• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Lola Broke the Tip of her Beak!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
She let me apply some corn starch but now won't let me touch it at all so I can't add cayenne or apply pressure or anything. Will try again soon. She is sitting in her cage stressed out and upset and might take a nap. I was going to take her to the vet but I don't want to stress her out anymore right now unless you think I should? What should I do??

Sunnyside

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Janice
This happened to Bella. My Vet did a beak repair, they used fiberglass to fill it in...

I hope she feels better!:hug8:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not sure what to tell you coco.Accept leaving lots of hugs for you and lola.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
This happened to Bella. My Vet did a beak repair, they used fiberglass to fill it in...

I hope she feels better!:hug8:
Really?! How much broke off? It was just the bottom tip of her upper mandible...??!!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Coco it is probably sore. If you have stopped the bleeding, I would let her rest and see how she seems. :hug8: Do you know how she did it?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
As long as it's not actively bleeding just leave it alone until you can get to the vet. If it is actively bleeding you may have to towel her to apply the cayenne. A necessary evil.

It's going to be painful for her to eat anything hard for a while. Make sure you offer softer food so she can still eat.

Sunnyside

Real Name
Janice
It was her tip, a tiny piece and she had a dig out on the side of her beak. It grew out and now it is gone but it did work. I thought it would fall off but it never did, very tough material! And the price, to me, was cheap....$89

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Never had this happen so not sure how urgent it is, but I would wait it out a bit and take her when she isn’t upset and stressed. Hope everything goes fine. :hug8:

Conurechicken

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Karen
If the bleeding has stopped, let her be for a while so her blood pressure can go down. This will help keep the bleeding under control. This is very painful for them as their are a lot of nerve endings at the beak tip. So the less you touch it, the better. She might want to only eat soft foods for a couple of days.

If the bleeding hasn't stopped or if there is a piece of beak still partially attached, you should take her in to your vet to have this repaired.

Wishing you luck!

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Coco it is probably sore. If you have stopped the bleeding, I would let her rest and see how she seems. :hug8: Do you know how she did it?
There must've been a hawk or something outside... set her off... flew right into a window but thankfully the blow was somewhat softened by the curtains.

Sparkles

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Iskra
I'm so sorry this has happened Coco :eek: I hope Lola will be ok soon :hug8:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:eek: Really? Was there bleeding? Poor sweet Lola.:(:hug8:

I know Emma breaks the tip regularly through cracking almond shells.. but no biggie.

How much broke off? Would you be able to post a photo?:huh:

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Awe poor baby. This happened to the tip of Duster's beak. Something spooked him too and he flew to the ground hard. I was able to stop the bleeding and he did not need a trip to the vet. I gave him only soft foods for a while as it was very sore.

Chopper on the hand was much worse. He was spooked and crashed into the cabinet. Blood everywhere. We could not see where it was bleeding from and it just kept coming. We got him in a carrier and took him in to the vet right away. Took them a while but they were able to stop the bleeding. It was coming from inside his mouth...the underside of his upper beak! How that happened, we have no clue.

So if the bleeding stops and it is only the tip, you might be ok.....hugs to you and Lola

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
:eek: Really? Was there bleeding? Poor sweet Lola.:(:hug8:

I know Emma breaks the tip regularly through cracking almond shells.. but no biggie.

How much broke off? Would you be able to post a photo?:huh:
There was a LOT of blood. A LOT LOT LOT all over the table chairs floor etc. Just cleaned it all up :( Realized it's all over my shirt too though. :(

I will try to get a photo.

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
It's amazing how much they bleed! We were so worried with Chopper....is it stopped now?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
You want to keep her warm and hydrated and also lower perches and food bowls so that she doesn't have to use her beak to get around. If she shows any signs of being lethargic or unbalanced because of the blood loss I would get her in immediately. Prayers for you both.

Ginger

HungryBird

Oh my gosh that's terrible! I would take her to the vet because I would be afraid I wouldn't know what to do. I would also want the vet to decide if she needs antibiotics. Does it look like she is still in pain?

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There was a LOT of blood. A LOT LOT LOT all over the table chairs floor etc. Just cleaned it all up :( Realized it's all over my shirt too though. :(

I will try to get a photo.

Oh no..:( I wish I could provide advice. I would keep her warm, calm and in her cage until tomorrow. Make sure she drinks and eats if possible and is kept occupied. If she doesn't feel like eating at all today it will be understandable but maybe you could offer her something mushy like oatmeal. Offer her her most favourite comfort foods. Keep your environment calm and peaceful. Maybe play soft music but no excitement or goofiness.

When did this happen?

I would take her to the vet tomorrow to examine her beak trauma.:( I'm so sorry. I really wish we could know what set her off like that.:hug8:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry to hear this,I hope Miss Lola will be ok. :hug8: to both of you.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Thanks guys. It's stopped bleeding. I just cooked her some soft, mushy porridge and will spoon feed it to her. She seems very startled and just wants alone time I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.