• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for a Southern Mealy

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I've been bitten by both of my birds. I would have missed wonderful years with my buddy MC.

They bite because we haven't learned how they communicate.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
They randomly scream all day as part of their normal vocalizations. I work nights. I'm asleep for at least 4 hours I'm the middle of the day while my birds are out and active. An occasional loud sound wouldn't be a problem, but the orange wing wouldn't just do it occasionally. They were the first Amazons I looked into after several quizzes matched me.
I will tell you ALL birds make noise. A happy and content bird will not scream. I am working from home, and both of my Amazons are quiet as can be. They are happy, well adjusted birds with lots to do in their cages, both are just chilling out. It is what they do, even take naps.

You should be able to sleep during the day. A happy bird will also make noises and mimick.

A screaming Amazon is cause for alarm of a not so happy bird.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I've been bitten by both of my birds. I would have missed wonderful years with my buddy MC.

They bite because we haven't learned how they communicate.
If you can learn the triggers, then you'd have an idea.

I know for me to get nipped, it's them telling me they are not happy and it's always getting them from being out, comfy and not wanting to step up because they know it's time to go back in their cages.

I know when I am going to get a nip telling me they are unhappy.

And shoulders, sometimes they are trusted, mostly the rule of thumb here. Don't give or ask them for kisses, you are asking for it!

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
The first time I need stitches, is the last time I get close enough for it to happen. The bird would need to be re-homed that same day, unless I find one of those cages with the food cups built in on that revolving door.
This is... worrisome. Even the most patient, gentle bird in the world will bite if frightened, angry, or frustrated, and large birds make large wounds. If that's a dealbreaker for you, you may want to consider getting a smaller bird that can't do serious damage. Even then, you should be prepared to endure a few bites as you build your relationship. No owner/bird pair is perfectly in sync from day one.

I got my quaker because he was biting the heck out of his previous family and ended up confined to his cage as a result. If I'd given up after the first (several dozen) bad bites, I'd have missed out on a wonderful little companion. These days he head-butts my hand instead of chomping it, and he trims my hair instead of ripping it out by the roots, but it took a LOT of work, and a fair amount of blood, to reach this point. Even my TAG, who's generally as sweet as pie, nailed me a few times before I learned to read her cues.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I give you Ladies props with your YNA's during their hormonal times! Do you think other birds have anything to do with this crazy behavior?
Henry does share the same space as Lola but there is a floor divider to keep him from wandering over to her cage. The few times he has gotten to her cage they were in proximity of each other on the top.. sort of like a stand off. He's much bigger than Lola and could really hurt her if he wanted to. I'm not willing to take that chance by leaving him with her. His body language is quite clear when he's on her cage.... he's afraid she'll bite him. And she would have no problem doing so. I have to use a perch to guide him down off her cage and back to the floor where he'll walk back to his cage and while I'm in that process he's pretty concerned about where she is. There have been times she has flown over to his cage ( I didn't see her do it ... just happened to walk in and see her on his cage). He sits as far back from her with maniken pose, feathers pressed flat and wants no interaction with her even though she's in his domain. People with single amazons still go through these hormonal times. I certainly couldn't rule out having a female in the same space has a fraction of hormonal behavior. Currently, Lola still wants scritches, there are some times now where she flattens out and clucks which is total mating behavior and I stop immediately from touching her head. If she doesn't floof her head feathers forward while scritching I quit. Only when it's an appreciative head scritch as in closed eyes head feathers forward do I continue because it's more of a preening session without any hormonal behavior. When I do quit because of a more hormonal response from her she gets a little angry and will try to grab at me ( as in a bite)... she ain't happy with me as a partner! Sorry Lola.... no stroking!!!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
The first time I need stitches, is the last time I get close enough for it to happen. The bird would need to be re-homed that same day, unless I find one of those cages with the food cups built in on that revolving door.
Sadie, the yelled-front from my OP, HATED her owner's wife, and would bait the woman with a fake nice act just to get close enough to bite her. She sent that woman to the hospital 3 times with serious gushing wounds that needed stitches, and indeed left horrific scars. Her mouth is permanently disfigured. But I don't cheat on my husband, so maybe I'm safe?
Any bird has the potential to bite. We have members that are bitten by many different species of birds right down to the little parrolet, budgies, tiels, conures, you name it. The bigger the bird the bigger the bite. I've been bitten by every one of my birds. It happens.... mostly due to the owners fault for not reading the signals or respecting their space. Their hormones are no fault of their own. It takes time to learn how to manage them when the crazy times hit, they still deserve a good home with the utmost respect.

