• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Lola Broke the Tip of her Beak!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
Lots of hugs for lola:hug8:I would let her calm down and call the vet tomorrow :hug8:

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
:hug8: I'm sorry that happened!

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
She looks great:) When I took Chopper in they stopped the bleeding but did not give any antibiotics. Tomorrow if all is well and she were mine, I would not take her in. I might call just to talk to the vet if I felt it necessary, but only bring her in if that is what my vet felt best. It is stressful for them going in, so better to stay home if possible. You did a great job!

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I'm glad Lola is doing a little better. I only notice a little part of the beak being gone. When you can examine her further I'd look for sores and see if you can get some antibiotics so it doesn't get infected. :hug8: I bet her poor head hurts right now!

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
So sorry to hear about Lola's accident, let us know what the vet has to say when you talk to him/her.

Give her a little time if you were in the room when what ever it was frightened her she is associating that with you, I would suggest just sitting with her quietly and not trying to engage her right now.

Best of luck!

LittleGems

I've had to deal with 2 broken beak tips. The first time, it was a budgie, it was easter sunday, I had no quickstop, and cornstarch was NOT working. Thankfully at that time I lived 2 blocks from a vet clinic that was open 7 days a week! Although they did not normally treat birds, and in fact when I went in there was not even a vet in the clinic, a tech was able to get the bleeding stopped for me, and I was charged a whopping $25 LOL

The second time, was with my umbrella cockatoo. We were in a classroom giving a bird presentation to a room full of young kids. Somebody slammed a door, which startled Angel. She had been perched on the back of a chair, and when she jumped she ended up hitting her beak on the edge of one of the kids desks! Great huh, a bleeding injured bird in front of 30 kids :eek: the teacher managed to find some flour, and that thankfully did work! Angel was pretty much back to normal after the bleeding was stopped. But she was a very calm easy going bird to start with. None of my current flock would be that calm about being treated for an injury!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I'm so sorry to hear about the crash, I hope she is feeling better. If she lost a lot of blood provide extra iron and protein enriched foods.:hug8:

Paula

Walking the driveway
... only bring her in if that is what my vet felt best. It is stressful for them going in, so better to stay home if possible...
My two cents = I agree. It's such a dilemma, trying to assess whether a vet trip will make the situation better or worse. It sounds as though she's doing considerably better than she was earlier, right?
:hug8:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Oh no! Poor Lola :( Good to read she seems to be feeling a bit better. :hug8:

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Poor girlie, I just saw this, I hope she's feeling much better now? :hug8:

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Checking in to find out how Lola is doing tonight, Coco?

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Thanks guys :) It looks like she is much better now!! The tip of her beak clotted and formed a tiny scab. She is climbing and using her beak pretty much like normal and she is also back to loving me :heart: We had some good scratch sessions before she went to bed for the night. She's also enjoying the cayenne mash!

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Wonderful news!!

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Good News. I just read on Bird Talk that the tip of the top beak is by far the most sensitive part of the beak.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
:hug8: glad she's OK. :)

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue