• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for a Southern Mealy

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
That is what I see from my females too. Diva will sometimes bite after I stop scratching her. She gets so into having her nares rubbed sometimes that when I stop she's over stimulated and bites. I know its coming, so I just wobble my hand to disrupt her balance and put her down. 10 seconds later, she can step up again and be fine. Of course, if my dog is close by (as he always is) that bite or attempted bite might be a little more serious. I rarely get bit (what I consider a bite), but since the subject came up, a prospective owner needs to know it happens. I suspect long time hot 3 amazon owners have a different definition of what hurts that others. One of my baby amazons reached down and gave my mom a playful chomp a few years ago. No bleeding or bruising but she said she could still feel it 30 minutes later. I saw it happen and to me that is a normal part of life sometimes with a parrot and I forget it happened immediately. For the uninitiated, they can be hyper aware of the discomfort. In the course of a day, I get minor chomps that can be kind of painful I suppose. I also prevent many more bites from happening. The intention and opportunity was there, but I know the bird and didn't give them a chance.
Do your females start to cluck as well? Not as in a 'chicken cluck'. Vocals are tough to describe though I do know it's invitational mating clucking. She will do this when she leans forward and flattens her back out with her feathers pressed tight. At other times she has another 'calling' vocalization. I don't see Henry react to it at all. He's not driven at all to visit her ( aren't I lucky). I don't know if female napes may have that same vocal, if they do it's probably very similar. I would describe Lola as being in her sweeter mode, inviting head scratches, enjoying them when it's not hormone related. Yet still, a minute after that I walk past her and she'll lurch to bite. I take that as 'I will because I can... you're in my space and I don't like you walking past me right now'. She definitely has her Piffy moments, lunge to bite when I close her door at night, lunge at a hand held perch when she doesn't want to step up in certain moment yet will step up willingly and politely other times. I do not hand her a treat very often, it goes in her cup. That was one bite I learned to not hand over small items. To this day, neither one like to be handed a treat and will always drop it instead. Maybe because I'm looking at them when I do.. I'm not going to avert my eyes and put treat in front of that beak. I can hand over a sugar snap pea to Henry ( Lola isn't interested in them), he loves them. He gladly accepts those white cookie pop sticks because he loves to shred them.. He likes one inch square wood blocks and 2 inch cut ( 1 inch thick) poplar dowels... he will not accept a 6 inch long piece. He might take it but he will drop it and give me the pin eye. Any other object is out of the question. He's not curious about new stuff... he's furious about it. I put those on the floor for him to attack and kill. Some things the big green goober is terrified of. I have to agree with your mom... a chomp can hurt up to three hours! One time Henry got my pointing finger on my right hand and pierced it. Bled a ton. He didn't let go either. Thank goodness he was in his cage. I had no feeling in that finger for more than two months and lucky it finally came back. That was a very painful bite.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do your females start to cluck as well? Not as in a 'chicken cluck'. Vocals are tough to describe though I do know it's invitational mating clucking. She will do this when she leans forward and flattens her back out with her feathers pressed tight. At other times she has another 'calling' vocalization. I don't see Henry react to it at all. He's not driven at all to visit her ( aren't I lucky). I don't know if female napes may have that same vocal, if they do it's probably very similar. I would describe Lola as being in her sweeter mode, inviting head scratches, enjoying them when it's not hormone related. Yet still, a minute after that I walk past her and she'll lurch to bite. I take that as 'I will because I can... you're in my space and I don't like you walking past me right now'. She definitely has her Piffy moments, lunge to bite when I close her door at night, lunge at a hand held perch when she doesn't want to step up in certain moment yet will step up willingly and politely other times. I do not hand her a treat very often, it goes in her cup. That was one bite I learned to not hand over small items. To this day, neither one like to be handed a treat and will always drop it instead. Maybe because I'm looking at them when I do.. I'm not going to avert my eyes and put treat in front of that beak. I can hand over a sugar snap pea to Henry ( Lola isn't interested in them), he loves them. He gladly accepts those white cookie pop sticks because he loves to shred them.. He likes one inch square wood blocks and 2 inch cut ( 1 inch thick) poplar dowels... he will not accept a 6 inch long piece. He might take it but he will drop it and give me the pin eye. Any other object is out of the question. He's not curious about new stuff... he's furious about it. I put those on the floor for him to attack and kill. Some things the big green goober is terrified of. I have to agree with your mom... a chomp can hurt up to three hours! One time Henry got my pointing finger on my right hand and pierced it. Bled a ton. He didn't let go either. Thank goodness he was in his cage. I had no feeling in that finger for more than two months and lucky it finally came back. That was a very painful bite.
I think the clucking is fairly universal in amazons. My males do it too, but I'm not convinced its hormonal. Its more of a happy noise and they do it even as young birds. Although, it may also be hormonal. Yes, my females flatten their back, flutter their wings and do a clucking type noise.
I can hand most of my amazons a treat when they are caged. When out of the cage, Oscar will attack me on sight. Gremlin I can usually hand anything to, but during hormonal periods, I watch him carefully to make sure he's going to be nice. My females I never give a second thought to handing them toys or treats. I have one male that is on the nervous side. Something scary happened several years ago while I was putting him back in the cage and he associated it with me. He's getting over it, but its a slow process. He will now take treats from me in exchange for a step up. For a long time he'd just drop treats.

