• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for a Southern Mealy

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I agree that rescue or rehoming is definitely better. I only really recently discovered nationwide UK rescues, and have already applied for a rescue!

I hope you consider looking into rescues

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Solomon is 21 years old and pretty much a perch potato.
Not to say he's not active, but he's happy playing on his perch or cage top.
Not so much when he was younger!

anyalyssa

Meeting neighbors
I don't have any experience with a Mealy so I can't offer any information as to what type of changes this species go through when they reach maturity. Hopefully you can find several Mealy owners, and specifically those will males that can attest to the phases they go through when they do mature and the subsequent periods of hormones. I brought my male yellow nape home when he was 5-6 months old. He was great to handle... until he reached five years of age and then all heck broke loose. It was like overnight he turned into a nasty wanna attack me bird. It lasted for a few months. He's 14 now and this is a yearly change he goes through like clock work. He's been calm and requesting head scratches for the past months and lately I'm seeing tiny changes in behavior. I know it's coming. He can be super charged in the morning and calm down later in the evening. I gave him skritches last night... tonight he didn't ask for them and did threaten me while I was wiping his top tray down. His threats are dead serious, he's flown at me before in a full attack. This type of behavior isn't the least "bratty"... it's dangerous. Definitely my least favorite time of year! At the age you are wanting a Mealy you won't see the full mature behavior for a couple of years. I've heard they are one of the nicer more calm species of amazons though I don't think there are any guarantees. Being consistent with a "toddler" has no bearing in my eyes when a bird comes into maturity. They simply cannot control this behavior and neither can you when it happens... you just have to be patient, kind, and understanding throughout this period. It's another reason many will suggest an older bird where you know what you are getting into if you are provided with the history of previous owners. My 'Zon Henry is in the "Hot Three" catagory of Amazons and he full well lives up to it.
Thank you for this. I haven't had anyone be this direct and specific before about "the change". Will be sharing this information with my boyfriend and shop friends. One of them has a Panamanian and she just turned 5. Everyone that has met the bird has been told that she is NOT typical Amazon in the she is just so calm and laid back, don't let that mislead about the breed.

I mention this bird, because this has been my only personal experience with that time. But her owner is the also the one who has shown me her scars from working with other Amazons during that phase, but she go into the details you did. She described it to me as you I did to you.

But I have seen first hand a bird just "randomly" completely change and turn on its owner and have to be surrendered. This the reason people have suggested that I don't limit myself to a male. I was originally led to believe that this was a hormonal female behavior, if you didn't breed them.

anyalyssa

Meeting neighbors
I'd look them up for rescue or rehome. I could be wrong, but what you are calling a southern mealy might be otherwise known as a guatamala mealy? Or blue crowned mealy amazon. You might have more success if you search for those. Or just search rehoming sites for mealy amazons and skip over the ads showing the northern. The blue crowned birds seem to be less common and neither is bred as commonly as many other species. You may end up finding more older birds for rehome than younger.
I replied to someone else about this; I stumbled into the breed while googling, and only found 2 of them at all, the northern and southern. The northern is illegal in the pet trade and has a blue crown, the southern is all green. That's all I found.

Reactions: Ali

anyalyssa

Meeting neighbors
I agree that rescue or rehoming is definitely better. I only really recently discovered nationwide UK rescues, and have already applied for a rescue!

I hope you consider looking into rescues
Would prefer to. In my op I had meant to say that I wanted a bird older than 2, but after reading everything here, I want one that is between 20 and 40!

anyalyssa

Meeting neighbors
Thank you, everyone! If I decide for certain that I want to adopt one of this type of bird, I'll be seeking a rescue between 20 and 40 years of age.

I live in South Eastern Georgia; can any of you recommend a site or group to help me find one? I can't travel more than 2 hours one way/4 hours round trip to get the bird, and I really really really don't want to have the bird shipped, if that can be avoided. Getting it out of a shelter and into a forever home, I'm okay with shipping if we have to.

I really want to be able to meet the bird first. I'm sure everyone can understand this. So if you've had positive experiences with adopting a bird you haven't met and had shipped, please share!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
What ages are considered "senior" for a bird like this?
Well into their 40s and 50s.

You can look into Phoenix Landing to see what they have in their foster homes. Also Petfinder.com is a great place to read about the birds in foster care listed by the rescues.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you mean Georgia the country or Georgia the state? WE have memebers from all over the world here.

anyalyssa

Meeting neighbors
Do you mean Georgia the country or Georgia the state? WE have memebers from all over the world here.
Oh, sorry! USA, the state of Georgia. I'm just outside of the city of Savannah, so I could easily be in Florida or South Carolina within the travel time I can afford.

ConureTiel

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Phoenix Landing serves the Jacksonville area in NE Florida -- if that is within your driving distance. :)

anyalyssa

Meeting neighbors
Well into their 40s and 50s.

You can look into Phoenix Landing to see what they have in their foster homes. Also Petfinder.com is a great place to read about the birds in foster care listed by the rescues.
Pet finder didn't have any that would be a good fit for me. They had 3 over 50, posted over a year ago, and 1 from this year that was not a pet; he's very aggressive and was a breeder.

