• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Lola Broke the Tip of her Beak!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:) Ah.. she likes pine now.:)

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
She is actually playing with a toy and snapping pieces of pine wood! Very gently compared to normal but it looks like she is doing okay with the beak right now?
So sorry, Coco, jarring of her head at impact might of hurt more than her beak, happy to hear her beak stopped bleeding.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
that's very encouraging news that she's playing with wood, Coco!

:hug8: for you and Lola!:heart:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco

So sorry, Coco, jarring of her head at impact might of hurt more than her beak, happy to hear her beak stopped bleeding.
Luckily I was right there when it happened and it wasn't very hard-- no head impact. Thanks for your help though :)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
poor baby!!! :hug8:

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award

Luckily I was right there when it happened and it wasn't very hard-- no head impact. Thanks for your help though :)
Thank god, :hug8:

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Thanks guys. It's stopped bleeding. I just cooked her some soft, mushy porridge and will spoon feed it to her. She seems very startled and just wants alone time I think.
Gingers' advice was excellent; re-design her cage, lowering all perches & cups. You need to minimize Lola needing to use her beak to climb. Poor baby, your vet should have a look of course.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Gingers' advice was excellent; re-design her cage, lowering all perches & cups. You need to minimize Lola needing to use her beak to climb. Poor baby, your vet should have a look of course.
Thanks Doris. For now she is surprisingly using her beak to climb and is okay with it. I think I'm going to give it a bit more time to calm and then rearrange her cage for her as Ginger suggested (thanks!). Right now I don't want to stress her too much as this morning was very crazy for her.

Doris, you'll be happy to know she is eating your parrot porridge base with some added cayenne and loving it :)

Sunnyside

Real Name
Janice
Coco, when Bella had her accident and I took her to the Vets I did not need to do so....He said it would grow out on it's own and he did not give us antibiotics. If she is already chewing on her wood, I bet she is already feeling better!!!:hug8:

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
You did the right thing by making her mushy food. For the next day or two, she will be a bit sore, but she'll be back to new before you know it. I have seen tons of beak tips in my day. Just be sure to wash off the corn starch in another couple of hours because that is a food product and will grow bacteria. Just wait a bit to make sure that the blood has totally clotted.

She'll be fine. She has a boo boo but it will feel better soon. Lots of mushy foods for the little girl.

I will probably get blasted for this, but, I would merely keep an eye on her and see how she is doing. I avoid vet visits unless necessary because vet offices are crawling with illness.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Coco, when Bella had her accident and I took her to the Vets I did not need to do so....He said it would grow out on it's own and he did not give us antibiotics. If she is already chewing on her wood, I bet she is already feeling better!!!:hug8:
Thank you :) I am still going to call and explain first thing tomorrow and leave it up to them. I might take her in regardless just to make sure a veterinary professional gets a look at it but she does seem to be okay right now. She is preening and using her beak comfortably at the moment.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
You did the right thing by making her mushy food. For the next day or two, she will be a bit sore, but she'll be back to new before you know it. I have seen tons of beak tips in my day. Just be sure to wash off the corn starch in another couple of hours because that is a food product and will grow bacteria. Just wait a bit to make sure that the blood has totally clotted.

She'll be fine. She has a boo boo but it will feel better soon. Lots of mushy foods for the little girl.
Ah, thank you! Good advice. I will definitely do that. I appreciate it :)

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Okay, I snapped a photo.

It doesn't look like a lot is missing BUT keep in mind that her beak was very long and curved (normal for a Cape). I would say about 1/2 to 3/4 of a centimeter snapped off. Very thin but there was a lot of blood.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:huh: Poor Lola. I must admit that it does make her look a bit different without that curved tip. Still very cute though..:heart: Is she feeling better about letting you handle her?:)
She's in the Kings Carrier?

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Honestly, she looks fine. I wouldn't take her to the vet, Coco. Don't expose her unnecessarily to diseases.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Good Morning,

Please try and relax, from the pictures and your description of how she is acting, I believe she will be fine. You can offer mushy foods for a couple of days but my instinct says she will be eating what she wants in no time. If you fees she is in pain, send me a PM.

If this were one of mine I would add 2 drops of GSE to here water to keep the bacteria count low in the water and minimize any bacteria associated with the fracture of the beak and keep an eye on her.

You can call your avian vet in the AM should you feel the need.

Gary

Last edited:

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
Aw poor Lola:hug8:

My mom's G2, Spike, snapped the tip of his beak off a few years ago when he slipped and fell off his cage:( It was bleeding like crazy so we rushed him to the vet and they were able to stop the bleeding. I had him toweled with pressure on his beak tip on the drive there, and the towel was stained with red all over by the end of it! We soaked his pellets until they were mushy for the next couple of days (he was very stubborn about eating much else at that time), and he was fine.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
:huh: Poor Lola. I must admit that it does make her look a bit different without that curved tip. Still very cute though..:heart: Is she feeling better about letting you handle her?:)
She's in the Kings Carrier?
Still no handling whatsoever :( She's in the full-sized aluminum King's cage. We're visiting my parents... much more woodsy area, hence the hawks.

Honestly, she looks fine. I wouldn't take her to the vet, Coco. Don't expose her unnecessarily to diseases.
Thanks Kathie :)

Good Morning,

Please try and relax, from the pictures and your description of how she is acting, I believe she will be fine. You can offer mushy foods for a couple of days but my instinct says she will be eating what she wants in no time.

If this were one of mine I would add 2 drops of GSE to here water to keep the bacteria count low in the water and minimize any bacteria associated with the fracture of the beak and keep an eye on her.

You can call your avian vet in the AM should you feel the need.

Gary
Thanks Gary -- I really appreciate it :) Great advice.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
:hug8::hug8: So happy Lola seems to be feeling better!

Status
Not open for further replies.