Supply issues related to Covid currently have their waiting list at 3.5 months, but they have had zero issues with BTM's dismantling their cages.
This thread is several months old. You would get more views on your question by making a thread of your own.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am not aware of any breeders in your state who are still breeding this species. If I were you I would contact American Federation of Aviculture – Established in 1974 or Avicultural Society of America . They both have members in each state across the country, and are familiar with breeders. Other than that, I would recommend contacting Terry Timberlake, http://terrytimberlake.com/ . She is extremely knowledgeable and most likely knows more breeders of rare species than anyone else in the US.