You already know in advance you would either lock up or re-home a bird if it bit you badly just once. My best advice would be to not bring one home. They are sensitive beings, more so than people understand, and putting any bird through an environmental change.. subjected to all new people and surroundings is very stressful for them... and then to have to go through that multiple times is so unfair to them. This is the total sad truth about thousands and thousands of birds all over the world having to be given up multiple times in their long life. You don't even want to see the horrors far too many of them have endured because they either screamed or bit. Stick with your conures.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If you have a pet parrot, you WILL be bitten at some point. It's only a matter of when. My Amazon seems to have come out of her hormonal phase. However, I am careful to use a t-stick to transport her. She lets me pet her cheeks, beak, and head through the bars. Morgan has not struck at me in several months.

I think female amazons are excellent companions and are unappreciated. Their body language is clear, so you can avoid the majority of the bites. Morgan has only nailed me a few times in 25 years. Twice, when she was warning me away from my ex-SIL, and once last spring when her hormones flared. I had not noticed changes in her behavior up to that point. As others have said, some Amazons are more mild than others, GENERALLY. I recommend a female of one of the smaller species, the mealy, or the Panama.

However, based on what you posted, I think an Amazon may be too much bird for you.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Speaking of tiny bites: budgie beaks can’t do much damage but they’re a nasty pinch
I can tell you the watering eyes and sting you get when it feels like they have hit a bone with their pointed beak, been there one time and still have a scar from years ago!

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Speaking of tiny bites:
Any bird has the potential to bite. We have members that are bitten by many different species of birds right down to the little parrolet, budgies, tiels, conures, you name it. The bigger the bird the bigger the bite. I've been bitten by every one of my birds. It happens....
All of my birds are little and only two have ever really bitten me (a bite meaning, broken skin and drawn blood), one was Aldora and the other Adelie. One was found on my doorstep, no idea where she came from or her upbringing, she is unsure of hands and is not ¨tame¨... the other hatched in my home and I raised her from 5 days old, and handfed her for almost 6 months, we have an incredible bond.
Two birds from two opposite ends of the spectrum. Food for thought.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I give you Ladies props with your YNA's during their hormonal times! Do you think other birds have anything to do with this crazy behavior?
I think the behavior is exacerbated by the presence of a female. But I don't think it would necessarily be easy with just a male. The late president of the Amazona Society (can't remember her name) had all males and coined the phrase Hot 3. I remember reading an article from her that all her boys were horrible when 8 years old and seasonal after that. I was expecting it and with Gremlin, it happened literally just like the article said. Just when I was starting to think these males weren't that bad without a mate, wham, I'm bleeding.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have green cheek conures
Americans know them as Mexican Red Headed Amazons. I've seen the old time breeders and members of the international parrot community get a little snarky about the name. Apparently in most of the work they are called green cheeked amazons. A very different animal than a green cheek conure.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I can tell you the watering eyes and sting you get when it feels like they have hit a bone with their pointed beak, been there one time and still have a scar from years ago!
Not too long ago Astro ( GCC female) bit me on my nostril. She hatched here, I hand fed her.... she's twelve years old now and has never once offered to bite... until that day I put my nose up for a kiss like always. DANG THAT HURT!!!! Talk about watering eyes! Lower beak inside the nostril, upper beak on the outside.. did leave a mark... didn't bleed much. Probably not as bad as getting your nose pierced but undesirable nonetheless..

