• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for a Southern Mealy

anyalyssa

Meeting neighbors
I'm still researching and looking into different species, but the Southern Mealy sounds like it might be the right bird for me. But where do I find one??

I live in the Southern United States, and cannot travel more than 4 hours round trip to get the bird. I work literally every day driving delivery, but only 4-6 hours.

I really don't want to have the bird shipped as it's not best for the bird, and it's just smart to meet an animal before you agree to care for it. I also want a bird younger than 2 years old, would prefer a baby for obvious reasons, definitely want a male.

My first parrot experience ever was a Yellow-Fronted Amazon. This cemented the breed as my favorite for life. But I have long since realized that they are way too energetic for me. I can't deal with it for more than a few hours at a time, unless it's a smaller bird like a tiel.

Would love some feedback from anyone that has lived with one, and be honest with me. I don't want to adopt one that I can't properly care for.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
What is a Southern Mealy?
I have a Plain Colored Mealy (Amazona farinosa inornata ).
Then (if I remember correctly) there's the Blue Crowned Mealy, Costa Rican Mealy, and maybe one more I can't remember.
I'm never heard of the Southern Mealy.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I can tell you a rescue Mealy would make for a great bird.

They are big. They eat alot, and need a very diverse diet with very little seed, no mixes heavy with sunflower seeds. Lots of veggies, fruit as in berries, pears, papaya to bananas. Good nuts, almonds, pistachios, walnuts. Never over fed, 1 or 2 per day.

Excercise a MUST. Big birds that eat alot need to be able to burn off the calories and carbs.

Wonderful species, overlooked for the more colorful Amazons. Very smart, can be challenging, stubborn due to their high intelligence.

Petfinder.com always has a Mealy listed here and there. A baby is in the price range today for around $1900

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Mine were blue fronts. I have no mealy experience.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Your post you mentioned a prior Amazon and being energetic. They all are. A baby will grow and want to explore and possibly fly. A large Amazon needs a very large cage. And birds that can fly, go where they want are happy and confident.

They have to be out of their cages everyday. Somedays a few hours as we are here twice a day. This is all they know, their daily life I taught them.

I forgot the loud part. :yes3: they can sound off a few times a day. Usually with his counterpart.

But, he cracks me up when he calls me by my name.

Last edited:

anyalyssa

Meeting neighbors
What is a Southern Mealy?
I have a Plain Colored Mealy (Amazona farinosa inornata ).
Then (if I remember correctly) there's the Blue Crowned Mealy, Costa Rican Mealy, and maybe one more I can't remember.
I'm never heard of the Southern Mealy.
I've never heard of any of the ones you mentioned! LoL I didn't even know that any "Mealy" existed until last night, and only found mentions of 2. From what I read, the northern is not legal in the pet trade, but has a blue crown. The southern is plain green.

I just did a series of Google searches for calm large parrots, then read through the different Amazon varieties. The only Amazons I knew about before then were yellow/blue fronted, Panamanian (we have one in the shop) and orange wing because a quiz actually suggested that for me, along with Ciaque of all things!

anyalyssa

Meeting neighbors
I can tell you a rescue Mealy would make for a great bird.

They are big. They eat alot, and need a very diverse diet with very little seed, no mixes heavy with sunflower seeds. Lots of veggies, fruit as in berries, pears, papaya to bananas. Good nuts, almonds, pistachios, walnuts. Never over fed, 1 or 2 per day.

Excercise a MUST. Big birds that eat alot need to be able to burn off the calories and carbs.

Wonderful species, overlooked for the more colorful Amazons. Very smart, can be challenging, stubborn due to their high intelligence.

Petfinder.com always has a Mealy listed here and there. A baby is in the price range today for around $1900
They are all senior, and one that doesn't like women. And a lot of them a wild caught!
Where can I even find a baby? I found a single place in New Jersey and could possibly travel there.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I just want to double check you know that getting a baby will not ensure you have a best buddy for life? Lots of people do not realize the changes a baby bird can go through once it hits maturity and some of them changes can be life altering for the human or even heartbreaking for owners who assume buying a baby will get them a bird who is more bonded to them for life.

anyalyssa

Meeting neighbors
Your post you mentioned a prior Amazon and being energetic. They all are. A baby will grow and want to explore and possibly fly. A large Amazon needs a very large cage. And birds that can fly, go where they want are happy and confident.

They have to be out of their cages everyday. Somedays a few hours as we are here twice a day. This is all they know, their daily life I taught them.

