• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Lola Broke the Tip of her Beak!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I also would put cayenne pepper paste on the end of it...this will stop the bleeding AND stop any pain...She will have a sore beak for a couple of days and may not want to eat...I would puree veggie for her and give her this for the next couple of days...I have been through this with a number of birds...a picture will help...

luvsgreys

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Many hugs to you and Lola and I hope she is feeling better soon! :hug8: I know how scary it can be bec it happened to Emmett about 8 months ago. :( Same thing, there was blood everywhere and I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I thought he had broken a blood feather. Because his beak is black it took me a few seconds to realize it was coming from his upper mandible tip. Just the tip broke off, but it still bled for a good few minutes..seemed like forever. I wish I knew about BF's cayenne salve..I would have used it on Em. I was just able to get some cornstarch on his beak and applied some light pressure for the few seconds he allowed. He was quiet and rested for the rest of the evening and did eat his mash for dinner, although I tried to spoon feed it to him so he didn't have to dip his sore beak into the food. By the next morning it had scabbed over and he was more active. His beak was sore for about a few weeks and although he stopped chipping wooden toys during that time, he still played with his shredding toys and ate and drank like before. I made sure to weigh him to make sure he was eating enough and I remember him only losing a couple grams..not enough to be concerned. :hug8: It still is extremely scary, and once Lola lets you get a better look at her beak you can see if you think she needs to see her Dr. :hug8:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I can't go near her right now without her freaking out and trying to get away from me and therefore hurting her beak more. You should hear her agonizing pain :( It's awful. I can't get a photo right now. I put the porridge in the cage and she is sitting near it and maybe contemplating eating it? She's looking at it. I added some cayenne to it.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't go near her right now without her freaking out and trying to get away from me and therefore hurting her beak more. You should hear her agonizing pain :( It's awful. I can't get a photo right now. I put the porridge in the cage and she is sitting near it and maybe contemplating eating it? She's looking at it. I added some cayenne to it.
:( So sorry. She will probably eat it. Be close to her but look away as if you aren't paying attention to her. Maybe she'll eat when she *thinks* you aren't looking. Birds are a bit weird in that way.:huh:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I think she is trying to nap now :( :(

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
aww- Poor baby!:( You're doing a great job caring for her even with her injury, I think I would have freaked out.. Hope she's Ok soon

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is she in a bright room? If so, I'd close the curtains or pull down the shades a bit to give her some privacy and darkness sort of speak.:( I'm sorry..:hug8:

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Poor Lola :hug8:

I had Joey break off the tip of his beak before and he did want to be left alone for a bit and it took him a while to touch the harder food. It's sensitive for sure but I'm sure she'll be back to her old self soon enough :)

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
how did it happen? I mean...the beak thing?

There must've been a hawk or something outside... set her off... flew right into a window but thankfully the blow was somewhat softened by the curtains.

She just took a few bites of porridge thankfully and she even wiped her beak on the perch and it didn't seem to hurt at all which is good. I think she might be preening now too.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Thank you so so so much. That's really helpful. I am sure that there is no tongue damage thankfully.

I am nervous though as one of the links says:
If the germinal layer has not been damaged, the new beak will grow in normally. Debriding or removing damaged tissue and antibiotics are frequently necessary. If the tongue is bleeding, it may stop. Even so, call your veterinarian, as treatment for infection and/or repair may be required.
I am going to give the vet a call.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I feel optimistic that she will be ok. :)

Just a bit sensitive, a bit battered and bruise right now. The beak can endure alot it seems.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
*sigh* Vet is not open today.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for her. I hope that she is will be ok.

Matt

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
She is actually playing with a toy and snapping pieces of pine wood! Very gently compared to normal but it looks like she is doing okay with the beak right now?

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
She will fine what works for her...tomorrow she will pull back a little but I really think she is going to be fine if she is playing like this!

Status
Not open for further replies.