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My take from this is that females are the better option during hormonal periods? I've been recommended a male bird for exactly this reason, that females have more frequent hormonal periods and harder to maintain because of it.
There are exceptions. I've found that female amazons get sweeter toward their favorite person during hormonal periods. They flutter and solicit sex but also generally want to hang out with you more and get scratched during those times. The trade off is that you have potential egg laying issues and that scares some people. Female amazons are not known for having compulsive laying issues, but we have had a couple on this board that have. Males go completely the other direction and become territorial and aggressive. Some individual females can be aggressive and some people that live with a human family will find that females will show the same behavior as males toward the less favored humans. So, even females of the hot 3 are not to be underestimated. Those smaller amazons species and mealys have fewer issues with all of that.
Regarding getting stitches. If you feel the need to make major declarative statements about rehoming your bird if you need stitches, probably don't get a bird bigger than a conure. Every single one of the larger parrot species is capable of it. I've never personally needed stitches. My worst bite happened when I was trying to trim my favorite amazons toenails by myself. I bled so bad, I couldn't hold onto the clippers. I was cleaning her cage about 10 days later, wiping down the bars and briefly wondered why I was getting all this rust on the paper towel. Well, that was just my dried blood that I forgot about. I had it all over the floor, my shirt, my couch, the bird. I had to skip my martial arts class the next day because it was still seeping. Her dad got me once just a little. He just snagged a tiny bit of skin when I was changing bowls but it ripped down my finger. Bled to the point of dripping down my elbow. Require a gauze bandage to soak up the bleeding and I had to be careful of it for several days. Those are my worst two. Although, my mostly very sweet cockatoo got me in the nose when I went to give her a last minute snuggle before going on vacation. The bite itself wasn't much and didn't even bleed, but did leave a very small straight line scar. My hyacinth either broke my finger or snapped off some cartilage once and that finger has been on and off not right for years since. I tend not to go to the doctor for small stuff. Other people would go for some of the bites I've had. People that can't handle a bite, should not get big birds. Even if you do everything right, the best bird will get you at some point in your life together. It'll happen more often and more severely if you tempt fate and get certain male amazon or cockatoo species.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
There are exceptions. I've found that female amazons get sweeter toward their favorite person during hormonal periods. They flutter and solicit sex but also generally want to hang out with you more and get scratched during those times. The trade off is that you have potential egg laying issues and that scares some people. Female amazons are not known for having compulsive laying issues, but we have had a couple on this board that have. Males go completely the other direction and become territorial and aggressive. Some individual females can be aggressive and some people that live with a human family will find that females will show the same behavior as males toward the less favored humans. So, even females of the hot 3 are not to be underestimated. Those smaller amazons species and mealys have fewer issues with all of that.
Regarding getting stitches. If you feel the need to make major declarative statements about rehoming your bird if you need stitches, probably don't get a bird bigger than a conure. Every single one of the larger parrot species is capable of it. I've never personally needed stitches. My worst bite happened when I was trying to trim my favorite amazons toenails by myself. I bled so bad, I couldn't hold onto the clippers. I was cleaning her cage about 10 days later, wiping down the bars and briefly wondered why I was getting all this rust on the paper towel. Well, that was just my dried blood that I forgot about. I had it all over the floor, my shirt, my couch, the bird. I had to skip my martial arts class the next day because it was still seeping. Her dad got me once just a little. He just snagged a tiny bit of skin when I was changing bowls but it ripped down my finger. Bled to the point of dripping down my elbow. Require a gauze bandage to soak up the bleeding and I had to be careful of it for several days. Those are my worst two. Although, my mostly very sweet cockatoo got me in the nose when I went to give her a last minute snuggle before going on vacation. The bite itself wasn't much and didn't even bleed, but did leave a very small straight line scar. My hyacinth either broke my finger or snapped off some cartilage once and that finger has been on and off not right for years since. I tend not to go to the doctor for small stuff. Other people would go for some of the bites I've had. People that can't handle a bite, should not get big birds. Even if you do everything right, the best bird will get you at some point in your life together. It'll happen more often and more severely if you tempt fate and get certain male amazon or cockatoo species.
I think she did say she has conures. Would love to see some photos of them.

