• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kakariki - Food aggression

PrivateInc

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Bryson
So I've had my Kakariki for just over five months now and for the first 2 months everything was fine. Maybe about 3 months ish he has becoming quite aggressive when I try to remove his food out of his cage, I only do this when I need to change food or give him a top up. He will see my hand coming to his feeder and bite my hand. side note I can tell it is more of a warning bite than a full force bite. I believe his has developed cage aggression because he use to come out of his cage quite frequently but now he just spends all day in his cage and when i try to remove him he just flies back to his cage. Any advice would be great help and very much appreciated.

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
:bump4:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Everything inside his cage is his and you are trespassing. Kakariki are known for being territorial and I have experienced it myself. In my case the birds never stopped with me long enough to work out a strategy other than using a cage with feeder doors.
I honestly don't know who else to tag, there"s not many on this forum that I know of.

keirieski17

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
I think there was someone on here recently with 4 kakarikis? I can’t remember the username :banghead:

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Riti was a hen and was NOT a hand trained girl at all. She'd wait for the bowl of goodies and then dive in. Ate almost everything I offered here with gusto. Blackberries were a favorite for her and a nightmare to me. First time I looked over and her foot was covered with blood. Well maybe not, strange she doesn't act hurt? Well she used a foot to hold her food and that right foot that was covered in blood? it was blackberry juice. But she never attacked my hand but she would get into the other cages and run Da Tielish Ones out and and chow down on their supper.