keirieski17

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
It is worth noting that cockatoos are simultaneously known for being the sweetest parrots and having the worst bite. Male umbrellas and moluccans are notorious for having polar opposite days where they go from sweet cotton candy snuggle fluffs to the worst bite you've ever had in a fraction of a second. Or going on a completely over stimulated tirade over being allowed on the floor or the back of a couch, pacing back and forth with crest up and chasing whatever poor animal or human comes within range. The only time I've had a bad bite from a cockatoo was shortly after I got Ariel and she got tangled in a rope perch that unraveled. I had to cut her out while she as panicking and I had punctures all over me. Of course she was forgiven. We were both scared and she was sorry. Otherwise, I've had her for 18 or so years now and just that one minor bite to the nose that if it had happened on any other body part would not have left a scar. Faces are just weird. That bite seeped just enough to scab and that did it. I don't think she even meant it aggressively. But, cockatoos are well know for specifically targeting the face. Amazons just want whatever body part they can reach first. My goffin's went through a face grabbing phase a few months after I got him. But that has since smoothed over.
I didn’t even mention the Galah bite under the eye that gave me a black eye... or the same Galah leaving a perfect beak print in my lip... or breaking the cartilage in my ear.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I didn’t even mention the Galah bite under the eye that gave me a black eye... or the same Galah leaving a perfect beak print in my lip... or breaking the cartilage in my ear.
I used to know a lady who's blue fronted amazon gave her a black eye. Apparently she leaned over too close to pick something up and the bird that never bit, got her that one time in the corner of the eye and then gravity settled the blood under it. The bite itself didn't seem that bad. Typical smiley faced amazon bite along the edge of the brow.
@keirieski17 I think you've known some mean cockatoos. I've said before that I lucked out in the cockatoo department. Mine just don't tend to really give it their all when biting. But, I also have a healthy respect for what they are capable of, and if I see something that looks like aggression, I take note and try to avoid that situation again so we don't have repeated behavior patterns. Its fun to compare bite stories, but really, for the number of birds I have and that I've had large parrots in my adult life since January 2002 and was around cockatoos and smaller birds as a child, I dont' think I've had that many bad bites. But then again, I haven't gotten a sun tan yetThat's when all those smiley face amazon bites around my thumb joint show up. I have a few there that are from Elle and the younger brat version of Sprout getting mad because of the dog or another female amazon.