@melissasparrots You are tough as nails ( and an amazon in a previous life :D ) ..... me... when I get nervous I can smell like one.. and not the sweet aroma kind..

keirieski17

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
My two worst bites were both 2s— an umbrella and a sulfur-crested. Sulfur crested was chasing my feet and left a nasty hole in my ankle. The umbrella was supposed to be one of our nicest birds, cool with everyone, I had even pet her before. That day for some reason she had it out for me, flew on the back of my neck and bit down and left a nasty scar on my hand when I tried to get her off. Big birds are no joke. The sulfur was known for being nasty so I wasn’t surprised there and he doesn’t scare me, but I tend to avoid the umbrella just because it was so unexpected and I don’t know what triggered it.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If she doesn't floof her head feathers forward while scritching I quit. Only when it's an appreciative head scritch as in closed eyes head feathers forward do I continue because it's more of a preening session without any hormonal behavior. When I do quit because of a more hormonal response from her she gets a little angry and will try to grab at me ( as in a bite)... she ain't happy with me as a partner! Sorry Lola.... no stroking!!!
That is what I see from my females too. Diva will sometimes bite after I stop scratching her. She gets so into having her nares rubbed sometimes that when I stop she's over stimulated and bites. I know its coming, so I just wobble my hand to disrupt her balance and put her down. 10 seconds later, she can step up again and be fine. Of course, if my dog is close by (as he always is) that bite or attempted bite might be a little more serious. I rarely get bit (what I consider a bite), but since the subject came up, a prospective owner needs to know it happens. I suspect long time hot 3 amazon owners have a different definition of what hurts that others. One of my baby amazons reached down and gave my mom a playful chomp a few years ago. No bleeding or bruising but she said she could still feel it 30 minutes later. I saw it happen and to me that is a normal part of life sometimes with a parrot and I forget it happened immediately. For the uninitiated, they can be hyper aware of the discomfort. In the course of a day, I get minor chomps that can be kind of painful I suppose. I also prevent many more bites from happening. The intention and opportunity was there, but I know the bird and didn't give them a chance.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My two worst bites were both 2s— an umbrella and a sulfur-crested. Sulfur crested was chasing my feet and left a nasty hole in my ankle. The umbrella was supposed to be one of our nicest birds, cool with everyone, I had even pet her before. That day for some reason she had it out for me, flew on the back of my neck and bit down and left a nasty scar on my hand when I tried to get her off. Big birds are no joke. The sulfur was known for being nasty so I wasn’t surprised there and he doesn’t scare me, but I tend to avoid the umbrella just because it was so unexpected and I don’t know what triggered it.
It is worth noting that cockatoos are simultaneously known for being the sweetest parrots and having the worst bite. Male umbrellas and moluccans are notorious for having polar opposite days where they go from sweet cotton candy snuggle fluffs to the worst bite you've ever had in a fraction of a second. Or going on a completely over stimulated tirade over being allowed on the floor or the back of a couch, pacing back and forth with crest up and chasing whatever poor animal or human comes within range. The only time I've had a bad bite from a cockatoo was shortly after I got Ariel and she got tangled in a rope perch that unraveled. I had to cut her out while she as panicking and I had punctures all over me. Of course she was forgiven. We were both scared and she was sorry. Otherwise, I've had her for 18 or so years now and just that one minor bite to the nose that if it had happened on any other body part would not have left a scar. Faces are just weird. That bite seeped just enough to scab and that did it. I don't think she even meant it aggressively. But, cockatoos are well know for specifically targeting the face. Amazons just want whatever body part they can reach first. My goffin's went through a face grabbing phase a few months after I got him. But that has since smoothed over.