Is there a way to search by type? I had to guess at which ones might be mealy based on the images and click to read more. I'm using my phone. Would a PC search be better?

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
A bit further down the thread below, there are quite a few Florida rescues. If I remember correctly, there msy have been a few mealys...

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Thank you for this. I haven't had anyone be this direct and specific before about "the change". Will be sharing this information with my boyfriend and shop friends. One of them has a Panamanian and she just turned 5. Everyone that has met the bird has been told that she is NOT typical Amazon in the she is just so calm and laid back, don't let that mislead about the breed.

I mention this bird, because this has been my only personal experience with that time. But her owner is the also the one who has shown me her scars from working with other Amazons during that phase, but she go into the details you did. She described it to me as you I did to you.

But I have seen first hand a bird just "randomly" completely change and turn on its owner and have to be surrendered. This the reason people have suggested that I don't limit myself to a male. I was originally led to believe that this was a hormonal female behavior, if you didn't breed them.
The best thing about your inquiry is seeking valuable information. There aren't many Mealy's as companion birds here on AA to give you enough information on the nature of this species. Those that do have them have nice things to say about them. My two amazons are in the category of the "Hot Three" and they both live up to it. One is female, the other male. Even during a hormonal period.. Lola is going through this now... she is nothing quite like Henry. All birds no matter what species they are have the potential to be more territorial and unpredictable about their surrounding space and cage when hormones hit. So many people don't understand it is seasonal or know how to deal with it..... it's challenging for sure! Sadly, the first option they seek is getting rid of them ( such an unpleasant term... surrender is a much nicer term). Definitely take your time looking for that special companion, even if it takes months or more. One of our members had a very sweet Blue Front Amazon ( she passed last year) and currently has a male Double Yellowhead he adopted who has a nice personality. I've tried tagging him but he's not coming up for me. Most people want a hands on bird, even if they are not you can still offer them a safe place to land in your home and give them the best life and in most cases a better life than what they had.

anyalyssa

Meeting neighbors
The best thing about your inquiry is seeking valuable information. There aren't many Mealy's as companion birds here on AA to give you enough information on the nature of this species. Those that do have them have nice things to say about them. My two amazons are in the category of the "Hot Three" and they both live up to it. One is female, the other male. Even during a hormonal period.. Lola is going through this now... she is nothing quite like Henry. All birds no matter what species they are have the potential to be more territorial and unpredictable about their surrounding space and cage when hormones hit. So many people don't understand it is seasonal or know how to deal with it..... it's challenging for sure! Sadly, the first option they seek is getting rid of them ( such an unpleasant term... surrender is a much nicer term). Definitely take your time looking for that special companion, even if it takes months or more. One of our members had a very sweet Blue Front Amazon ( she passed last year) and currently has a male Double Yellowhead he adopted who has a nice personality. I've tried tagging him but he's not coming up for me. Most people want a hands on bird, even if they are not you can still offer them a safe place to land in your home and give them the best life and in most cases a better life than what they had.
Hot three?? Not heard about this.

Amazons are my absolute favorite and ideal bird. Talking with you guys on this thread is giving me lots of hope that I might find an older bird with an individual personality that would be a great for me, that I might have otherwise overlooked because of the breed or type.

Breed specific traits are generalizations, and not true for every bird of that type. I hear this from everyone enough to trust that it's true :)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Hot three?? Not heard about this.

Amazons are my absolute favorite and ideal bird. Talking with you guys on this thread is giving me lots of hope that I might find an older bird with an individual personality that would be a great for me, that I might have otherwise overlooked because of the breed or type.

Breed specific traits are generalizations, and not true for every bird of that type. I hear this from everyone enough to trust that it's true :)
Yes... the Hot Three are the Blue Front, the Yellow Nape, and the Double yellow head. Hot three meaning the most temperamental.

anyalyssa

Meeting neighbors
Yes... the Hot Three are the Blue Front, the Yellow Nape, and the Double yellow head. Hot three meaning the most temperamental.
Yellow Nape has also been highly recommend to me based on my needs, but with the express caveat that I get an older one. Would you agree with this?

The bird mentioned in the OP, "Sadie", had been wild caught as a fledgling. At the time she was caught, this was still just how things were done in the parrot trade. Despite her tragic story, she was an absolutely wonderful bird. Even as a wild hyper kid, I could hold and pet her. Her owner now has a blue front, and a blue macaw. He's definitely a great bird keeper.

I've always been an animal enthusiast, and even as a young child I understood what captivity does to a wild animal, because I'm adopted. That analogy makes perfect sense to me. Seeing how "well behaved" Sadie was led me to believe that Amazons were just naturally like she was.

I'm sure it's no secret why I'm so drawn to birds in general. That intelligence that drives them to seek such deep companionship. The very thing I love so much about Amazons is, even though they can mimic human speech, they don't need it to convey how they really feel. They do so with much more than sounds. I'm sure other birds are much the same, but for reasons I don't fully understand, I just see and feel it more from an Amazon that any other breed.