keirieski17

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
I used to know a lady who's blue fronted amazon gave her a black eye. Apparently she leaned over too close to pick something up and the bird that never bit, got her that one time in the corner of the eye and then gravity settled the blood under it. The bite itself didn't seem that bad. Typical smiley faced amazon bite along the edge of the brow.
@keirieski17 I think you've known some mean cockatoos. I've said before that I lucked out in the cockatoo department. Mine just don't tend to really give it their all when biting. But, I also have a healthy respect for what they are capable of, and if I see something that looks like aggression, I take note and try to avoid that situation again so we don't have repeated behavior patterns. Its fun to compare bite stories, but really, for the number of birds I have and that I've had large parrots in my adult life since January 2002 and was around cockatoos and smaller birds as a child, I dont' think I've had that many bad bites. But then again, I haven't gotten a sun tan yetThat's when all those smiley face amazon bites around my thumb joint show up. I have a few there that are from Elle and the younger brat version of Sprout getting mad because of the dog or another female amazon.
Yeah I volunteer at a parrot sanctuary so I don’t really see them at their best. The Galah I mentioned is my favorite actually, she just kind of only knows how to bite to express her displeasure. It’s taken a while but I know her triggers fairly well and do my best to avoid them. Most of our tops are really very sweet, just thought it’d be fun to share the worst bites I’ve had over the years (I’ve been at this place for like 3 years). But I also realize that wasn’t the point of this thread .

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I think the clucking is fairly universal in amazons. My males do it too, but I'm not convinced its hormonal. Its more of a happy noise and they do it even as young birds. Although, it may also be hormonal. Yes, my females flatten their back, flutter their wings and do a clucking type noise.
I can hand most of my amazons a treat when they are caged. When out of the cage, Oscar will attack me on sight. Gremlin I can usually hand anything to, but during hormonal periods, I watch him carefully to make sure he's going to be nice. My females I never give a second thought to handing them toys or treats. I have one male that is on the nervous side. Something scary happened several years ago while I was putting him back in the cage and he associated it with me. He's getting over it, but its a slow process. He will now take treats from me in exchange for a step up. For a long time he'd just drop treats.
Lola's clucking is strictly hormonal. It's the only time she does it when the season ( now) arrives. I wasn't able to touch her head the first eight years she was here. Chalk that up to having to give her antibiotics for a pseudomonas bacteria she had gotten from the breeders house. She watched me for a long time scratching Henry's head and eventually came around. She started making these little whiney type sounds. After that first scratch she found out just what a pleasure it was and I've been scratching her head since... when she invites it. The past few months if I ignore the subtle hint - sitting by me while I'm changing her papers - she'll climb down to the bar on the bottom of the door blocking me from reaching into her cage. Gotta scritch that itchy head! They're so smart. When I give them their dinner I'll say "oooo... look what I have for you!" Floored me the first time I heard Henry say that.

I don't know about you but I feel like amazons can be the least trusting of a human... quick to react to non threatening daily movements.

MealyZon

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi Anyalyssa, I’m new here but funny thing I am in a similar situation as you since I’ve been looking for a Mealy Zon too, but in southern CA. I couldn’t find them at first! It was crazy. But when I googled “Mealy Amazon for sale near me” the local Recycler popped up with a 3y/o female for sale for $2500. She talks & has no problem being touched on her back, head rubbed. He sent me videos. So OMG I’m going to buy her tomorrow morning!! A lot of money.

But here’s the thing I haven’t told you. I have owned an absolutely beautiful blue crown Amazon for only 8 days now. He is about a year old & was hand fed by the owner of the bird store. He will not allow me to touch any part of him except his feet. He steps up & has said “Hi” so far. He’s very gentle, opens his mouth to bite but doesn’t & might have the beginnings of feather picking up high on his chest. I’ll give you the link to his photo that I have on this website. I feel badly but I’m returning him to the store tomorrow on my way to pick up the female mealy I mentioned. I really need a parrot I can touch or head scratch. Plus I’m worried about the beginnings of a feather picking habit. The other thing I did was call every parrot store within 2 hrs of driving time for me. I did find a 8 mo old female in a store for $3000. But only found her becuz I called every bird store near-ish me. So I actually located 3 Mealy Zons; 2 in a store, one in the recycler.
Please let me know how this goes!
I’m rooting for you!!

