• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Less waste wishes

DustyFluff

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi! This is my first post, I am looking to get opinions on the best cockatiel foods for picky eaters. Both seed & pellets. My feathered baby doesn’t like any big pieces and usually pushes all other food to the side and goes for seed or very small food pieces in his bowl. I currently have my tiel on a blend of Zupreem Fruit Blend Pellets, Harrison’s High Potency Fine Pellets, Healthy Select Cockatiel Diet Seed, and a blend of 21 dehydrated veggies & fruit that I buy from a small business on Etsy. I offer fresh greens & veggie options every other day as I am just introducing it and millet and Nutriberries for treats. I was told by the pet shop that while they are still babies they need a higher fat diet, Dusty is 4 months old if it helps. I just want to help reduce waste and also provide healthy choices for my bird.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Hi
How are you offering the veggies?

I think waste personally is just part of bird keeper I swear they throw loads of floor

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I just want to help reduce waste and also provide healthy choices for my bird.
When offering those veggies, even the freeze dried stuff if you want, use a tray instead of a bowl. Somthing they can get into, forage about on and explore the new foods with space to push, move and kick the foods while still staying on the tray.
Offering the freeze dried, and even pellets in smaller quantities can help reduce waste also.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The waste is why I don't like blends!

Wider bowls or a tray like Zara says can help.
Offer less food overall so they can't fill up on favorites
Cut out blends that your bird isn't eating much of

Remember a few things:
- Birds naturally avoid "new" things. New can be dangerous. So they will often only eat things that that recognize as food at first. This is instinct.
- Part of a bird's job in the ecosystem is to be messy and wasteful. In the wild, when they drop pieces of fruits, etc, those fall to the ground and either fertilize the plants or feed other animals/insects that otherwise couldn't reach them.

You have a baby, and it will take time to get them to eat everything you want, especially if they have been raised on a seed only diet.

Some tips in here may help:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Are you giving freeze dried vegetables or dehydrated? Dehydrated loses a lot of nutrients. I would suggest freeze dried instead.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
:welave:

i wish I had less wast too!
Sometimes I mix into a bird bread. or into cooked quinoa, or cooked lentil, or mix in with sprouts, or make birdie omelet...tho I been lazy as heck lately. Need to get back on it!

Birds are nature's dispersers , there is definitely going to be waste , take one bite and fling it mentality! ;)