I forgot the loud part. :yes3: they can sound off a few times a day. Usually with his counterpart.

But, he cracks me up when he calls me by my name.
Oh yes I completely expect at least a phase of a few years where they will get "bratty", and that's fine. I don't mind bursts of hyper energy. But if they are like that all the time, then this isn't the right bird for me. I have another post with what I'm looking for in a bird, and what I can deal with. I want people to be honest with me. I don't want to adopt a bird that won't be mutually happy in my home.

anyalyssa

Meeting neighbors
I just want to double check you know that getting a baby will not ensure you have a best buddy for life? Lots of people do not realize the changes a baby bird can go through once it hits maturity and some of them changes can be life altering for the human or even heartbreaking for owners who assume buying a baby will get them a bird who is more bonded to them for life.
Yes, and I've even seen it happen. If you can't be firm with them through the "toddler" phase and remain consistent, it's a permanent change. And with the long life of these birds I'm definitely open to a much older bird. But I don't want a senior bird. Ideally, I'd rather get one that was at least 2 years in age.

anyalyssa

Meeting neighbors
Oh I see an error in my original post. At the shop where I help out, a "baby" is anything under 5 years. I meant to say I don't want anything under 2 years.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd look them up for rescue or rehome. I could be wrong, but what you are calling a southern mealy might be otherwise known as a guatamala mealy? Or blue crowned mealy amazon. You might have more success if you search for those. Or just search rehoming sites for mealy amazons and skip over the ads showing the northern. The blue crowned birds seem to be less common and neither is bred as commonly as many other species. You may end up finding more older birds for rehome than younger.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Oh yes I completely expect at least a phase of a few years where they will get "bratty", and that's fine. I don't mind bursts of hyper energy. But if they are like that all the time, then this isn't the right bird for me. I have another post with what I'm looking for in a bird, and what I can deal with. I want people to be honest with me. I don't want to adopt a bird that won't be mutually happy in my home.
I don't have any experience with a Mealy so I can't offer any information as to what type of changes this species go through when they reach maturity. Hopefully you can find several Mealy owners, and specifically those will males that can attest to the phases they go through when they do mature and the subsequent periods of hormones. I brought my male yellow nape home when he was 5-6 months old. He was great to handle... until he reached five years of age and then all heck broke loose. It was like overnight he turned into a nasty wanna attack me bird. It lasted for a few months. He's 14 now and this is a yearly change he goes through like clock work. He's been calm and requesting head scratches for the past months and lately I'm seeing tiny changes in behavior. I know it's coming. He can be super charged in the morning and calm down later in the evening. I gave him skritches last night... tonight he didn't ask for them and did threaten me while I was wiping his top tray down. His threats are dead serious, he's flown at me before in a full attack. This type of behavior isn't the least "bratty"... it's dangerous. Definitely my least favorite time of year! At the age you are wanting a Mealy you won't see the full mature behavior for a couple of years. I've heard they are one of the nicer more calm species of amazons though I don't think there are any guarantees. Being consistent with a "toddler" has no bearing in my eyes when a bird comes into maturity. They simply cannot control this behavior and neither can you when it happens... you just have to be patient, kind, and understanding throughout this period. It's another reason many will suggest an older bird where you know what you are getting into if you are provided with the history of previous owners. My 'Zon Henry is in the "Hot Three" catagory of Amazons and he full well lives up to it.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Yes, and I've even seen it happen. If you can't be firm with them through the "toddler" phase and remain consistent, it's a permanent change. And with the long life of these birds I'm definitely open to a much older bird. But I don't want a senior bird. Ideally, I'd rather get one that was at least 2 years in age.
Kazoo was a baby when I got him almost 11 years ago. Birds live such a long time, that even as a teenager, that is still young.

You have to know the truths of this birds loud nature, and the possibility of being destructive. Yes, Kazoo walks the floor. He will not stay put. He can chew furniture if not watched, he has also ruined wood trim around windows here.

Other then that, he's a great bird. If you want a perch potato, you might get lucky with an older bird. One in their 20s isn't old. But a pre teen Mealy I have and there are days I wish I could find an off switch.

Last edited:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
They are all senior, and one that doesn't like women. And a lot of them a wild caught!
Where can I even find a baby? I found a single place in New Jersey and could possibly travel there.
Where are you located? The rescue I got my Cockatoo from had a Mealy not long ago. They are in NC.