MealyZon

Checking out the neighborhood
Oh no, my very 1st posting made hrafn
sad : ( Ugh, I’m not off to a very good start. I’m guessing it’s because I’m returning the blue crown mealy I’ve had for 8 days... which I feel badly about. I agree not a great thing to do. But he & I were not a good match. I didn’t mention he growled at me a lot. And I don’t want to start out with a parrot that is already chewing his chest area & making his feathers twisted & curled. I’m recently retired, have lots of time to spend with a parrot & I really want to get a Mealy that I feel compatible with & that I can have a good start with. It’s been my dream bird since I was young. And I’ll have her until I “kick the bucket.” Then she’ll go to one of my 2 daughters.
Just wanted to say more about returning the blue crown Mealy. Even though I know it’s sad & I feel guilty about it.

Reactions: Ali

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I really hop this second Mealy works out for you.

My Mealy Solomon, has only ever let me pet his head, and I've had him 21 years. Have had him since a baby too. For the first 10 years or so, I wasn't he allowed to do that as he loved my daughters! But he is a joy to have and I'd miss him terribly if he was not here.

What will you do if you find the 3 yr old female becomes difficult?
Just because a video shows the owner can touch her, does not mean you will be able to.
Birds are different with different people. You won't know how this new Mealy will act until you have her.

I also have lovely 24 year old Cockatoo that picks her feathers.
She started years ago, and because of it is not the sleekly feathered beauty she once was.
At least not on the outside. What will you do if your new Mealy decides to do so?

I'm just saying you'll most likely never have a perfect bird.
You're returning a nice year old baby, for one that sounds nicer, but you've not met.

IMO you need to realize you'll get out of the relationship what you put into it, and what the bird will give.
It may not be what you expect or want. But as with people, you can't 'order' a perfect bird companion.
We just do our best to give our birds the best, and hope the love and companionship blossoms.

Sometimes it does. But other times it's an ongoing work in progress. Sometimes for years.
Please lower your expectations. Love the bird you have.

Last edited:

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
@macawpower58 I agree.

You never know exactly how a bird will, react. You could have been to visit a bird 5 or 6 times and it really lived you and your company, but after being moved to a new home they can and will change, be it a little or a lot.

There is no such thing as a perfect person. Why would you expect a perfect bird?

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My pionus wouldn't let me touch her for a month. She didn't want to step up onto my hand - we did negotiate and she decided that she would accept step onto a rope perch. She also decided she would accept treats from me so I target-trained her. However, mostly she watched me. She wanted to assess for herself whether she wanted me to be in her flock. It was hard to deal with as a complete novice - had I bought a bird that hated me? - but I knew I had to give her time and go at her pace. Even if she didn't like me much, I hoped that at least we could have a hands-off relationship and at least be companions to each other.

That was February 2017. Fast-forward three years and she's my little feathery buddy. We shower together, she's on my shoulder when I wash up, we hang out in the evenings, and she insists on spending about half an hour before bedtime just on my shoulder, dozing and getting headscratches. She's so, so different from the cautious baby of three years ago.

Eight days is nothing - it takes time and patience for a relationship to blossom. I'm sad that you're returning a baby who's done nothing wrong due to unrealistic expectations.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
@MealyZon
I have a Male Mealy, Kazoo since he was a baby he is now 11.I do not touch him beyond his head. He steps up just seeing my finger knowing to do so. I can sometimes scritche his belly, but I do not pet any of my birds.

They can get the mixed signal of our touch in a sexual way.

The growling noise you describe is 100% normal and just bluffing. They are still Amazons at the end of the day. Just not as hot as the other yellow headed species.
Your blue crown Mealy sounds like a great bird. Plucking and feather picking isn't common in Amazons unless their situation isn't ideal as far as things to do, flight and being busy enough to burn off their energy. They are large and powerful and very smart. They thrive on mental stimulation (foraging toys, foot toys) and independence (out of cage time, flight) Most of all seem to really enjoy other birds and seem to really love a companion bird of like in my experience owning two Amazons.

8 days is NOTHING, gained not accomplished in creating a bond or relationship with a parrot. You are giving up on a true gem and you will have no guarantee with a baby especially a female.

I only have boys, and both are amazing, calm and I will never worry about egg laying.

Last edited: